Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide]Item Model Making (Custom Items)

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Item Modeling
Credits: Robinette (rPT 3D Team)

I would love to see some creations people come up with to so, feel free to post yours.
(Anyone feel free to to pm me to add on the the guide with anything you've learned)

I thought I might as well include some links to the trial software to:

Software Needed:

Optional Software (For skinning)
(Or CS3)

Both of these are quite expensive software so you wont get the full versions for "Free"
Although theres always.....

Click below to download the guide to view on your computer at any time.

Guide Start

The way 3D Studio Max saves, it can add in a .bmp texture already on the model, through use of the materials tool.

Use a simple cylinder like shown:
SiK - [Guide]Item Model Making (Custom Items) - RaGEZONE Forums

0.75 radius is perfect size for a handle

Now open up the materials tool, by clicking M:

Clicking the little grey square next to diffuse under the basic parameters, will bring up the maps/materials browser:

Choose bitmap at the top of the list. Now it will ask for you to find a .bmp This will be your texture. I picked a random bmp from the /dropitem folder. When your finished creating your .bmp and texture, drag and drop your texture to your model: (first, check to make sure you click "show map in viewport", this looks like a cube with blue/white checkers on it. Clicking this will show your texture. If you dont click it, the texture is still there, just not visable)

Now we have a simple cylinder with a texture:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Holding the item:

This part is a bit more advanced, and can take multiple trial and error attempts to get the item positioning just right on the character. This is very simple when using swords/axes, but may take a few attempts when skinning a bow/jav etc.

Start by click "Hiearchy", next to modify tool(marked by a red circle):

Now, under "Adjust Pivot" Dropdown, click "Affect Pivot Only". Doing so should now show the X Y Z axis around the model. The center point of these is where the item will be held, depending on character position and weapon type. Since we are using a cylinder, and going to replace a sword texture, the grip position is dead center. But since we are trying to hold like a sword, we need to adjust it some.

Your item should look like this, with the 3 axis centered at the grid and bottom of item:

Click the Z (blue) axis and drag it up slightly. Imagine the is where the character's hand is. Now it should look like this:

Time to save and export! Save as "swordtest" into your 3dmax 'Scenes' Folder (default path). Now click file, and export as an .ASE

Use following export options:
Use the following export options:

When exporting, be sure to overwrite an existing model. I used itws204 (short sword). VERY IMPORTANT: After exporting your *.ase to /dropitem, go into your dropitem folder and remove the *.smd file your trying to replace. If you do not remove it, you will get a blank model. Run the game and see your work!

Last edited:

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Setting Item Stats

I know this is basic knowledge to most, but some people don't know so may as well include it.

1.) Copy the item .inf for a type of equipment you would like to make.
Then refer to this translated item .inf:

Code:
//        Item Stats        //

*Japanese Name        "

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Anyone with knowledge of in fact hexing in new item IDs, feel free to clue us in.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
this is my tutorial.

please give me proper credit for it.

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It would like to know if it has as to create new itens, making the server to load new itens.

thx!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Post removed by Happy

Do not link to any kind of warez sites, or illegal download sites. I understand that not all torrents are illegal, but in this case they are. Just plain do not link to these sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
All is well...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Gettin' the program now ^_^
Awesome guide SiK =p

I'll be makin' some new stuff for sure hehe

Btw: you should get ffox, update your comp & java, check with people on msn, and get the imageshack addon for ffox lol

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, I myself haven't used IE for yeaaaaaaaars. FireFox / Opera only, and I use Photobucket for my image uploads. My comp is fully updated, none of those pics are mine lol.

All is well...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, I myself haven't used IE for yeaaaaaaaars. FireFox / Opera only, and I use Photobucket for my image uploads. My comp is fully updated, none of those pics are mine lol.

Oh okay lol, just decided to make an off-the-wall comment (I like that phrase, off-the-wall). Anywho yah... idk what I'm gonna do now so I guess I can start planning out some big project that I'll probably never even do lol
Maybe a new network? idk, I'm bored and suppose I can make a few models to throw out there to the public lol. reg script otw, you can have it, just might risk injections maybe? idk, I'm don't know everything about injections it could be 100% good could be super easy to hack idk lol

I guess I can release the models, script, and some other crap, at the same time.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i think i know how to make the server.exe and cleint.exe load the item but ill have to make shure
when you edit the server.exe i have found it but its in japanese or something

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
hey i did it but i just came as the same sword
the short sord
Can you help me with that???

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Thank you SIK AND ROBINETTE YOU ARE THE MAN WORK PERFECTLY FOR MEE TY

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Guess problems work themselves out huh lol.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
lol i put it into the wrong dropfolder lol
but how do you make swords
like the shape and stuff

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i have a way of putting new items in the server
ill upload the pictures sometime in a day or so and ill check if it works
ok

SiK

Custom Title Activated