Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Silkroad Online recreation - as indie fan version

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay so I've been a fan of sro ever since 60 caps. Ever since euro came out and changed that job experience, i started losing joy for playing. Couple of weeks ago i just completely lost my joy of playing. Yes took long enough.

So I've always done 3d work , especially with games, 3d modeling, animating, texture, etc.

So I've been wondering maybe i can dedicate my spare time to re create sro like it was before. Now keep in mind this would be a indie fan made version NOT AAA material.

I will not try to create a game that can handle 1000+ players. Im only 1 person and cant really do that. I for one can assure 100-300 players on a server top lol.

What am i really looming forward to making?

*well the sro mobs, characters, and items are already there so thats one big part thats alrdy done. I just gotta export them , animate them nd maybe increase texture resolutions to look better.
*just 70 cap content. No Ctf or Fw. NO euro. Just pure chinese.
*Jangan , donwhang and hotan regions only.
*My main plan is not to re create the old same sro, but create a new gameplay as well, new content , new unique fights style , awesome events etc etc.

SO AGAIN I'M NOT TRYING TO CREATE A AAAX MMORPG , NO NO. JUST AN INDIE FAN MADE SRO.

But, I'm looking forward for community support on this project. I will have a blog, videos, and possibly weekly twitch live session's to show the development process.

Again for those flamers out there. Im not trying to create the next AAA+ joymax awesome version of sro. Just a simple 70 cap version of sro with 300 players top since im not pro enough to handle 1000+ players. So for those flamers out there , if i fail i will keep improving and try my best to fix all my failures. I dont need donations , money or anythjng this is for pure fun. Yes it will get released for public personal usage.

Sorry for my grammar, im actually typing this on my phone.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
This would be interesting, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Whats your twitch?

I don't have a twitch account yet lol , but my pc is top notch so it is a option in willing to do for fun if the community would like

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You going to make a site /server or something for this project? I enjoyed Sro back in the day and like the idea of a Chinese only server.

Yes of course there will be a site for it. A server will be open as alpha test once first region "jangan" is completed.

Retired
Reaction score
More important question:
Programming Language: C++? C#? etc...
Which Rendering Library: OpenGL? DirectX? Ready-To-Use Unity/Unreal/Crysis?

I am not working on an indie imbued SRO tribute, more doing my own game atm, but might be interesting seeing some results here.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
More important question:
Programming Language: C++? C#? etc...
Which Rendering Library: OpenGL? DirectX? Ready-To-Use Unity/Unreal/Crysis?

I am not working on an indie imbued SRO tribute, more doing my own game atm, but might be interesting seeing some results here.

Okay i'll answer those questions. Keep in mind im posting from my phone so don't mind my grammar.

* Since its only a indie fan version for fun and not AAA material. I'll be using Unreal Engine 4 because its open source. SO networking will be done in C++ using the open source to only support atleast 300 players , more than that is not really a matter of needs since sro is actually dead and im not a professional.

For regular client events that does not require networking I will be using unreal engine 4 blueprint.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Anyone has any suggestions on what they would want on sro ?

Im starting to work on the project already. I should have a website soon up. Any suggestion is welcome so I can have a road map on what to implement and etc etc.

Ive started to 3d model the town already. Even tho I am looking for a town that looks 90% the same as original jangan town. I will be changing some geometry here and there for a better use later on.

Jangan_scene_02 - Silkroad Online recreation - as indie fan version - RaGEZONE Forums

I will provide with more pictures as soon as I texture them , and take them to zbrush for further details.

I will also a provide a website soon. Stay tuned

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
How are you progressing on this P0kemonMast? Have you made your twitch account and setup your website or blog yet? :)

Hey :)

Dont have a site up YET. I do have a domain tho silkroadzero.com that will be up and running soon maybe 2-3 days.

Now reason why I have not posted any pics or the site aint up is because I am still modeling , just modeling theres still no textures on them. So it is not a fun thing to see yet. Getting all models to lign up together , and trying to figure out how CLOSE do i want to make it to original sro . I do want to make it hey 70% close to sro so once you login you can FEEL the sro atmosphere on it , but I feel like i should take it a little different direction in terms of the actual landscape.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I got a quick question to the community. Don't mind my grammar, im on a phone swiping.

Since it's indie fan, does the actual map needs to be 100% like sro? Or do u guys want different map here and there? I plan on keeping the towns 80% same.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Is the project still moving forward? :)

of course , I just dont feel like i have anything good to show to actually get attention just yet. I can probably show some basic work done later. The way is going I feel like I MAY take long on actually fully finishing jangan region.

But hey if that does happen , i'll just end up releasing the game for "early access" release. Might do steam or just here in this forums. Than i'll just update the game with a launcher like that community can see work being done. Thats most likely my plan. But id give 2 months or so more before this actually happens.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sorry guys , this project is still on going. Just been busy lately with real and life and trying to create it as well. I wont be updating much here. Next time I post will be with a website , short video and maybe update to a live stream. BUT best assure that this project is still going and will keep going.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
why you no use Unity 3D? i was working a same system Silkroad in a mmorpg but differente caracters and mobs town etc..

Retired
Reaction score
Making games public with Unity 3D engine might have consequences what copyright, trademark and distribution gets along.
Every "ready to use"-engine has its conditions if using and going to make it public (meaning by that, if you are sharing that project with your friends, selling it on the public domain, advertising with it on YouTube, etc.), it is not really advised using them, as long you are going straight for private projects.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@blapanda

Which DX tutorials are you using? Seems like I would like to do something mine too ^^

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i suggest you better start from character system, becouse you can make map any time.
Here some suggestions:
- character creation
- character basic save/load
- character basic animations with working movement.
- character basic stats - hp/mp

Back