Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] Item Modeling in Maya

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I originally wrote this guide for when I was working with DarkKnight to setup SnoxdPT but, our project has long since died and it sits unappreciated in the archives of our forum.
So since he is still active and willing to take part in the PT dev scene I thought I'd give what i could to help spur some creativity.

This is copy and pasted directly from the Snoxd forum at the date it was written. So things may be slightly inaccurate during my rambling :p but the guide still is 100% accurate in what you need to do

------------------------------------
Well me and PT have many flings with firsts in the history of it(First server changer, first full sound control for all servers) and now first tutorial on how to build weapons in maya because I hate 3dsmax.

This Tutorial can possibly be applied to other games using .ase files for models

Alright lets start off with the important parts

The tools of the trade:
Autodesk Maya 2008(buy it or t*rr*nt it )
A hex editor( )
The aseExporter by zbufferstudio( )

Step 1:
Once all the files are downloaded and Maya is installed you need to add the aseExporter plugin.
Installation Instructions:

Extract to /MyDocuments/maya/ folder or wherever you keep your maya projects folder on your harddrive.

The rar archive has the folder paths intact so the scripts will be going to

/maya/scripts/ or /maya/$VERSION/scripts

and the icons will be going to

/maya/$VERSION/prefs/icons/

In order to use the ready made shelf it needs to be in

/maya/$VERSION/prefs/shelves/

(Change the $VERSION to whatever version of maya you are using. You can rename this prior to extracting so you can keep the filepath structure intact (i.e. change to 7.0, 8.5, etc.)

NOTE: If you use the shelf button, it will source the script and call the procedure for you, otherwise:

The script will be sourced upon loading maya, so either reopen maya, or go to your script editor and type:

"Source aseExporter.mel" (without quotes)

To run the script you can either type aseExporterOptions; into the command line or make a shelf button. See the script file for documentation.

It should look like this
s16tXfT - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Step 2:
Time to build your model! Once you are finished building you should have either a wireframe or smooth shade render of your model.
b1ibR0h - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Step 3:
We need to set the pivot points so the weapon lines up properly in the hands of the characters.
Select your model and strike the INSERT key on your keyboard. Now select the x/y/z position tool and move the pivot into position.
bm3y4BM - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

We run into another problem here. The pivot is facing the wrong direction.
We now must hit INSERT and hide the pivot. Select your model and strike F8 key.
Now right click the Misc Components Button and select Image Planes so it unchecks the box.
IwVxDNs - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Now rotate the pivot point by selecting the pivot point on the model(should turn yellow)
Now select the rotate tool and rotate the axis -90 or 270 degrees (you should be able to keep track of the rotation in your side panel) <-- this may vary direction wise according to what direction you built your model from. Trial and error will be needed to get 100% accurate positioning.
Hit the F8 key again to return to regular model editing
EmXpNmh - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Step 4:
Applying skins time
Have your skin file ready as a bitmap that is the .bmp file extension.
Now select your model and go to the top left drop down box and switch to polygon.
Now go to "Create UV" menu item and drop it down and select "planar mapping" (please note that we are selecting planar mapping because it is the easiest for building simple weapons that do not have massive spherical parts. Otherwise you may split up parts of the model for different UV types)
awV3wGL - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Step 5:
Time to set the skin as a material.
Click the "Hypershade/Perspectives" button in the left side menu.
This Will bring up a new split screen. Select Lambert1 and then in the top right corner click the first of the 3 menu setting icons.
Now where it says "Color [ ] =[]================== [>]" Select the [>] arrow box at the end of the attribute. Now select "File" and navigate to your skin file.
Now select your model and then right click and hold on the material you just added the skin to.
Now 5 menu items should pop up. Select "Assign initial shadinggroup to selection"
PBQRjXb - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

sKdv9XM - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Step 6:
Time to apply the skin with UV mapping. This can get really complex if you are unsure but this method is quite easy once u get the hang of it.
Hit the single perspective button and then go to the Window file menu and go down to UV texture editor. Now click on your model, now hold down right click until the model editing pop ups appear. Select UV.
i8eYdkE - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Now in the model viewer you select the UV points you need to move and using the x/y/z position tool move them around in the UV text. editor or model view until they are aligned with your skin.

You can check the finished product by tapping the render button in the top menu.
I1Bau6F - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Step 7:
Exporting time. Now select the zbufferStudio tab and you will see the ASE Export button.
Select you model and tap the button. A window will pop up, select "Build ASE File" and highlight the objects listed. Since I only extrude out of a single cube to build my models I only have 1 object. (Objects can be combined at verticies to make them one object)
Now click browse to place a location you want the file to export to.
Then hit the export button.
pNjIoZS - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Two things may occur.
1:the model will export
2:a second model rebuilt in triangles may appear

if this second one occurs it will be named as objectname2 (in my case pCube2)
Select either 1 of the objects(only one though) and hit export again and it should work.
You may opt to delete the triangle version and only export the quads version.

Step 8:
Time to use the hex editor.
Ok go find the .ase file of your model
rename it after your weapon file you want to replace.(i used itWA104.ase, War Axe)
Now grab your skin file and place it in the same directory as the model.ase file.
Open the Hexeditor XVI32.
Drag your .ase file into the hexeditor.
Now read through the text until you find a part that says
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap" *BITMAP "//scenes/texture/lambert1.bmp"
now you must delete the contents of the quotes and retype them as the name of your skin file.
in my case it becomes
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap" *BITMAP "spreaderaxe.bmp"
now save and quit
b03pbt0 - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Step 9:
Putting the models in-game.
Now go to \\ptdirectory\image\Sinimage\Items\DropItem
ptdirectory is just the name of w/e your Pristontale folder is called.
Find the item you want to replace and rename/delete/move the .smd file for it.
Now place your weapon.ase and skin file in the folder
Now run PT and everything should work.

atH3m0U - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

You may have to resize your weapon or rotate the pivot point again before it is 100% perfect but now you know how it should take about a minute to do.
Dregnox - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Dregnox - [Guide] Item Modeling in Maya - RaGEZONE Forums

Enjoy

Guide By Dregnox/Sentaur

Special Thanks to Melocrie for making the skin file for this weapon.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
i know im brining up a old topic
but i think this is a good guide x)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aye, it's by Dregnox so of course it is ;): I plan on pinning it if I can get a new section made in here called "Tutorials".

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
just a warning, maya is a 5,000$ modeling software.

Please be careful when downloading warez/t*rr*nts not to do something stupid (like registering it).

I apologize for reviving a sort-of old topic but we have alot of "children" or people who just dont know on the PT community.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thx for warning bt5460.
i forget alot of people are pretty computer illiterate even though they game alot D:

be careful t*rr*ting
make sure to read comments left by other users and ensure there are a healthy number of seeds and the file sizes are approximately the right size

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
also, never download any "crack.exe" or "Maya crack.exe" or anything.

If the file is not zipped/archived with some sort of read me. its 95% chance of being a virus of some sort. and even with a read me or w/e...it can still be fake.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i hate to sound obvious but. read the first post?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah, i alrdy got Maya.

The modeling is hard and the first post is nothing but pivot and skinning

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I only told you how to do important parts to get the skins and models working in the game.

You can find modeling tuts all over the internet. there is ALOT of Maya support out there.
Learn how to use the Extrude tool and camera control hot keys and things fly by pretty quickly.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Jaysus, 7 years on and ragezones still going strong. I resurrected all my image sources. I hope this guide is still useful to users. I noticed the 3dsmaxguide also has suffered from neglect and has lost its image sources, sadly, I'm not that posts author.
Happy customizing.
13 years of PT, the memories. <3

Back