Research into HKO

MemberRank
    Jul 2020 Join Date
    Jan MayenLocation
    9Posts

Research into HKO

Research into HKO
    I've been looking into getting the HKO server working (any one of the three). Here is what I've found:

1) MySQL version doesn't matter. Even though it was designed for MySQL 4.0/4.1, you can use up to 5.7 with no issue (8.0 can work too, but it requires more effort and pain than just using 5.7)

2) I'm curious about the libmysql.dll. It seems like it is just one from a stock MySQL install. May try copying one over from a newer version later...

3) The dispatch portion of the config.xml file doesn't seem to actually change anything. Even with port-forwarding.

4) Connecting to a remote database, not localhost, seems to fail always (maybe due to the ancient libmysql.dll?)

5) 3306 seems to be a reserved port with the server somehow. It hangs when the game port is set to 3306, regardless if MySQL is running there or not.

6) Changing the game port to anything less than the MySQL database port does not change anything. Even if the game port is set to 5500 and you set the MySQL port to 5502, it fails to find the database. If both the game port and MySQL port are set to 5500, same issue as port 3306.

7) This happens on all 3 servers.

8) I have no idea how the NPC server is supposed to run, but it works(?)

9) The HKO server might have originally been meant to run on Windows Server 2000, not 2003... which would explain some of the issues. I'm more inclined to believe the issue is with the MySQL connection though

EDIT 11/22/20: Here is the reworked SQL file as the current one on the forum is broken: https://mega.nz/file/hhgWVYwS#Gg66q1...foA1HyALarAZak

Like always, any help or insight is appreciated!
    Last edited by zhongtiao1; 1 Day Ago at 01:10 AM.

MemberRank
    Jul 2008 Join Date
    16Posts

Re: Research into HKO

Hey I am totally down to try my hand at getting this running. I have gathered all of the files I can, and the only thing I seem to be missing is the complete DB script. Do you have it?

MemberRank
    Jul 2020 Join Date
    Jan MayenLocation
    9Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hummy View Post
    Hey I am totally down to try my hand at getting this running. I have gathered all of the files I can, and the only thing I seem to be missing is the complete DB script. Do you have it?
    Huh, my account was reinstated, cool. The entire file is written out here on the forum. Just pop it into notepad, save as hko.sql and you're good

ModeratorRank
    Sep 2012 Join Date
    USALocation
    604Posts

@zhongtiao1 Yeah, it got caught in a spam filter. I got it unbanned for you :) I was worried it was too late though, glad you came back.
    Happy Hacking!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."-Dr. Seuss

I don't want admiration. I want you to follow my example.
    The best way to bring moderator attention to a post is to use the report button (⚠️).

Like my releases or want to thank me? -> give me rep. (✶ at bottom left)
    For other displays of affection -> use the like button.
    Moderator of Trickster Online & f168
    RZ Dev

MemberRank
    Jul 2020 Join Date
    Jan MayenLocation
    9Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSamurai View Post
    @zhongtiao1 Yeah, it got caught in a spam filter. I got it unbanned for you :) I was worried it was too late though, glad you came back.
    Thanks :) The only reason I came back was because I saw an email that someone had replied :D Otherwise I would never have learned I was unbanned.

Also an update: I dug out an old 64 bit vista install I have, and the server software just hangs continuously. Better than just immediately crashing, so it's slight progress

MemberRank
    Jul 2008 Join Date
    16Posts

I think it will have to run on 32-bit. I am going to be trying it on 32-bit Windows Server 2003 this weekend. For me the sql post was cut off part way through, but I found a reddit post with the full file uploaded.

If everything goes well I hope to have it running by this weekend. If I do I will try to post an updated guide, and upload all necessary files in a single place.

MemberRank
    Jul 2020 Join Date
    Jan MayenLocation
    9Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hummy View Post
    I think it will have to run on 32-bit. I am going to be trying it on 32-bit Windows Server 2003 this weekend. For me the sql post was cut off part way through, but I found a reddit post with the full file uploaded.

If everything goes well I hope to have it running by this weekend. If I do I will try to post an updated guide, and upload all necessary files in a single place.
    Heh, so you're the lulu that commented on my reddit post. I had a feeling after the twitter dm. Glad it could help! Keep me updated, I'll look more into it myself, see what can be dug up. The database isn't the issue as far as I can tell.

ModeratorRank
    Sep 2012 Join Date
    USALocation
    604Posts

Considering that was a RZ Original release, our member cracked a internet server to obtain them, the lack of credit to RageZone in your reddit release is concerning. Anyways, it might be a good idea to make a re-release of the full sql file on RageZone, @zhongtiao1 .
    Happy Hacking!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."-Dr. Seuss

I don't want admiration. I want you to follow my example.
    The best way to bring moderator attention to a post is to use the report button (⚠️).

Like my releases or want to thank me? -> give me rep. (✶ at bottom left)
    For other displays of affection -> use the like button.
    Moderator of Trickster Online & f168
    RZ Dev

MemberRank
    Jul 2020 Join Date
    Jan MayenLocation
    9Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSamurai View Post
    Considering that was a RZ Original release, our member cracked a internet server to obtain them, the lack of credit to RageZone in your reddit release is concerning. Anyways, it might be a good idea to make a re-release of the full sql file on RageZone, @zhongtiao1 .
    Well, I was banned and I didn't know why. I had pretty much given up on RageZone and was kinda pissed, so I uploaded it on reddit to see if more people would be interested in helping.

Anywho, attached is the SQL file: https://mega.nz/file/hhgWVYwS#Gg66q1...foA1HyALarAZak

I can't upload the file here as ragezone doesn't like SQL files.

Also, added a credit at the end of the reddit post for you.

Advertisement