[development] maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    12Posts

Re: [development] maps

Quote Originally Posted by likertuban View Post
    Dealing with the bsp binary is easy, but I'm not come from programming background, dealing with the contain is harder than expected
    I can't even understand what is vector, node, leaf, uv, uv lightning, etc
    And I can't write D3D program tool for it :'(
    The only thing I manage is draw the 2D mini map based on the bsp.hahaha

Then you can start with these, joke :D, but maybe others really want to learn more about. Some stuff are not really working with RF, but at least there are explanations for what things are, and what they do. ^_^

BSP: Link
    BSP: link

UV's: Link
    Lightmap: Link
    etc: Link Link Link

Also some things i learned about formats:

.r3e means " r3- rf engine", and last "e" stands for entity, entity are stuff on map like trees, rocks, extra objects placed on map, besides the bsp geometry, also r3e can store simple animation, not sure if is animated texture or object animation.

Theory for .r3m, means " r3 - rf engine ", and last " m " is the material for one or multiple objects, related to shader/texture
    Last edited by kindland2009; 24-07-18 at 08:58 PM.

The OmegaRank
    Apr 2005 Join Date

Quote Originally Posted by kindland2009 View Post
    True, but also nobody has made yet a custom map. Someone skilled could look into quake 2 bsp source and rf source, and could make something, nobody went that far. Also that map tool comes with full source, again someone skilled could expand the coding and add bsp editing directly in the map tool, and edit terrain live in editor. Would be cool to see any server bringing something new to the table, yet time is passing and we "the peoples" have to move on :)

ps. excuse my engrish
    Some of us refuse to move on regardless of how much time passes.

Development is being done, it's just not being done here. People don't like the community here @ RZ (there are plenty of reasons for that), so not only is there not much reason to post here, most of this work stays elsewhere intentionally, or in most cases, completely private.

It's not as simple as "expanding the map tool". Plenty of people have tried. Some are still working on it.

Even if it were that easy, what will custom maps do? That doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's still the same game. Every server still has the same chip war mechanics. Every server has the same bugs and "custom" features (if you buy the same zone guards). New maps aren't features, they are just an excuse to recolor another set of items and call it a new level cap.

There are more interesting things that could be brought to the table.
    RF-Dev Team

Join RF Online development chat and support on Discord!
    https://discord.gg/KNqWYJN

ModeratorRank
    Apr 2012 Join Date
    2,205Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kindland2009 View Post
    Then you can start with these, joke :D, but maybe others really want to learn more about. Some stuff are not really working with RF, but at least there are explanations for what things are, and what they do. ^_^

BSP: link

UV's: Link
    Lightmap: Link
    etc: Link Link Link

Also some things i learned about formats:

.r3e means " r3- rf engine", and last "e" stands for entity, entity are stuff on map like trees, rocks, extra objects placed on map, besides the bsp geometry, also r3e can store simple animation, not sure if is animated texture or object animation.

Theory for .r3m, means " r3 - rf engine ", and last " m " is the material for one or multiple objects, related to shader/texture
    hahaha, that is easier to said than to be done, even if I know what it is or how to work with it, I'm still unable to make tool with D3D yet as of now this kind of tool is the only things I can make :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	163430
    well, when the time comes, it will comes after all, RF is just one of my hobby, no need to be in a rush ^_^

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    12Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Some of us refuse to move on regardless of how much time passes
    Yeah i was referring to players, i know there are still dedicated devs that continue only because they love RF so much, if you don't have a passion for it, is hard to keep up with it for so many years.

When i said " we the peoples have to move on " it's because the market is being flooded with games everyday, some free some not, with insane graphics and character movement, which will put RF more and more on second place in regards of game choices for players.

And you right only some map changes will not change much, maybe a complete redone like UE4, or someone with complete source to write new features, improving character movement "fluid w-a-s-d and real jump, not that V", adding new skill animations. Changing the way siegekit works for accretia. Back then, when there wasn't many games siegekit was ok, but now is a bit funny to pvp like that, placing your siege kit and waiting for target to come, you know what i mean ^_^.

But yeah, back to maps-development thread, custom maps will not bring new players, but are still good for existing players to see something new :)

- - - Updated - - -

hahaha, that is easier to said than to be done, even if I know what it is or how to work with it, I'm still unable to make tool with D3D yet as of now this kind of tool is the only things I can make :

well, when the time comes, it will comes after all, RF is just one of my hobby, no need to be in a rush ^_^
    That's interesting, is like a point cloud :D, i think you can replace all minimaps and make them better :)

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    12Posts

I replied to both, for some reason i can't see the reply's Oo

ModeratorRank
    Apr 2012 Join Date
    2,205Posts

It's not minimap, it's drawing the whole bsp and ebp map in 2D only taking X and Z coordinate with a scale 1:2 or so I forgot.

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    12Posts

Still cool, could this be used online?, like on a website and add pins where mobs or point of interests are?, could be a neat feature :)

MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    100Posts

Dude taking a fresh new map tool from busted source code into compiling state took me less than a day. Granted I had already done it years ago but still it doesn't take long. Fixing the random crash bugs doesn't take much time afterwards.
    Just because you can't figure out how to compile source code doesn't mean other people can't, another example is elsewhere.

As for the thread deleting stuff: Don't be dumb, everybody knows the threads being talked about. I'll give you a hint they contain facts like compiling both client-side and server-side is possible. Then a thread about trying to track down old (pre GIGA3) sets of client files by a person who informed you compiling the client-side and server-side is possible.
    Ask yourself one simple question. Why do I rarely post here anymore?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Advertisement