Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Editing Static Model Map file (.stm)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Maps are composed of a couple of files, .map (containing objects and light objects ), .hfl (heightfield files ). and .stm (static models, usually lands, mountaints, houses, rocks ).
I am able to edit map files however unable to move / edit / delete static models using map editor. Anyone able to edit .stm and using what tools?

I play it straight up, yo
Reaction score
Can't say I've seen such functionality within any of the tools, I'm thinking you'll have to build your own. I thought the static objects were represented as GXObjects within the editor so... perhaps the best way is to build that functionality into the tool by modifying that class.

If it helps any, I am working on an online map editor using WebGL and such to render it all out. I haven't gotten to parsing STM files just yet, but I can push them forward! :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah I was scanning the map editor as well and there was no option to select stm, only objects, light and tiles and such.
oh wow. that's really great. Do you mean you can move around the static objects? if so then it is possible to reverse the parsing into exporting am I right?

Reaction score
Yeah I was scanning the map editor as well and there was no option to select stm, only objects, light and tiles and such.
oh wow. that's really great. Do you mean you can move around the static objects? if so then it is possible to reverse the parsing into exporting am I right?

Absolutely! :D

...Well its planned but until I'm satisfied with the front end, the back end is on hold while I finish that portion of it. STM files are complicated because their essential raw models (.MOD files) and there's a ton of them! I've been "reverse engineering" (can you really call it that when you have the source code? xD) all the file formats for awhile now and they just need to be utilized with a parser and interface for easier modifications. I've tried making 3DS Max plugins for them but I'm just not great with their API.

I'll make a forum post with detailed documentation of all file formats specific to Luna Online. MapEditor and MOD2OBJ converter coming soon after that post. ;)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Oh wow you've made alot of progress when it comes to tinkering with the models. Model to object would really be good to be able to modify and recreate some objects from the game.

A bit off topic, but would you happen to think of any idea on how to increase fps of the renderer of plus? I'm currently modifying rendering of the objects and I think I've improved the quality a bit,
but I'm trying to improve two things:

1. frames per second
2.removing that stuttering effect when moving into places where there are other players or when a player pops into your screen.

I currently have no idea with the FPS and for the stuttering I believe it's with the rendering of new objects that weren't previously rendered. Do you have any idea or atleast a theory on how to improve those?

Reaction score
A bit off topic, but would you happen to think of any idea on how to increase fps of the renderer of plus?

Simple:
1. Extract all 3D data to an editable format like OBJ.
2. Recreate game in new engine using modern standards
3. Profit

Off-topic subjects are better for PM's, IRC, or skype if you have it. ;P

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What would the advantage of remaking engine that would support both DX9 and DX11 be? I think I'll be able to do so given a few months of time and effort into it. Cuz I'm thinking of only optimizing performance, would DX11 solve this?

Reaction score
Mainly compatibility with people using old school graphics cards that supported DX9.0c. DX11 provides many facilities for rendering that work much better than the games in-house solution. The engine itself is stunted because of hard coded limits and botched logic. A simple rewrite using DX9 as the base would be more than enough to run this game, DX11 is simply an advertising strategy as people know DX11 and not really DX9 (at least in this case).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't know how to edit STM in mapeditor. but you can convert it to OBJ, edit it in blender or 3dsmax and put it back into map.
however for convertion, you need:
- learn python. for creating your own noesis plugin.
- noesis
- hexeditor to search vertex position.
find STM file structure in source code. calculate its header size and find vertex and uv position.
notice: STM is a collection of object files, you may find 30+ object in 1 stm file.

after you can export stm to obj via noesis, import obj into 3dsmax/blender. edit it as you like. export to MOD file via 3dsmax8. import your MOD into mapeditor. give it light to create vcl(vertex color). finally, export as STM file.

Back