Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Notes on Armors (Armors 101)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, i did everything, but the texture still keeps messed up, here a BMP:
ScreamingFox - Notes on Armors  (Armors 101) - RaGEZONE Forums

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well, i traveled for 2 weeks and im back now, i restarted everything but i still get the textures messed up, i did everything u told me to do, mapping coordinates, the uvw map , but i still get the messed textures, here another ss with anoter meshes:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In my experience, textures usually export with fully qualified path, and cannot be moved to another machine until the paths are made relevant to the client folder. If you are not exporting to the client folder on your PC, they won't even work there.

Does that help?

(BTW... you know there is a low and hard tri-poly limit to objects in PT right? That model looks *way* to complicated to play with to me)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
In my experience, textures usually export with fully qualified path, and cannot be moved to another machine until the paths are made relevant to the client folder. If you are not exporting to the client folder on your PC, they won't even work there.

Does that help?

(BTW... you know there is a low and hard tri-poly limit to objects in PT right? That model looks *way* to complicated to play with to me)
well, i did this way:I exported everything then i opened the .ASE file and modified some paths, like the name of the mesh, which was empty, in this case was a XmasHatFS.Max,and the paths to textures, in this case was c:/..., i changed to xmashatfs/*texturename*, so i still dont get any good result, look the same thing.Sry for my bad english :/

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Export the ase both in max 7 (or the one you use to export with the Sandurr exporter) and a more recent version of 3dsmax, and use the mapping coordinates from the one you exported with the recent 3dsmax (use only the Physique block from the other).

I am without the 3dsmax7 right now, but with luck i will have time to install it again and make a simple object to do those stuff again, etc..

Nice head XD..

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Export the ase both in max 7 (or the one you use to export with the Sandurr exporter) and a more recent version of 3dsmax, and use the mapping coordinates from the one you exported with the recent 3dsmax (use only the Physique block from the other).

I am without the 3dsmax7 right now, but with luck i will have time to install it again and make a simple object to do those stuff again, etc..

Nice head XD..
I already did what u said to me, and the others said to me, no results. I think i dont need have the mesh,textures files inside server and client folders, because with normal items,when i change any mesh file, they work normally with right textures. And i dont know what to do.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The server needs no textures. (doesn't use them, and only really uses bounding boxes for other objects ... but they won't cause it problems)

The textures client side need to not be fully qualified. They must be relative, and depending on which routine is rendering that object, the base of that relative path is different. I don't know what it would be for your "head", you'll just have to figure that out from similar objects.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The server needs no textures. (doesn't use them, and only really uses bounding boxes for other objects ... but they won't cause it problems)

The textures client side need to not be fully qualified. They must be relative, and depending on which routine is rendering that object, the base of that relative path is different. I don't know what it would be for your "head", you'll just have to figure that out from similar objects.

Bob, if im not asking too much, do you want the .Max file and .ASE file , and u see whats wrong with my work?, i have no hope now :/

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No. I can't read them. (don't have 3D Studio, and don't know how to use it... I'm just terrible at it, like hand-eye co-ordination stuff)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
SunnyZ, there is the files, stored on 4shared, everything u need(tex,.max,.ase), if u need anything else, let me know,see if u can fix and tell me what im doing wrong and how to fix it.

Reaction score
First off reduce your skins size. 1024x1024 is FAR to big.
PT supports 512x512 at Maximum.
For a small head, make the textures maybe 256x256 or 128x128.

PT does not support massive textures, they will appear invisible/screwed up.

Also the head has got LOTS of polygons, this could also add to the problem.

However I have just literally downloaded the files. I will try load them up with reduced textures and tell you how it goes.

---Edit---

Also all your image names in the ASE were really messed up.
Some were bmp, some were tga, some were named wrong...

Edited your ASE in notepad changed all names to new ones, resized the skins to 128x128 24bit bitmaps and renamed them. Feel free to make the images bigger, I was made them small for testing.

Seems to work perfect now.

Download:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, is still the same thing when u sent this here,The eyes seems working right now, but head and hair texture still messed up, look the SS

If u see right, they are totally messed up.
And Eyes and Hair textures, both has alpha channels, it must keep inside the texture.

See whats wrong with this mesh, im almost giving up

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If u see right, they are totally messed up.
And Eyes and Hair textures, both has alpha channels, it must keep inside the texture.

See whats wrong with this mesh, im almost giving up
Looks as accurate as the PT engine gets to me. Alpha layers are an advanced feature, used sparingly and with great art and care. Seeing back faces behind alpha... I've never seen a PT engine that does that right. How are you planning to rewrite the engine code to achieve that? :wink:

Honestly, I suspect you are simply expecting too much of a game which is a decade old, but the arty folks here may know some tricks you can use to get closer.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Looks as accurate as the PT engine gets to me. Alpha layers are an advanced feature, used sparingly and with great art and care. Seeing back faces behind alpha... I've never seen a PT engine that does that right. How are you planning to rewrite the engine code to achieve that? :wink:

Honestly, I suspect you are simply expecting too much of a game which is a decade old, but the arty folks here may know some tricks you can use to get closer.
Alpha Channels works well on PT, i tried to put some Trees and flowers on Ricarten City, and worked well, not sooooooooooooo perfect, but it worked. And i dont know nothing about programming or about PT programming, i just try to make some mods for fun :p or just port them from another game to PT, for fun :p

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
I think that the style of the face does not fit the general style of PT, but i do not think that it is 'bad', i like that face, pretty good one really.. I think that Priston Tale is a great game to learn modeling to games, and easier than the first unreal to mod (to 'mod' itens, not the skill stuff of course, or character's animations) XD.. (and Priston Tale is Unreal Engine based, i heard..).

To monsters i noticed that the game can support more content than to characters (richer textures and models (by richer i mean with more resolution, etc..))..

A good thing to test and learn to put pieces of armor or new pieces of armor is to start with the shoulder pad which the easiest part..

There are a lot of funny things you can do to play around to test adding perfectly a new armor part:
-Adding lots of Japanese swords rigged on the waist of a knight. XD
-Adding a 30 faced good looking quiver to an archer. XD
-Etc..

I suspect that the face is without texture, since it is gray on the game.. And some bits are looking weird because of the smoothing groups.

Ah.. Uhmmm.. Perhaps i 'solved the mystery' right now but you have to test it, etc.. Perhaps on the face and helmet the Material ID's are being assigned to the wrong textures/polys, or vice-versa if you know what i mean.. I remember that it was it when i had a very similar problem.. XD

But try to make a 'low poly' face, save it, model it a bit further, apply tessellate and then meshsmooth, and then take a "ambient occlusion" render of the high poly face, and use it as a base for the low poly (game) head model.. And before putting it on PT, if you want a more refined model try to separate the smoothing groups nicely, it makes it look like it was way higher poly XD..

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The Material ID is correcty assigned to mesh, i´ll try put a ball(literally) instead of head, with some texture, if it works, i will try to discover what is wrong with my mesh

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Priston Tale is Unreal Engine based, i heard..
I think you "misheard". PT2 (2nd Enigma) is written on the Unreal engine.

The other mistake people make is thinking that our .SMD files are the same as Half-Life SMDs. The two are unrelated.

The PT "engine" is a custom build, specifically written for PT, and I suspect that PT was written around an Engine that was designed to render 3D Studio ASE files of Discreet 3D Studio 6 in DirectX 3. (or maybe 5, but with DX3 documentation XD ... and some WinG principals)

Trying to think of other 3D games that would fit that time period is hard. It was 98 / 99 when I was playing beta, so Quake III time? Descent? About the time Unreal was first released, (pre tournament) but I know PT had been in closed dev for a couple of years before that, and wouldn't have had access to the engine.

Back