Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Silkroad Online recreation - as indie fan version

Retired
Reaction score
@blapanda

Which DX tutorials are you using? Seems like I would like to do something mine too ^^
Just OpenGL and Unreal Engine websites. YouTube is basically a learning platform either. Just google for it and hope being luckyfinding any up to date tutorials
i suggest you better start from character system, becouse you can make map any time.
Here some suggestions:
- character creation
- character basic save/load
- character basic animations with working movement.
- character basic stats - hp/mp
Well, character creation and saving/loading shouldn't be that hard, because most of them could be easily scripted in arrays (selecting from a preset, alike shops with items will be coded).
Stats for characters are the easiest one. Declare some integers on any length, define them with different specific names, give them a value, set them all in a class, while creating your male and female characters, give them the class (as Joymax did with any of those characters ingame). There are no special characters with more less STR INT walk speed etc. not hard-coded, tho. But we could easily modify the addnewchar procedure, while using the char ID (uhm, going to take a random one below 19xx, since those are chinese chars) 1896, lets say that's monkey like Chinese male char, if selecting that character, update _char table, give that little Bastard more STR to start with and increase his inventory size too. For the walk speed, there is no declaration, so a permanent buff (infinite duration, uncancleable) should work as a bypass.
Map additions are quite harder and more time consuming, since you have to calculate the portions of each segment, place them, make a walkable ground/surface level, adding navigationsmeshes so players won't stuck or fall through the ground, adding obstacles... Coloring those areas (still asking myself why Joymax messed up Jangan so much with those randomly sand texture placements around tiger mountain... Happened right after EU release).
Either way, it's quite a lot of work.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Does'nt he use game engine like unity?
So map collision and navmesh creates byself?

I would like to better see, progress in characters(simple walking, equip system, stats, basic combat) and runing around on cube. than
having map that you can see in silkroad anytime.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Does'nt he use game engine like unity?
So map collision and navmesh creates byself?

I would like to better see, progress in characters(simple walking, equip system, stats, basic combat) and runing around on cube. than
having map that you can see in silkroad anytime.

Well for character creation it aint that hard really , especially if im using the same characters as currently in sro with just some higher texture just a tad bit. Its just a matter of allowing the client send data to the server , database and from there on reading base on those data. No huge character creation system will be made either since this game isnt really even mine.

The map on the other hand im trying to stay away from it being 100% current jangan. I wanna give it a unique living environment while still maintaining that jangan feeling. Dont get me wrong i do work on character /stats/equipments time to time , but i give the map a lot more time since i feel is the hardest for me and i want a smooth gameplay/fps.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
could you please tell me, do you use game engine? if so tell me name. i would like to contribute to this project.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
could you please tell me, do you use game engine? if so tell me name. i would like to contribute to this project.

yes im using unreal engine 4. Not the build released one , im compiling it my self so I can use the server side of it as well.

Back