Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Looking for a way to convert .ani

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello !

I'm currently looking for a way to convert a .ani file of a mob for example to a usable animation file to use on Unity. I have already searched through the forum for any topics that could help me but I didn't find anything really helping.

I need it for personal use on Unity, since I'm learning to do a small game and I wanted to use flyff models for this private project.
Excuse me if there's some english errors, english's not my main language :p

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is no way to convert *.ani file straigh into Unity engine. You should search for 3DsMax scripts and this way convert it into one of the Unity supported files.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What do you mean by 3DsMax Scripts ? Like, I don't understand what I should do with those and what to search.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So You need graphic animations? I thought You need animations for 3D models for Unity game engine.
Well, if these are graphic animations then try to export them frame by frame and but them back together in Unity.

Sorry for confusion.

There are at least few tools that allow You to open *.ani files - for example AniTuner. You can open the file and export each frame so then You can put it back together in Unity. Ofc, *.ani file can have additional game engine encryption, in that case, You will have to decrypt it first, but I doubht it was ecnrypted, so try to use AniTuner.

GL.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
No no ! I really meant animation for 3D Models heh. But like, I don't have any idea of what to search to find a 3DS Max script that can do this and works for Flyff.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
@Foufou:
Where are you from ?
I think a good start is to have a look on the source of A-TOOLS (find here in forum) !
The ModelEditor create an ani file if an animation is in the model...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gzz, then You confused me :D

Ok, there are scripts - addons for 3DsMax, which sometimes allow You convert / export files into other files extantions (with additional options). You can search on google - *.ani scrypt for 3DsMax, You should find something.
If You don't know how to use script - You can even find video tutorial on YT. The process is the same for each script (but after all, it can be seen in different places - depends how original author choose it to be).

It may be that one script won't allow You to convert it straight into Unity, so keep on exporting and converting till You get one of input files from Unity. Just make sure it support animations and not only 3D mesh :D

GL

I think a good start is to have a look on the source of A-TOOLS (find here in forum) !The ModelEditor create an ani file if an animation is in the model...
Now I'm curious as well. Can You post a link to that tool please? :)

EDIT:
Ok, nevermind, I've found it: http://forum.ragezone.com/f457/atools-v1-0-world-sfx-1057967/
I will go and test it myself :D Thx for into :D

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
No no ! I really meant animation for 3D Models heh. But like, I don't have any idea of what to search to find a 3DS Max script that can do this and works for Flyff.

Belgium heh, the french part of Belgium. And yeah, I have A-Tools, but A-Tools can't export animations in a format I can open on unity.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Belgium heh, the french part of Belgium. And yeah, I have A-Tools, but A-Tools can't export animations in a format I can open on unity.
Ok, then export it with one of A-TOOL file extantion, and open it with - for example - 3DsMax and export / convert it into one of the input files that Unity can use...Simple. If file extantions are still not compatibile, then use script method I've just told You about :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah but I don't think any of A-Tool extension export with the animations in.

EDIT : Nevermind, .dae export animations, thanks guys.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@aVVe You are not exactly right in the case that there is no way to convert *ani files or any other proprietary Flyff format. There is a way and it's called AssetPostprocessor, not to be confused with Post Processing effects in Unity. Basically this is a script which watch out for any model import into editor *.o3d, *.ani or *.chr. The problem here is that all these files are in Binary format, you can view strings in it as plain text only if you reverse engineer them. So to be able to load any of them you need to know the way the information is stored in them so you can translate it so Unity can understand it the same as Flyff does. Then with the help of this magical script for example o3d files become mesh files which you can load into 3d object prefab template with Mesh Filter, Skinned Mesh Renderer, Animator, Avatar and any other Component you may need. When you load the template prefab you can make asset copy of it then clean it out again for next model to be imported. Textures are not a big deal for Unity as it already reads DDS files to begin with.

There is project online that have this kind of setup and just few days ago i've decided to use it. Unfortunately it has only Postprocessing for o3d and not ani and chr which hold the bone system and animation. Structure of them however is already written, it's lacking the way of creating suitable for Unity assets. *.chr need to become an Avatar and *.ani need to be converted into Unity's Animation Clip. There is even terrain loading methods and it can load Flyff LND files, original or custom made. It's just not that far as loading textures or anything else. Plain terrain!

There is 3ds Max script for exporting models with animation and bones to FBX format which Unity supports. I don't know what language the script is written in but i am able to navigate trough it to see what is what. It's just that i can't edit it as i don't know the language and frankly does not care. What i need out of it is to translate the methods it uses to C#. There is around 20 thousand models in Flyff and if you want them all by hand we can shake hands in few years when you are done with that endeavor. If you do let's say 55 models per day you are good to in a year. If you can and will to edit the script to load bulk of models into FBX you can say you need to pretty much leave only characters and monsters aside because only they have bone systems and animations pretty much but it's still more or less 7,000 models times the animations you need to do for each of them as Animation Clips. Tried that with an AiBatt and got to nowhere as i struggled exporting animations one by one saving them in some max format and then assigning them to the same model in a sequence with empty frames in between.

So far i got to making dummy Avatar assets, it's hard to translate the 3ds Max script to the way Postprocessing templates are written. I am not some ninja coder myself and never done anything like that so far and i am learning on the go. Not sure why the original project was abandoned in the first place as there is just so much work left to make it viable for what OP needs and what i actually want to achieve out of it. I am not interested into making Unity 1:1 Flyff clone as this will consume so much time that with the help of the asset store i am gonna be up to speed in no time with Gui and networking. In the process i have plans to make my own models and textures and use what Flyff has as dummy assets.

There are at least 2 Unity projects alive ATM, one for Android version that's almost done. I don't remember it's name. The other is Kinami's work which is very impressive. Search what he did in Youtube. He is almost done with all of it. As he states final 10% to do! The problem is that they aren't open to the public and Kinami's already was asked to publish it but he refused.

Back