Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide]How to make your serverfiles working

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Hashing records, and hashing passwords are two different things. A hash match can speed up a record search, it isn't used as the only means of identifying a password, as that would effectively mean that more than one password would work to access the account. Encryption of passwords is used, and the encryption will be performed in accordance with a key, which may or may not be a hash value of some other indeterminate data.

Buy MySQL is no good for PT, and will interfere with it's operation.

If you use SQL.dll then ODBC isn't used (apparently) as SQL.dll accesses the database via MDAC... if you don't use SQL.dll (or it's not configured correctly) then the server will fall back to ODBC.

ODBC, MDAC and NCLI are APIs for database access, and allow you to use an external database rather than programming your own into your application.

What "account" are you trying to log in to? Your game account, PC account, ISP account, Server account, GM account, SQL account? ... hell you could be talking about a hotmail account.

If (as I suspect) you mean logging in to SQL via MS-SQL-SMS (SQL Management) then the most common reason for not being able to log in via the password you set is because that account has been locked out, and on modern hardware the most common reason for a root (administrator) account being locked out of SQL is the ODBC control panel described in this, and many older guides.

The only cure I know of is to roll back and try again, except that I would always apply the ODBC connection directly in the registry without the ODBC "Database Sources" applet.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I should have been more clear. I was talking about my Private server game account I manually created in MySQL. Not my SQL account. I'm not terribly experienced in this area, so I'm sorry if I sound a bit confusing to you D: (it sounds good in my head :D).

EDIT: Do you know, by any chance, where the character information is stored in MySQL?

EDIT2: Well it looks like the character information is stored in dataserver/userdata/

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I should have been more clear. I was talking about my Private server game account I manually created in MySQL. Not my SQL account. I'm not terribly experienced in this area, so I'm sorry if I sound a bit confusing to you D: (it sounds good in my head :D).
MySQL has nothing to do with PT... it WILL NOT WORK!!!
EDIT: Do you know, by any chance, where the character information is stored in MySQL?
No where. As you cannot use MySQL with PT servers. NOTHING from PT is stored in MySQL. The only things PT actually stores in Microsoft SQL are user names, passwords, Clan registration, SoD2 scores and some error logging.

Unfortunately everything else is stored via the file system, not in the database.
EDIT2: Well it looks like the character information is stored in dataserver/userdata/
Correct.

To be totally clear:-
= a very good cross platform SQL database engine we cannot use for PT.
= a not so good commercial SQL database engine sold by Microsoft with buggy SQL syntax, poor scalability and only available for Microsoft operating systems which we have to use in PT because of the cookie SQL syntax hard coded into it.

If you have installed MySQL, there is no need to look for any other problem... this is it.

If you are repeatedly making typos saying MySQL when you mean MS SQL, please stop it.:lol:

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
MySQL has nothing to do with PT... it WILL NOT WORK!!!
No where. As you cannot use MySQL with PT servers. NOTHING from PT is stored in MySQL. The only things PT actually stores in Microsoft SQL are user names, passwords, Clan registration, SoD2 scores and some error logging.

Unfortunately everything else is stored via the file system, not in the database.

Correct.

To be totally clear:-
= a very good cross platform SQL database engine we cannot use for PT.
= a not so good commercial SQL database engine sold by Microsoft with buggy SQL syntax, poor scalability and only available for Microsoft operating systems which we have to use in PT because of the cookie SQL syntax hard coded into it.

If you have installed MySQL, there is no need to look for any other problem... this is it.

If you are repeatedly making typos saying MySQL when you mean MS SQL, please stop it.:lol:

Yes, MSSQL stored Login's and passwords, that's not nothing -_-. I've read somewhere that it is possible to use SQL as a data source instead of the .dats. I think it might have been you, I'll have to double check.

Ohh Yes, I am using MS SQL with this pt server. I do have MySQL though, just not using it with the pt server XD (I guess I can't, but I didn't even try). Anyways, there is no problem, I am on my server as I type. I am just playing with some things now (trying to get multimanager to work, it says It can't find/ or cannot access the sql server). Besides that, everything seems to be running smoothly.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
so do brazil gostei desse forum to me esforçando pra tentar entender algo aqui auhauhuha
RaGEZONE rules state that if you are going to post in a language other than "English" you should provide some form of translation.
Anyone from Brazil who likes this forum care to help me, I'm struggling to understand some things here mauhauhuha
Would do nicely if I'm not mistaken. :wink:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Man, I can`t find out how to connect to my server...

Look, the only thing I could do, was to set up my hotuk file...

Look, I dont, know what client to download, what to do after installing the client, what file to run to be able to connect to server... Please help xD

(I dont`t know why, but looks like it`s missing the final part of the thread, why?
After how to create monsters, it doesn`t appear nothing more, that is the part of how to connect)

Waiting for reply ^^
Excelent tutorial, for what I could understand.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
The server client got to be the same as the game client, use the search function and the right words in order to find what you're looking for. So just make sure they match and thats pretty much it. Oh try not to use your IP, go for localhost while you're testing your server + it makes it all much easier. And yes the final part of the guide IS missing, because something got screwed up while swezid were editing the guide some years ago. But it doesn't seem like hes coming back since he've been off for such a long while. Anyhow im sure there are other people in this section that may help you to make your server work :)

Peace

Last edited:
Back