Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Kal-online MiniMaps

Reaction score
Hello,
This tutorial is based on the old engine mini maps system, if you will understand this tutorial, creating mini maps for new engine will be completely the same, the only difference is the name of the mini map file.
In this tutorial I will explain about the mini map system, and also I will show you how to create a mini map with objects.

Some background on the mini map system to help you understand better:

All minimaps are located at client/data/HyperText/MiniMap.
"Client/Data/HyperText/MiniMap" = Dungeon MiniMaps.
"Client/Data/HyperText/MiniMap/e" = World MiniMaps.

All world maps are located at "Client/Data/MAPS".

Each mini map picture is 256x256 pixel size,and each 1 "kcm" world map picture size should be 128x128 pixel size.

Now for our topic.
Let's go to "Client/Data/HyperText/MiniMap/e" and pick a .GTX file from the folder.

NOTE! Each single 1 "GTX" file of mini map contains 4 "KCM" maps.

So for example "minimap_n_e_100" file :

REMOVED

Contains 4 different KCM file maps that are located at Client/Data/MAPS.
So basicly 1 Minimap = 4 World maps.

You probably now asking yourself "how can I know which minimap contains the kcm I want?"
So this is another easy part,with this WORLDMAP image you can see exactly between each 4 maps a number.

REMOVED

If for example we want to edit "n_031_031.kcm" (Narootuh map in this case),
then we can see 087 is the minimap so it will be located at "Data/HyperText/MiniMap/e" file name- minimap_n_e_087.gtx

Now let's say you guys created your own world map and now you wish to create a nice minimap for it.
In this video I will show you how. (Please view the video in 1080p so you can understand exactly what I am doing)

NOTICE:
You could take the minimap from kwe and use that for size comparison if you wish it to be exact same size.

I know this is not 100% accurate it is because I been recording and wanted to explain the idea in general.
I am sure that you can create the water with photoshop better , and even pointing yourself in the middle of the map exactly.

Tools:

*Uploaded Genetix.
*ROAM / KWE you can find in this links above:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f315/roam-clean-913325/
http://forum.ragezone.com/f315/tweaked-kwe-extra-objs-added-975467/

Thank you for watching my tutorial.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list

ASN

Please STAHP!
Reaction score
Can't zoom out as you did in the game mode, maybe i need a differnt version of roam? It's like i got zoom locked under "game mode" in the roam i use. Also the zooming is limited in general cuz the dark water or whatever that is under will cover the entire map if i zoom too much, you don't seem to have this problem either mhm ;d

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was looking for a TuT like this for months. It's well explained and easy to understand.
I've explored a way, how to make and add new minimaps some days ago with KWE and gimp. Too bad that I can't get ROAM working on my PC cuz KWE doesn't show the OPL stuff on the minimap's when you export them. :s
@Kallyanna : A TuT like this was urgently needed -> Sticky !

greetings, Yah

Last edited:
Reactions: zig
Reaction score
Can't zoom out as you did in the game mode, maybe i need a differnt version of roam? It's like i got zoom locked under "game mode" in the roam i use. Also the zooming is limited in general cuz the dark water or whatever that is under will cover the entire map if i zoom too much, you don't seem to have this problem either mhm ;d

Yo, I am using the ROAM you've re uploaded, I just edited the texts with a tool, and in this particular video I am running "Kal_Test.exe".
If you have issue with this zooming out , I will upload you a ROAM.exe with edit I just did so you can check on the box the options you want.

Also, if sometime you will have map like this:
REMOVED

Type on the chat : /set postProcess
And then it should be like this:
REMOVED

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
due to popular demand.. STICKIED! awesome tut hun :) thank you very much for helping us all out with this ;)

ASN

Please STAHP!
Reaction score
I was just curious how did you zoom that while i couldn't :p That was the thing of the different roam/kal_test or luck cuz zooming works only sometimes for me, then i have to relaunch roam and try again. I already tried before to create minimaps this way but it failed cuz of fcked up zooming now i know it's possible to zoom out even more so thx :eek:tt1: Another good tip about the post process thingy, also had some problems with it but in my case it was about the dungeons ksm preview ^^

So yea so far the best way to make minimaps, at least until we get a tool that rendered this:
zig - [Tutorial] Kal-online MiniMaps - RaGEZONE Forums

Sadly i'm not the owner of it xD s0ul and few other guys got it.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
So yea so far the best way to make minimaps, at least until we get a tool that rendered this:
zig - [Tutorial] Kal-online MiniMaps - RaGEZONE Forums

Sadly i'm not the owner of it xD s0ul and few other guys got it.

Hell yeah, if you are able to load map by map or a pack of 4 maps that tool would save us a huge amout of time. :drool:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Is it possible to re-upload ROAM again ?

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Minimaps are working kinda differently on 2016 Engine. Maybe someone knows how,because i can't seem to figure it out.? It's with files such as "minimap_n_e_024_024",but when i open it,it's again constructed with 4 maps inside,but i cannot understand the order and how it's working. I tried doing a minimap for my own map,but the thing is it's not showing my right position on it.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
1st convert minimap tiles in to PNG/JPG
2nd write on each minimap tile unique number
3rd convert minimap tiles back to GTX and copy in to minimap folder
4th run clinet and port on your new map
5th when you are on your new map open minimap and check number of your minimap tile
6th now look fot that tile number in your minimap files and replace that tile with your new minimap for new area

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Adding to zig's tutorial the "new" minimaps are (like old minimaps) in a patch except that now it has a leading map.

REMOVED

in this case 32 28 is the leading map in the patch and the ones to its right, top and top-right maps are always included.

The minimap starts from 20 20 and is at the power of 2 so 22 20 or 20 22, 24 20 or 20 24 and so on as main patch.

P.s. u have to take into account the minimaps used, i don't know if u can overlap them.

Back