Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Removing '^' for character creation

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well as some of you already know, Rotana created a way where you can only allow a certain set of characters when creating a new character (restricting alt codes basically).

Please refer to this if you do not already know: http://forum.ragezone.com/f497/tutorial-restrict-alt-codes-from-character-names-500260/

Some of you also know that it allows a wide range of characters including the character '^' (which allows color usage).
Yes, you're by default not able to use it originally, but there are many dlls out there that can bypass that and create colored name characters.
Rotana only provided the range of 48 through 122. A LOT of people have been asking 'how do i also restrict '^' from characters as well as only allowing 48-122?'

Well it's a simple and minor edit and i'm just showing the not-so-advanced people how to modify it to exclude a certain character.

In the fnCheckString part, instead of doing this:

Code:
     IF ASCII(SUBSTRING(@P_String, @V_Position, 1))

BETWEEN 48 AND 122

Replace it with this:

Code:
 IF (ASCII(SUBSTRING(@P_String, @V_Position, 1)) >= 48 AND ASCII(SUBSTRING(@P_String, @V_Position, 1)) <= 122 AND ASCII(SUBSTRING(@P_String, @V_Position, 1)) != 94)

That's all. I myself had trouble with this a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago but i tried again and it was simple.
Credits to rotana for the original restriction function

DRGunZ 2 Creator
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I thought you could do this by abuse.txt but it would probably need a wildcard or something.
in abuse.txt there is a number then a word that is restricted.
The 1 means chatting restriction words and the 2 means name restriction words. I never tried it but couldn't you put the ^ in there like 2,^ ? well it would probably need a wildcard but I'm not sure.

Great tutorial anyway.

Reaction score
I thought you could do this by abuse.txt but it would probably need a wildcard or something.
The 1 means chatting restriction words and the 2 means name restriction words. I never tried it but couldn't you put the ^ in there like 2,^ ? well it would probably need a wildcard but I'm not sure.

Great tutorial anyway.

The tutorial way is better, since if they open your system.mrs and just empty it it's bypassed.

DRGunZ 2 Creator
Loyal Member
Reaction score
but system.mrs is client sided so it shouldn't show up in the server as actually saying it right? Like the others would see it as ****? If true then it wouldn't matter, like MRS editing its all client sided.

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Great tutorial anyway.

Putting ^ and so on blocks it completely, obviously. So, if you were to do ^1-^0 to block them, you can't even use the #'s. Therefore it wouldn't work.

Anyways GJ on this tut Tim. Alot of people needed this (or used to at least)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
This.

Koreans has always been Tim.

I've been owner a long time on Trinity. Beleive me, I know Joey well enough. I'm not gonna get into the details, you can beleive all you want.

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've been owner a long time on Trinity. Beleive me, I know Joey well enough. I'm not gonna get into the details, you can beleive all you want.

Im not saying you don't know him. But there not using the same files as old TG.

Im just saying, and besides, Tim made this tut, I was just saying good job.

DRGunZ 2 Creator
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Putting ^ and so on blocks it completely, obviously. So, if you were to do ^1-^0 to block them, you can't even use the #'s. Therefore it wouldn't work.

Anyways GJ on this tut Tim. Alot of people needed this (or used to at least)
that'swhy you put it after 2. the 1 in abuse.txt means text/chat blocked words and the 2 means the name blocked words. So it might work if you put it in 2. then it wouldn't mess up your chat cause you can say god in chat while you can't have it as a name.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Why go through all that when you can just edit the create char proc in the db o_O?

It's something I personally prefer, because you can do more with it. For example log the one that is creating a character with ^ (and therefore has edited his system.mrs). It depends on your wishes.

Point of that post was to refer people to the function in the MatchServer.

Guy

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
It's something I personally prefer, because you can do more with it. For example log the one that is creating a character with ^ (and therefore has edited his system.mrs). It depends on your wishes.

Point of that post was to refer people to the function in the MatchServer.

You can log anyone attempting to use the symbol ^ as well via a procedure; you could create an entire new column or table for cheaters attempting to do this, actually.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can log anyone attempting to use the symbol ^ as well via a procedure; you could create an entire new column or table for cheaters attempting to do this, actually.

I know that, and I thought about posting that in the same post. However, it requires more work than doing a simple fputs to a .txt file. As I stated before, it's just what you want.

Guy

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I know that, and I thought about posting that in the same post. However, it requires more work than doing a simple fputs to a .txt file. As I stated before, it's just what you want.

No, it's the exact same amount of work - to modify what Phail posted:

Code:
IF (@Param LIKE '%^%')
BEGIN
INSERT INTO BadUsers VALUES (@ParamName)
END

Back