Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Client unresponsive

lai

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So i've been adding and implementing somethings from higher version on to my server. I've started to notice when I spawn a boss or something or enter a map. Things get out of place images and renders start to disappear, entering another map via portal is delayed. Bgm sounds don't change from map to map and then after a bit the client freezes you can still hear the bgm.
Some mobs also are out of place. I'm pretty sure this isn't a memory leak from my source but maybe the client isn't rendering some images properly.

If I close the client and re-open it everything seems fine. This doesn't happen all the time but randomly and only with after interacting with the new stuff I implemented.
@Kimberly @Eric if you could shine some light on this issue, would be appreciative.
When I try to log out, my screen remains black and unresponsive.

I'm almost certain this happens only after killing a boss I added from a different version.

Version i'm using is v0.62
I have Windows 10
with Nvidia GFX 1060

Edit: This is what happens when I try logging out during the render issue (most of the times it is pitch black and I can't do anything just kill the process with taskmgr)

lai - Client unresponsive - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay so we have 2 issues with pree bb clients, 1 being the memory leak and the 2nd being adding lots of wz edits in a modified format from the original which in return aids to the original memory leak problem.

That being said if I were able to fix this, this would mean having to re-add all the custom wz edits again? In general, is there a limit for the amount of wz edits that can be done even with such a fix?

Correct and correct.

Yes and no. If you were to only fix the memory leak in pre-bb clients it would make the graphical glitching error a lot harder to come by (depending on the amount of wz edits and where, may not even occur anymore). However, if you were to fix the wz formats as well, which would be entirely in the backend of HaRepacker & MapleLib, then yes you'd need to copy over the new edits again from higher versions. Then once you save with the original image formats being encoded, your files will both reduce in overall size and memory required in the client to cache it.

As for limitations, no, you could add as many edits as you'd like; however, do realize that the higher version maps utilize crazy amounts of assets which is what will push your client to its limits. You basically don't want a crazy amount of assets loaded all into a single map, and then change maps frequently enough to kill the clients cache (items and such don't take up much, but Mob & Map entities do). In my opinion, you'll be just fine if you simply fix the pre-bb memory leak.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@lai not exactly the "correct" format, but their "original" given format. imagine saving every image into the new DXT5 image bitmaps, it'd be even bigger than it already is now. but yes, you basically got the idea - a lot of wz edits can cause graphical issues due to a lot of memory.
Does it have to be the "original" format? Is it possible to save the entire WZ with the smallest format?

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be the "original" format? Is it possible to save the entire WZ with the smallest format?

The original format just guarantees the files original size. Of course you can save the entire WZ with the smallest format, but then you'd break all of the images in the game. This is because the smallest format available here is RGB565 which means none of your PNG transparency will exist. The formats used here differ for a reason, but not all images need to be ARGB8 when ARGB4 could just as easily be used and smaller.

Upvote 0
Back