Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Develop a server

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So lately i was courios about how can i realy develop a server.
I mean that, i will take a source that got will have problems and i will start and fix him.
So i would love someone could give me a guides that can help me with that or someone that will teach me.
If someone have a 17x source that have sql and he have a redirector and wz i would love to start from there.
Btw i saw fraysa guide, how to make a redirector mu question is, its for all the versions?
http://forum.ragezone.com/f922/tutorial-maplestory-redirector-958344/
Thank you for your time!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have some questions about this source:
1) Is it 176.3 or 177.1
2) i saw its got a built in project so just to open it with netbeans, compile and to create a dist folder with the jar files?
3) for the wz files to download the setup from gmsdl.com and use the wz dumper? Is their version is 176.3?
4) for a redirector its ok to use that:

5) any tips?
Thank you for your time!

Upvote 0
Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1) Depends on which one you download, there's 2 public versions.
2) The Getting Started guide has the step-by-step on that.
3) Setups are for the major version only, not minor. There is no 176.3 setup.
4) No idea since I'm honestly not going to download anything to confirm. Going to have to see for yourself.
5) Yes, if you're completely new, which it seems that you are, my tip would be to not bother with v17X and instead do lower version development. You'll learn way more and faster on v83, for example. v17X dev is simply not user-friendly at all.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1) Depends on which one you download, there's 2 public versions.
2) The Getting Started guide has the step-by-step on that.
3) Setups are for the major version only, not minor. There is no 176.3 setup.
4) No idea since I'm honestly not going to download anything to confirm. Going to have to see for yourself.
5) Yes, if you're completely new, which it seems that you are, my tip would be to not bother with v17X and instead do lower version development. You'll learn way more and faster on v83, for example. v17X dev is simply not user-friendly at all.
1) i guess there is a patcher for that version?
2) the redirectors are from the source thread. And threre is thr fraysa guide to make a redirector so its good for that version?
3) im not new to coding and im know also networking so i have some knowledge, and i just need to open the project with netbeans no?
4) what v83 or any other version you have that i can start from?

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1) i guess there is a patcher for that version?
2) the redirectors are from the source thread. And threre is thr fraysa guide to make a redirector so its good for that version?
3) im not new to coding and im know also networking so i have some knowledge, and i just need to open the project with netbeans no?
4) what v83 or any other version you have that i can start from?

1) Well, you just install v176 in itself because 176 is a Major and 3 is the Minor (or as Nexon refers to it, the "PatchLocation"). If the client's handshake doesn't have a valid patch minor anymore, then you can just change the patch version from 3 to 1 and it'd work just fine for your 176.1 client.
2) The redirector you'll use is just a simple MSAuth redirector. I don't think Fraysa's guide was designed for that type of redirection, but I could be wrong as I don't think I've seen the thread?
3) Like it's been stated before though, you don't have to be new to coding. You'll still want to get used to a working and stable build of OdinMS architecture, which is available on versions like 83, not 170. If you have programming and networking knowledge then consider it a plus, if you can learn how to update packets and work with Odin emulators then you'll be just fine working on 170 if you have the time and motivation for the amount of work required to manage it. Your IDE is up to you whether it be Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. Mushy should use Maven (not sure if you're familiar with it or not) and will include a "pom" file that will pretty much handle the big stuff (libraries, etc) and load the source into your IDE for you. So..yes? You just open the project in your IDE with the necessary libraries, update your config, and compile the output JAR. I'm sure this is stated on the Getting Started help on the Git.
4) This is RaGEZONE, which is a massive library for MapleStory. You can find hundreds of sources/repacks for all different versions, languages and regions here. I'd say that it's the combination of preference alongside your goals. What are your plans/what do you want? Most people are ideal with v83, the most common version out there. For v83, you have LocalMS (OdinMS with RMI) and you have MoopleDEV/Solaxia (OdinMS without RMI and updated packets). Others prefer to be v62, which is just closer to OdinMS, but any version of 62 and lower will always include RMI unless you remove it yourself. Assuming you have a networking background, you should know what RMI is or have somewhat an understanding. Once you mess around with a lower version source you can begin learning packets and how to update from version to version. You'll also need to learn IDA unless your goal is to be up-to-date with GMS in which case you'll rely more on packet sniffing. However, once you have the basics down on a lower version and have made sense of everything, then moving to 170+ development will more be your area. Just remember that higher versions lack resources that lower versions have, that's the biggest difference and reason to stay lower version. If you're all about guessing, have real good knowledge of the game and how to packet sniff/work IDA, then being a high version is for you.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1) Well, you just install v176 in itself because 176 is a Major and 3 is the Minor (or as Nexon refers to it, the "PatchLocation"). If the client's handshake doesn't have a valid patch minor anymore, then you can just change the patch version from 3 to 1 and it'd work just fine for your 176.1 client.
2) The redirector you'll use is just a simple MSAuth redirector. I don't think Fraysa's guide was designed for that type of redirection, but I could be wrong as I don't think I've seen the thread?
3) Like it's been stated before though, you don't have to be new to coding. You'll still want to get used to a working and stable build of OdinMS architecture, which is available on versions like 83, not 170. If you have programming and networking knowledge then consider it a plus, if you can learn how to update packets and work with Odin emulators then you'll be just fine working on 170 if you have the time and motivation for the amount of work required to manage it. Your IDE is up to you whether it be Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. Mushy should use Maven (not sure if you're familiar with it or not) and will include a "pom" file that will pretty much handle the big stuff (libraries, etc) and load the source into your IDE for you. So..yes? You just open the project in your IDE with the necessary libraries, update your config, and compile the output JAR. I'm sure this is stated on the Getting Started help on the Git.
4) This is RaGEZONE, which is a massive library for MapleStory. You can find hundreds of sources/repacks for all different versions, languages and regions here. I'd say that it's the combination of preference alongside your goals. What are your plans/what do you want? Most people are ideal with v83, the most common version out there. For v83, you have LocalMS (OdinMS with RMI) and you have MoopleDEV/Solaxia (OdinMS without RMI and updated packets). Others prefer to be v62, which is just closer to OdinMS, but any version of 62 and lower will always include RMI unless you remove it yourself. Assuming you have a networking background, you should know what RMI is or have somewhat an understanding. Once you mess around with a lower version source you can begin learning packets and how to update from version to version. You'll also need to learn IDA unless your goal is to be up-to-date with GMS in which case you'll rely more on packet sniffing. However, once you have the basics down on a lower version and have made sense of everything, then moving to 170+ development will more be your area. Just remember that higher versions lack resources that lower versions have, that's the biggest difference and reason to stay lower version. If you're all about guessing, have real good knowledge of the game and how to packet sniff/work IDA, then being a high version is for you.
my goal is to get too a point where i can update sources to higher version, fix things, to know the big picture behind it, and just to develop a server and to get it to a gms like.
motivation i have thats not my problem, my issue that i just need someone or something that will guide me, i need a path, subjects to learn in order.
you basicly say i need to start from lower version because its will be more friendly and just have more tools?
and to start from packet sniffing?

Upvote 0
Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
my goal is to get too a point where i can update sources to higher version, fix things, to know the big picture behind it, and just to develop a server and to get it to a gms like.
motivation i have thats not my problem, my issue that i just need someone or something that will guide me, i need a path, subjects to learn in order.
you basicly say i need to start from lower version because its will be more friendly and just have more tools?
and to start from packet sniffing?

You can start with a lower version to get familiar with Odin in a more stable environment before moving to higher versions. Once you feel comfortable at that level, you will have much more success moving on to the more challenging higher versions.

You're free to join the discord in my signature and ask for help in the #help text channel whenever you get stuck or just have a question to ask. It is a discord server for maplestory development. Just keep in mind not to take it personal if nobody responds or if you don't get taken seriously, it's bound to happen. Every other week there is somebody new that pops up and says "I want a GMS-like source", and within a month, they're completely gone.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
translation being you have no clue what you're doing and you want someone to hold your hand.
If this what you understood from what i say, its not.
You can start with a lower version to get familiar with Odin in a more stable environment before moving to higher versions. Once you feel comfortable at that level, you will have much more success moving on to the more challenging higher versions.

You're free to join the discord in my signature and ask for help in the #help text channel whenever you get stuck or just have a question to ask. It is a discord server for maplestory development. Just keep in mind not to take it personal if nobody responds or if you don't get taken seriously, it's bound to happen. Every other week there is somebody new that pops up and says "I want a GMS-like source", and within a month, they're completely gone.
I have moople v83, so just look at the source and start understand what going on?
Where is the best to start? I mean where in the source is the best to look.

Upvote 0
Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If this what you understood from what i say, its not.

I have moople v83, so just look at the source and start understand what going on?
Where is the best to start? I mean where in the source is the best to look.

If you don't know anything, then look at everything. Otherwise pick something you want to focus on, then target that. There's networking, data loading upon start up, maps, npcs, scripts, reactors, quests, packet handling, packet creation, commands, database, etc... There is no "Learn everything with this step-by-step guide."

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you don't know anything, then look at everything. Otherwise pick something you want to focus on, then target that. There's networking, data loading upon start up, maps, npcs, scripts, reactors, quests, packet handling, packet creation, commands, database, etc... There is no "Learn everything with this step-by-step guide."
ok ty!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back