Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Development] Convert Ep12 Windows/MSSQL to Linux/Win Console and MySQL

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Concerning: [Release] IGCN - MuEmu Server Season 12 ep 2 + Sources

Would anyone be interested in creating a github with the source from here and try to convert it into a Linux/MySQL Server? Its very possible and I am a decent programmer I just need help with the tedious jobs, such as converting the Stored Procedures over.

edit:
Actually we could make it a console application that supports both Windows/Linux and MySQL.

The Main reason I want to do this is to keep costs down in NOT using licensed software. The original developers could benefit too as they will be able to use the source for there more recent versions and still maintain there piece of cake.

What do you think?

THE TODO LIST

DATABASE SIDE:
MySQL - Create Table Structures - done.
MySQL - Add Stored Procedures by modifying MSSQL ones. - working on (a few done lol)
Code - Integrate MySQL Support to DataServer with existing code from WoW Mangos. -
Code - Adjust Query Calls from MSSQL to MySQL. -
Code - Adjust Stored Procedure Calls from MSSQL to MySQL. -

WINDOWS TO LINUX/WIN CONSOLE APP:
Code - DS/CS/GS - Port MFC Windows Application to a OS Independent Console Application. -
Code - DS/CS/GS - Create commands to Reload Server Settings. -

If we do it for ep12 we will be able to port it for older IGCN Episodes as well so let's all work together!

refs:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f197/release-igcn-muemu-server-season-1146663/

Reaction score
Good idea, unfortunately I can’t help.

I don’t wanna start a database war, but just one question: Why MySQL these days? PostgreSQL is way more reliable with less quirks.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

MySQL was chosen because I am most familiar with it. Once this is completed it would be easily be able to be ported over to PostgreSQL I believe.

Here is the Repository, If anyone wants to contribute you can either send your gists in diff format via the issues section, or create a Pull Request to add more.

Note - I have created the full DB Structures. We are currently working on changing all the Stored Procedures over. Don't bother migrating the SP's that have only one DELETE/INSERT/SELECT. We can do that in C++ with query statements.

See:

Stored Procedures Migration over halfway done.

MySQL Support and OS Independent code, over 1600 compile errors so far. :lol: If anyone wants to help let me know and I might upload this section of code to my github. If no-one helps I wont release it as Public Source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If no-one helps I wont release it as Public Source.

Good luck with these kind of "threats" taking into account the current state of the Mu Dev community. :thumbdown:

You either release something as open source, or you just brag about it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Good luck with these kind of "threats" taking into account the current state of the Mu Dev community. :thumbdown:

You either release something as open source, or you just brag about it.
lol it's no threat, it's just a fact lolz. If I'm the only one developing it there is no need to share it. Or I might just release binary versions depending on how kind I feel lol.
Anyways it's a long way off from becoming compilable.
duck the leechers and script kiddies theres no such thing as a free lunch. I didnt spend most of my waking life to be some bottom feeders witch. :laugh:

Reaction score
Well, I understand what you mean, but with this attitude nobody would ever share something with the community.
It's hard to get contributors for such projects - there are not many developers left. Those who are left are probably trying to bring their own projects forward.
Then, probably not many are interested in these changes - lets be real, most people here don't give a **** about licenses and just pirate windows, mssql server etc.
Last but not least, I doubt most of the "leechers" are even able to adapt your changes to "their" server sources :rolleyes:

In the end, it's your decision, of course :):

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Don't forget Performance. Linux/MySQL will outperform MS Win/MS SQL any time of day. :thumbup1:

I been changing the Store Procedures and 3 Hits to the MSSQL DB can be replaced with 1 REPLACE statement in MySQL. ^_^

There will be several optimizations, that's just one example.

I also looked into postgreSQL and we will most likely have support for that as well (It's pretty easy to port).

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
duck the leechers and script kiddies theres no such thing as a free lunch. I didnt spend most of my waking life to be some bottom feeders witch.

Really?
You're the definition of a 'leecher' since you just took the files of everyone that released the sources on this forum and made them your own.
You're also one of those 'script kiddies' that you're referring to.
From what I see in your git project, you're just 'guessing' on how to compile and make things work just by copy/paste-ing.
There's no problem in 'guessing' and copy/paste-ing when you're learning something, but the way you write makes you conceited and shortsighted; arrogant.

Talked like a real pro here:
Anyways it's a long way off from becoming compilable.

Do you know why you're able to 'taste' the 'free lunch' at the moment? Only because a lot of guys that wanted to share and create something nice didn't think like you.
You should thank a lot of people for releasing stuff for MuOnline. And not only them. Do I need to remind you that you also leeched source files from MaNGOS's WoW engine?

Why in the world would you directly modify their license from this:
# Copyright (C) 2005-2017 MaNGOS project <https://getmangos.eu>

to this?
# Copyright (C) 2005-2019 MuMySQLServer project <https://getmangos.eu>

You should've appended that you MODIFIED their source, not that you created and updated it since 2005!

If I'm the only one developing it there is no need to share it. Or I might just release binary versions depending on how kind I feel lol.
Since the beginning, a lot of people wanted to develop stuff for MuOnline (and not only Mu) but every time they wanted to do that they hit a wall created by arrogant people that thought of them as the pineapple of developing; even though they were only copy/paste-ing until the thing compiled and ran --without any care about memory leaks, performance, code readability, patterns--.

This is one of the reason the main source code for Mu that's floating freely on the web is crap and unreadable.
This is also the reason why those files are using C stuff --incorrectly used and very error prone, by the way-- instead of adapting it to modern specs (who would adapt it since everyone that's developing it doesn't know a thing about programming?).

This is also the reason why it's still dependant on WinAPI instead of it being portable.

This is also the reason why we have structs with thousands of members (WTF?!).
This is also the reason why we have thousands of global variables.

Etc...

Every one that knew a thing about programming and wanted to contribute to MuOnline couldn't do that because they didn't have a shared codebase. They didn't have a place to push and track their patches to. And no one likes reinventing the wheel. So, those developers stopped being kids. They grew and moved on. Now they're better programmers than a lot of kids on this forum, but guess what: they don't have the time to play with arrogant kids anymore.

If nevS would've started posting on this forum years ago things would've been different now.
His shared projects are gold for the community. I can't comment on the quality of his code or his progress since I don't have the time to read it or contribute to it (and this is a shame since I could've helped a lot --and not only me. there are also tens or hundreds of people that left this forum because of 'life'--).
But the lot of leechers and scripters that are still here (or are just getting here) will never appreciate or understand it; they will just continue to use the leaked, aging and full of bugs files.

Rant over.

Whatever.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I made it public that I would be using Parts of the code from Mangos from the start it was no secret.
Yes I'm copy/pasting some parts. But the interaction with the DB and the socket will be re-written (Because they have to be made platform independent). Allot of Public Projects base there code off something like TrinityCore, which ripped off Mangos initially. The licensing has been preserved and not updated fully on all files I'm still resolving the compile errors.
After this project is done I may work on re-coding some sections of the Source Releases. But at this point my time is limited as I work on several projects as I am a busy 'Script Kiddie' as you put it. :lol:

DATABASE SIDE:
MySQL - Create Table Structures - done.
I have created the full DB Structures.
MySQL - Add Stored Procedures by modifying MSSQL ones. - in progress.
We are currently working on changing all the Stored Procedures over.
Don't bother migrating the SP's that have only one DELETE/INSERT/SELECT.
We can do that in C++ with query statements.
Code - Integrate MySQL Support to DataServer with existing code from WoW Mangos.
Code - Adjust Query Calls from MSSQL to MySQL.
Code - Adjust Stored Procedure Calls from MSSQL to MySQL.

WINDOWS TO LINUX/WIN CONSOLE APP:
Code - DS/CS/GS - Port MFC Windows Application to a OS Independent Console Application.
Code - DS/CS/GS - Create commands to Reload Server Settings.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I like the idea. But I've no skills with C++ and poor skill with SQL...
If you want some help, PM me.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I like the idea. But I've no skills with C++ and poor skill with SQL...
If you want some help, PM me.
Hi, Atm I really need C++ Devs. For now clone the project, and use CMAKE to build the project files in visual studio. Then take a look at the code and some of the errors it currently has (there is allot still).
Also look at the MySQL Queries that I have already converted over to get and idea what to do.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
so the whole idea is to run mu on webhost ?
Well it would open more options such as running a Server on a Virtual Private Server with a headless Linux Operating System (without the desktop interface).
However I might add that this project has already become so much more than that. I've noticed pointers aren't being used in memory and entire data structures copy across when they don't need to.
I will be optimizing the code so in addition to portability it should perform much faster overall.
I have already coded the Database Implementation Wrapped in its legacy function calls to so less code modification is needed. However the SQL Result sets will still have to be re-written from scratch. Overall I think this is a very exciting project (or maybe I'm just retarded haha). :thumbup:

Back