Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GunZ Remake - Need help with frame data

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello, we are a group of people in our final year of our university masters course in Game Design and for our final project we've decided to remake GunZ within the Ue4 engine. (Full thread can be found if people are interested in our development)

We're currently in the process of recreating the animations of the original game and since the game has a very heavy focus on animation canceling etc we would like to make them as similar in length (frame wise) to the original as we possibly can. Basically we're looking for the frame data, we got a hold of the MCV (Maiet Character Viewer) but we cant find the models nor the animations files (.elu and .ani files if I understood it correctly). If anyone could point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, we would really like to get a hold of the files but any form of documenting regarding the animations (Or other parts of the game for future purposes) could be potentially useful to have.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think it's great that they want to revive Gunz the Duel, at least update it graphically leaving the essence of what was the game, I only see a small problem to this project that they want to develop. One of them is that Unreal Engine 4 even though it is free is not an open source for everyone like Graphic Engine if you do not pay the license. If you really want to develop the project without problems I recommend using the Godot Engine 3.0 Alpha, it is Free and it is Open Source.

Reaction score
You need male/female folders > decrypt those for all the character animations and data.

Edit:
I do think it would be better to start off with a cube map to test all our animations and abilities before actually remaking the Mansion map.
Also, the remake you did so far is of the same quality, but instead you could make those wine barrels look nice and clean instead of being a 10-12 poly cylinder?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What do you mean with "male/female folders > decrypt those for all the character animations and data."? Where can we find these folders/files?

And on your second part yes we could make the stage better looking but right now its only there as a placeholder for functional purposes, and replacing a placeholder with a better looking placeholder is just a waste of time at this point as the only gain would be slightly nicer looking barrels.

Ninja Goblin
Loyal Member
Reaction score
we cant find the models nor the animations files (.elu and .ani files if I understood it correctly).

Literally download any private server files from any of the "how to make a server" tutorials, locate the man/woman.mrs in the client, unpack it using any vanilla mrs unpacker and there you have the files.
Or if thats too much work for you

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you very much, helped us out a ton :)

Reaction score
Thank you very much, helped us out a ton :)

Sorry forgot to upload a folder for you guys, gj HS.

Also better to stick with a cube map (just walls and a floor) instead of working on that Mansion map.
I feel like if you put your focus on animations, interactions and everything instead of the map, you make a better progress.
Now if everything works, you can work on a map to make it all pretty n poop ;).
I do wonder if you are going to use different textures or the same for nostalgia sake (old textures can be provided for you peepz).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ah I see the confusion, so the mansion map placeholder is already done so we're currently not "wasting" our time working on the map and making it look good before the actual game is in a playable state, if that's what you're concerned about. We still do test some stuff on cube maps when we want an isolated environment.

Also we will have updated models and textures for two reasons, the first one being that updating the graphics is a big appeal when marketing the game and trying to bring in more people to the GunZ community (and oldschool GunZ fans would probably also like seeing the game updated with current age graphics). And the second one is that it might get us in trouble for legal reasons if we were to use straight rips from the original game. However we do want to try and keep the original games style when designing the looks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah I see the confusion, so the mansion map placeholder is already done so we're currently not "wasting" our time working on the map and making it look good before the actual game is in a playable state, if that's what you're concerned about. We still do test some stuff on cube maps when we want an isolated environment.

Also we will have updated models and textures for two reasons, the first one being that updating the graphics is a big appeal when marketing the game and trying to bring in more people to the GunZ community (and oldschool GunZ fans would probably also like seeing the game updated with current age graphics). And the second one is that it might get us in trouble for legal reasons if we were to use straight rips from the original game. However we do want to try and keep the original games style when designing the looks.

Good good, smart people :).

Pretty sure a lot of their map textures aren't made by them, cannot tell for sure though.

And my last thing would be.. what about a license n all the legal crap concerning this project and being a remake of an original game, I know MAIET is down but MASANG has all the legal right at this moment, dont you need some sort of paperwork before you would have your remake running and what not? (just thinking ahead).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So as far as we know copyrights only covers certain things, for example we wouldn't be able to name the game "GunZ: The third duel" or something like that. However you can't copy game mechanics and there is tons of games which are similar to each other and use almost the exact same mechanics (Look at most fighting games for example, there isn't all that much difference between the core gameplay of Tekken, Street fighter, Mortal Combat and so on)

And the technical term for the remake would be a "spiritual successor" meaning there isn't any direct relation between the games other then being inspired by each other (Similar to how Overwatch is a spiritual successor to Team Fortress 2). It's true we're trying to mimic the mechanics to capture the essence of the game, but in the end we're trying to create our own game and expand on it further beyond what the original GunZ was capable of.

Blade & Soul Eldoria Developer
[VIP] Member
Reaction score
@D3xus
friend if you make a game like gunz here is tip for you no matter what you using 2 Rules:

Coder do whatever they want without even ask it's up to him and his team what they prefer to do,
Players can response about the game after experience it. early talking not worth and cannot hurt the project creator.

Don't let anybody effect you in negative way.

do what you think.

Good Luck .

I'm retired, I'm already
Banned
Reaction score
Hello, we are a group of people in our final year of our university masters course in Game Design and for our final project we've decided to remake GunZ within the Ue4 engine. (Full thread can be found if people are interested in our development)

We're currently in the process of recreating the animations of the original game and since the game has a very heavy focus on animation canceling etc we would like to make them as similar in length (frame wise) to the original as we possibly can. Basically we're looking for the frame data, we got a hold of the MCV (Maiet Character Viewer) but we cant find the models nor the animations files (.elu and .ani files if I understood it correctly). If anyone could point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, we would really like to get a hold of the files but any form of documenting regarding the animations (Or other parts of the game for future purposes) could be potentially useful to have.

If you want to remake GunZ I suggest you do it with the same source of the game, just try to change the graphic engine of realspace 2.0 for a new one and you will see that many will play it, but if it does gunz from scratch it will be a failure just like Gunz2 since many will stop playing because you can not do much k-style.

remember that the essence of the game are the skills of k-style, that gives life.

If you need or some kind of advice you write me.

I've been playing this game for over 12 years.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I will just throw some information out here from when I was working on my clone.

Calling it "GunZ: The Third Duel" would actually be a legal name you can use.
The Game Mechanics are in no way protected.
You can actually re-use up to 49% of the original leaked source code, but no more than 20% can be an exact copy, the rest needs to have slight alterations.
You can not re-use map layouts, models, images, (or meshes).
The interface is not protected, apart from images.
Clones of models must have several slight differences that make up 51% of the model, such as sizing ( can not copy proportions) and vector counts, it can however look the same.
Maps follow the same guidelines as cloned models, with the addition of a somewhat major change follow by slight changes to each portion of the map, such as replacing the stairway in mansion then removing a bookshelf in the library, changing lighting, etc... the map can resemble up to 70% of the original map.
Edit: Making flat objects / meshes on walls into actual items, does count as slight alterations.
Hi, I'm not saying you're wrong/lying or anything but could you source this info? As we've stated both here and on reddit we don't have all the knowledge about copyright yet and if you have some solid info we could go after that would be great but we would need an official source that could be pointed to.

If you want to remake GunZ I suggest you do it with the same source of the game, just try to change the graphic engine of realspace 2.0 for a new one and you will see that many will play it, but if it does gunz from scratch it will be a failure just like Gunz2 since many will stop playing because you can not do much k-style.

remember that the essence of the game are the skills of k-style, that gives life.

If you need or some kind of advice you write me.

I've been playing this game for over 12 years.
We've gotten suggestions from several different fans to use different engines or software for various reasons however we will stay with Unreal Engine 4 (Mostly because almost all our programming experience is this engine and our university "only" gives us roughly a 1 year deadline) and build our game up from scratch.

We strongly believe that we can recreate k-style within Ue4 and we will work closely with the community and use the experience and feedback of the veterans to mimic the original as much as possible. If you're interested in being part of our early alphas and have your feedback heard as much as possible I would recommend joining our .

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I made a separate post where I linked to an early build of the game, but I'll link it here to if in case people here are interested but haven't seen it.

Back