Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide]Item Model Making (Custom Items)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Newer versions of the game.exe do not have the .ase to .smb / .smd caching routine, they require the binary form, not the ascii .ase.

You need to convert the .ase to it's binary cache form first, and then use it in a modern client... possibly the best way to do this is from the server, which has not changed, and which should see custom items before they are given to the client anyway, AFAIK.

But I have no 3D skill, so I have never done this. I can only read the code, and see how it should work. It's possible the server is only interested in maps, npcs and player meshes.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If the functions are still there, then why doesn't it allow me to use custom-made items?

and as for your thoughts, bobsobol, do you have any clue on how that is done or anything?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I get that idea from the fact that if I tell 24xx or late 19xx clients to load a .ase file, they refuse. If I do the same thing with a 17xx or early 18xx client, they read it and make an SMD / SMB cache file so that I can then delete the .ase...

or at least they would if every .ase I made wasn't completely duff. I made a box once, but it didn't really work out. :lol: It proved the newer clients didn't create the binaries though.

When I say newer... I tend to use Japanese and English clients to play with, and which routines are included in different language versions vary. Like, the English version doesn't process hotuk.ini, the code is still there, but nerfed to the point it just won't match anything. So there may be more to it than release date. :wink:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Is it possible to create monsters too?

SiK - [Guide]Item Model Making (Custom Items) - RaGEZONE Forums

SiK - [Guide]Item Model Making (Custom Items) - RaGEZONE Forums

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nice... :D: Are you gonna give us a guide on that? ^_^

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
For what? There are lots of links in this thread. What are you looking for?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Heey can any 1 help me ? i made something but i cant paste an texture on it :S if i drag it into the weap it doesnt work :S and how do i export ?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
All textures must be TGA or BMP. TGA files must be 24 or 32 bit (non-palletised) bottom to top order uncompressed textures. BMP files must be 24 bit RGB without RLE compression.

Export to ASE file in Max. Remove any and all SMD / SMB files you are trying to replace with your new item.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for this guide.
I just wanted to know if there is news about creating new armors?
Thanks

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Did you think to check the date this guide was posted, and see when SiK was last active Robin? (hint: This post is dated 22-04-07, that's April '07 he last posted on RZ in February of this year, but his last post in this section was 27-10-07 or October '07)

Yes there is, actually. The news is that Sandurr released his converter, so you can now import the original meshes into your 3D program and base new models on that. ^_^

It's not perfect, and I'm sure he'd welcome development that would improve it's export rate, which is why he shared the source code with us. :wink:

Also, Vormav is working on a way to make the game display the main body armour, boots, gloves, and armlets separately on every player. You can find details of what he's doing and some information on how in . ^_^ NJoy.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you Bobsobol for your reply.
I tested this smd to ase converter and it's work really nice with monsters. But I tried to do same with armors and when I import it in 3ds max, i get an error and I just see a simple rectangle.
I just do same as I do for monster but got this error. I don't know how to use the source codes. I just know how to model things in 3ds max.
With time we got more things and I think it's not finished. :) Thanks again

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
The only way i could import the converted armor ase's were (tip by Sungam3d) to rename the SMB (file which contains the animation coordinates) to the same name that the SMD you are converting, and in the same directory (folder). (..its a bore to find out the right SMB though XD..)

When i did it on this way, i could import (to 3dsmax 5 and 7, the max 6 i couldn't run here..) the whole body with the bones animations, but the rigging (the link between the animated bones and vertexes/meshes) was lost.. i couldn't see the animations on the 3ds :(.. maybe i done something wrong..

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't see you of the picture that people,And I English is not very good,So you can probably understand tutorial you?Make a model in 3D,Then we derive a ASE to replace SMD?is that right?I still can't open SMD and ASE, which requires some plugins?I am proficient in PhotoShop but 3D in not,can you help me?thanks

Back