Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

uFlyff - Flyff in Unity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on porting Flyff to the Unity engine. My goal is to recreate Flyff as best as possible in Unity in order to create a strong foundation for community members interested in the development to contribute or fork the project and do their own thing.

The project is still in it's infancy, and only basic file I/O has been implemented. I plan to use as many of Flyff's files as I can directly without converting them to new formats. This means writing asset processors to read Flyff's proprietary files such as .o3d, .chr and .ani. No gameplay features will be added until the Flyff's models and animations are being successfully ported to Unity's systems.

For the future: I am also looking for a network programmer to help the implementation and design of the networked components of the game using Unity's built in networking API. It's not a difficult framework to use, but any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Early morning update -

I worked a little bit yesterday to figure out the .chr format so I could import skeletons and then later add in some animations. It was pretty simple, however, Unity has their own way of storing bone structures called an Avatar - and there's two types.

The first type is the "Generic Avatar" which you can give any type of bone structure and expect it to work. This is good for Flyff's vast amount of monsters and NPC's. Importing them is simple, just give the AvatarBuilder a root bone for the skeleton structure and it does the rest. You can apply your own imported animation clips as long as they link up to the names of the bones.

The second type is the " ," which is Unity's way of generalizing all human-like figures into one skeleton. My theory is that if both the male and female skeletons can be ported over to this humanoid avatar, that would give the ability to import animations from other sources like . Later on, if someone wanted to replace all of the old animations with newer, more dynamic ones, it would be more than simple.

I haven't quite figured out how to get Flyff's bone structure into a Humanoid Avatar yet, but that's my next step. After that I can tackle .ani formats and try and get some monsters moving.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is a great project, Actually I'm planning on porting/recreating flyff using unreal engine after my current game project is done

the difference is that I'm planning on remaking some of the animations/models of the game and i already created some core mechanics like questing, inventory, skill system and Combat system.....basically im making a ripoff hahahaha

it would be great if u release your Source code of parser for the file formats. i can also use unity3d so yea i can contribute to your project if your going to open it to the public

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is a great project, Actually I'm planning on porting/recreating flyff using unreal engine after my current game project is done

the difference is that I'm planning on remaking some of the animations/models of the game and i already created some core mechanics like questing, inventory, skill system and Combat system.....basically im making a ripoff hahahaha

it would be great if u release your Source code of parser for the file formats. i can also use unity3d so yea i can contribute to your project if your going to open it to the public

Thank you. I was thinking about using Unreal because DirectX is used by default, whereas in Unity it's all OpenGL. This usually doesn't make a difference on the user's end, but when you import assets from Flyff into Unity all of the matrices need to have their rows and columns swapped. Not a big deal, but it's just something I ran into recently.

The main reason I picked Unity was because of it's usability for beginner programmers. I want to help coax new programmers and developers with an easy to use platform so they can learn and contribute to the project. I could be wrong, but if Flyff is ported to a newer engine, whether it ultimately is Unreal or Unity, it might spark a little interest in outside communities, which would lead towards a small revival of the development section. It sounds a bit hopeful, but who knows, right?

If you want to get a head start you can check out @Aishiro 's . Shoutout to him, because between Flyff's source and the documented file formats on here I would have never gotten the .o3d parser to work. I've mainly based all of my file I/O off of his work.

Update: showing it's bone structure fully imported. Gotta get some animations in and we'll be in business.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just opened up a . I'll be committing and making changes as I flesh out the game. Currently it's pretty empty, with only a few asset processor scripts (that aren't even fully wired as of this posting.) If you are interested in supporting the project, please feel free to fork, propose changes, submit issues, ect.

@errorlog2 If you'd like to see the file I/O done for the three main formats, check out the scripts . If you're interested in reading about how some of it will work in the future, check .

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello guys!

Here's a of some fully imported .o3ds and their respective textures mapped properly! Turns out the issue was the fact that DirectX and OpenGL UV coordinates are slightly different. If you'd like to read about it, helped me figure out the issue.

Now I'm on to figuring out these animation files. I know nothing about rigs and animations, but no time like the present, right?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just opened up a . I'll be committing and making changes as I flesh out the game. Currently it's pretty empty, with only a few asset processor scripts (that aren't even fully wired as of this posting.) If you are interested in supporting the project, please feel free to fork, propose changes, submit issues, ect.

@errorlog2 If you'd like to see the file I/O done for the three main formats, check out the scripts . If you're interested in reading about how some of it will work in the future, check .

Wow thank you for this :D ill try to contribute if i have something that is worthy to be contributed, ill follow your project and try it out if i have time

Your documentations really helps alot hahahah im now thinking of trying this out than doing my unreal version after i finish my current project :D

Again Good Job and Goodluck with this :D will be following you on your progress

ow btw in the server side this can be easily be ported into unity
http://forum.ragezone.com/f484/hellion-emulator-1120838/

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of removing the base of flyff code from the source and creating server and client dlls for unity but it's a ton of work for something you could be sued for.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of removing the base of flyff code from the source and creating server and client dlls for unity but it's a ton of work for something you could be sued for.

yea its better to emulate how it works rather than getting it from the source, emulation isnt illigal so its good

ive been itching to try this out but my schedule is a bummer :(

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am planning to create flyff in unity3d also, and I found this thread! I will contribute to the repo. I got the same problem on viewing the models in the unity.

Reaction score
yea its better to emulate how it works rather than getting it from the source, emulation isnt illigal so its good

ive been itching to try this out but my schedule is a bummer :(

Emulation isn't illegal but copyright infringement is...

Does anyone know network programming? Flyff as a single player game in unity is as easy as drag and drop, I can get it online but you could hack it to pieces.

Oh and for the models just Youtube rigging models in blender for unity and you now have more animations than you know what to do with.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I could make network programming, but I have not tested on unity yet. I am using libGDX

Reaction score
You're thinking about it wrong, I'm sure you could code a way to get the default FlyFF animations but the best way is to use mecanim animations which unity has a ton of free animations and provides a way to make your own. If you wanted a private server you can get every asset you need for free since what you're doing is already illegal and have the most insane server ever with almost no coding experience.

I advise giving up on FlyFF as I did once I figured out how "basic" it is. I paid for a Unity subscription which till the end of this month comes with $300 of free assets at this point you can make whatever you want LEGALLY which means you can earn a profit.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You're thinking about it wrong, I'm sure you could code a way to get the default FlyFF animations but the best way is to use mecanim animations which unity has a ton of free animations and provides a way to make your own. If you wanted a private server you can get every asset you need for free since what you're doing is already illegal and have the most insane server ever with almost no coding experience.

I advise giving up on FlyFF as I did once I figured out how "basic" it is. I paid for a Unity subscription which till the end of this month comes with $300 of free assets at this point you can make whatever you want LEGALLY which means you can earn a profit.

i agree with you with creating your own game cuz flyff is literally basic to the bone but yea its still good if it can be ported to newer engine.
hell i would really want to recreate flyff since it shutdown in my country it has so many memories but schedules and stuff wont allow it

Reaction score
FlyFF was my first MMO and that guild feeling is something I want back, I have pretty much everything I need to start doing more than just planning I'm just lacking art, clothes, hair and a few web related things. I decided to use a cloud solution for hosting so networking isn't a huge problem anymore.

Edit: added an image showing a character fully animated with hair, it looks funny because the hair was casting a shadow on the body.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi guys. I wanted to emulate flyff legacy mobile. Using Unity3d engine
(BTW this is multiplayer server side coded)

I succeed to get the 3d models of flyff legacy even monster like bang ,aibat, etc. All icons above is working. Inventory, Guild, Quest etc.

Now i need an animator for character and map designer the one who know can optimize 3d object in mobile. I just only use Acrobat 3d model bec. im not yet done finding other 3d character model.

For those who want to be my animator ,i only offer to you is to be a gm of the game.

You can message me here.

Some image
DrEinsteinium - uFlyff - Flyff in Unity - RaGEZONE Forums

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi guys. I wanted to emulate flyff legacy mobile. Using Unity3d engine
(BTW this is multiplayer server side coded)

I succeed to get the 3d models of flyff legacy even monster like bang ,aibat, etc. All icons above is working. Inventory, Guild, Quest etc.

Now i need an animator for character and map designer the one who know can optimize 3d object in mobile. I just only use Acrobat 3d model bec. im not yet done finding other 3d character model.

For those who want to be my animator ,i only offer to you is to be a gm of the game.

You can message me here.

Some image

if you need to implement all from scratch like Animating the npc and all of the other bits... why not create your own original IP?
i can tell that you already finish with the core system of the game.

i can help you animate, can you send me a model so i can work on it and ill send it to you back so you can judge wether its good or bad. mostly i work on PC games and i can optimize 3d models to some extent.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if you need to implement all from scratch like Animating the npc and all of the other bits... why not create your own original IP?
i can tell that you already finish with the core system of the game.

i can help you animate, can you send me a model so i can work on it and ill send it to you back so you can judge wether its good or bad. mostly i work on PC games and i can optimize 3d models to some extent.

I message you i wish we can work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back