Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Development] RFCP v2.0

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Some of you may know me. I ran Freedom RF and created the RFCP. It was used by agony and myself. We never publicly released it for various reasons.

I am currently looking at new job opportunities and since I can't really show anything from my current job, one thing that may really benefit me is to create a portfolio piece.

The RFCP was coded very quickly and I ignored some typical coding standards and organization to get things done. But, I did create, what people have told me, the best RF Game CP ever.

That brings me to the point of this thread. I am considering porting the code I currently have to the MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express, Angular, Node) and making it open source. Instead of the game cp table in the SQL database, it would be in a MongoDB. Of course, other things such as purchasing items would interact with the SQL database.

That being said, I am trying to figure out if there is still a community out here and if this is something would be desired (I don't want to waste my time). My current position at my company is Lead Software Developer, so I am not coming to you as a noob. I want to create a professional product as my portfolio piece (potential employers will only care about the control panel, not the game or shadiness behind it).

Please let me know if you are interested. Also, let me know any questions / thoughts / suggestions (we will get into specific functional suggestions later on).

Greg

Reaction score
i dont have knowledge about MongoDB, but lately a lot of people talked about laravel framework, perhaps you could use laravel (just a suggestion) :p:
for a team, i doubt there's expert in web who willing to "team up" most of here now is greenhorn which still learning (including myself) while the expert make their own web "alone"...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am not looking for a team. If I do this, it will be well documented. Laravel looks nice, but it isn't anything I have seen any company using or looking for developers for it. MEAN stack is growing in popularity and something that would benefit me greatly skill wise.

Reaction score
Hey Greg, I remember when you guys were working on that game cp, I know it's clean and looks great. I myself would like to see it out there. Agony and I try to get with you on skype but to no avail at times. Also it would kill Aaron which gives crappy support!

Leech feeder.
Reaction score
Never dealt with mongo myself. So can't say anything about it. My current experience rests on postgres.
But i must admit - the code i wrote for the gamecp looks embarrassing to me now. And the whole project - looks a bit badly designed.
But it was a starting point for me to move to web coding. And working full time now i gave up on rf.

I had random thoughts about it after i talked with you about it in skype - when rf still had population it would have been best to create it as a web service - where people would have "subscribed" and gotten access to the gamecp on a virtual server - not full source.

But not anymore. I doubt there is even 10 active servers with people who actually do any development or got any notable population.

So at this point i don't think the gamecp is worth the time to code a new one with that small population.

Reaction score
Yea I feel ya on that! I finally finally stepped away from RF. There are a few I point in the right direction on skype but other than that I just uploaded all my stuff and leaving it there for good! There's a group out there now just ddos'ing servers to keep them down and demanding items and money to stop now days. RF is very much dead unless by some miracle the newest KO version gets leaked lol

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Even if only a few use it, it is still easier to use this for a portfolio piece. There were still bugs with what we created and I didn't like the design at all, but it was the quickest way for me to get it done and get my server up. That is why I never released it. Also, since it will be completely open sourced, you do not have to be an expert in the technologies. I will provide all of the necessary information to get things going. Some tweaks I am thinking about would provide more separation between the control panel and the game. Mongo would hold all the necessary information for the control panel and the control panel would only require one account where you can manage multiple game accounts. And I would probably make it work with third party logins such as Facebook and Google. I am leaning more and more toward doing this project and may get started next week. I really just haven't found a more interesting portfolio piece that wouldn't seem like "fluff". At least doing this would show my skill in integrating the MEAN stack with another product.

Leech feeder.
Reaction score
So i guess you go git then aswell?

What about ui? Something like backbonejs, bootstrap, jquery, bootbox, jqueryui, knockout would likely cover all the needs.
Unless you got Extjs licene.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The MEAN stack is all inclusive. The A is for angular. I will probably use Bootstrap and jQuery along with it.

Back