Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Creation of a new NPC at a location [v117]

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello guys!

Like the title mentioned, I would be greatly appreciate any help regarding a creation of a new NPC at a particular location.

I've looked through the forums and I understand most of the guides here teaches people on how to script. I've more or less understood about the scripting portion of the NPC (e.g making functions, textboxes and all the likes), but I remain confused on the creation of a completely new NPC at a particular location.

Some of the guides that I've read through mentioned the editing the map's XML file in Map.wz to insert new NPCs (some of these guides are really dated, somewhere back to 2008?), so I would like to ask if it's actually the correct way to insert new NPCs into the game itself?

For example, I would like to make a new NPC (without any modifications of existing NPCs) at map "104000002" (which happens to be in Lith Harbor's item shop), therefore, some clarification/guidance on this will be greatly appreciated!

If there's a need to know the source I'm running on, that would be ExileMS, v117.1.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As far as I know, adding a new NPC entry into the maps XML file is still valid. I have read some stuff about people trying new ways, but I can't remember how or where I read it. Somewhere on ragezone though haha. I should note that manually editing the XML files is very inefficient (time-wise).

The other option is to add the !pnpc command to your source. This is the preferred option by most, especially if you want to add multiple NPCs. You should be able to find it on ragezone, but you'll probably have to play around a bit to get it to compile properly. GL!

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi Drum, thanks for the input. I managed to add in NPCs into the game!

I'm also confused about NPCIDs as of now. All the tutorials that I've went through are currently asking me to edit an existing NPC to achieve a "custom" NPC that I'm about to script. Is there a way to insert a completely new NPC into the game?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
That's great bruh! Well, as far as I know, you must use the NPCs (and their IDs) defined the WZ files. To add a completely new NPC (created by you, image and all) would be getting into WZ-editing territory I would think, which is not allowed to be discussed in this section.

Other thing is, some NPCs are quite simply not scriptable. I think this is because Nexon made them so in the WZ files or something. If you googled around you could probably find a list of all the NPCs that you can script yourself :)

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification!

How about a completely new NPC (with a new name and all), that uses an existing sprite of the NPC, but does not interfere with the operations of the same NPC that uses the sprite? Is it even possible, or every single "custom" NPC that we run are just edits of existing NPCs re-purposed to our needs?

Sorry for the questions, but you've been a great help thus far!

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification!

How about a completely new NPC (with a new name and all), that uses an existing sprite of the NPC, but does not interfere with the operations of the same NPC that uses the sprite? Is it even possible, or every single "custom" NPC that we run are just edits of existing NPCs re-purposed to our needs?

Sorry for the questions, but you've been a great help thus far!

No that's fine! Questions are what make us all learn more :) Quite simply, I would imagine anything to do with creating an all new NPC of your own (with a new ID) would be into WZ editing territory, and probably editing the client (which we can't do because we do not have the source of a client currently). NPCs have fixed IDs corresponding to their name and sprite. All IDs are unique. That's sort of set in stone, and hard to change.

However, I'm thinking PlayerNPCs might be right up your alley. PlayerNPCs are basically characters (wearing character equips and whatnot) made into NPCs with custom names. Do some googling on them, there's plenty of material around :)

Upvote 0
Back