Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tut] How to make a Substitute D: Drive

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The first thing you'll want to do is make sure you don't have anything physical on that D: drive (like a CD drive or DVD drive: go to My Computer and look at your drives. Now if you already have a D: drive you're good to go (like two hard drives, if you're not sure just continue with the guide ). Here's a pic of what my My Computer looks like:
ihatehaxor - [Tut] How to make a Substitute D: Drive - RaGEZONE Forums

Now I, like all of you reading this assuming you have no D drive, don'y have one. Now here's how to move your other drives down to make room for your drive:

First, Go to Control Panel in your Start Menu

and then go to Administrative Tools

Next, you'll want to click on Computer Management

Then in Computer Management, you'll want to click on Disk Managment (If you don't see it, click on Storage to make it drop down below it, or in it's vicinity.)

You'll notice I have a CRAPTASTIC ammount of Hard Drive, as well as space, but you don't see me not having a server, eh? Okay besides that, you'll want to change the letters of both CD drive and DVD drive (unless you only have one). Right click on the CD/DVD drive and click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Now in here you'll see three buttons; Add, Change, and Remove. Before I changed my CD and DVD drive letters it came up with some warning. I haven't had any problems, so if you do I don't know what you did.

go ahead and change your letters to anything, except D (of course :p). Now you need to make that D drive

the concept of the D drive really pissed me off at first since I didn't know what it meant. Well here's how to make it:

load up command prompt (or Ms-Dos prompt) through whatever method you want (I prefer going to run..and typing in cmd as an easy shortcut. ) okay you load it up and you'll see this:

now if you type subst /? and you're new to this, you'll see a bunch of crap. At least that's what I thought it was. When you're done with the guide maybe you'll understand what that means. EX lets say you want to make a server (lol :p) like Shaiya and you put the severfiles in C: and no other folder/drive. So in cmd you'd type subst D: C:\shaiyaserver (or whatever you named your server files)

Once you type subst D: C:\shaiyaserver you should get this

it should appear nothing happened but when you recheck your My Computer....YOU MADE A D: DRIVE!

Congrats ^^
Info : Everyone know when you log-off or turn your computer off, you'll lose you D; drive, but nothing in it, you wont lose your server folder, just the drive. Use this .bat file that loads if up everytime you log back on!

thanks guys and I hope this guide is useful to everyone.

[edit] Make sure you save the txt file to a .bat file.

Put it in C: Documents and Settings, your name, Program files, and startup. :p

credits to Lowfyr.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
OMG stop copy paste thing for anothere forums u don't make that just say wit big letters hwo made it please ;)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thanks for the guide but i want to ask u said

Put it in C: Documents and Settings, your name, Program files, and startup. :p

i am using vista this path work with me ?
ok i found the path to the startup on vista

but i think i should change the muserver in this .txt to shaiya server or what ?

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Nice guide :):thumbup:

Is it possible to direct to G: C:/SHAIYA_SERVER ? If possible, Im just worried about changing paths >_<:/:

Reaction score
hum...ive changed the paths before and it dosent mess anything up..you dont really need to create a vitrual D:\ drive just mod restore_db.bat to you drive letter

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
is this needed? for creating shaiya server? what if i have a D drive already? isnt need a Vistual D drive?

Back