Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Eric's Guide to coding, IDE Maplestory servers

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hey Eric, it's been a long while. Maybe you remember me as that guy who asked all those questions in detail about how to code, or understand the infrastructure in a maple story server.

I was just browsing for old time sake, and I stumbled upon a post where you said you'll make a guide. I know it may seem rude asking you for all you have done for me, and the rest of the community. I believe sharing your knowledge would be a great benefit and I super super interested in this type of subjects.

TL;DR Our lord and saviour @Eric should write a guide about how to code and use IDA for a maplestory sever, to fix, improve the server files using examples and such.

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing how busy he's lately with his server and work (school?) I don't think he have the time anytime soon to make that happen

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Could always read a programming book to start off...

The thing is... I have 8 years of experience with C and Java combined, so that isn't the problem. The problem is the structure of it. It's like looking at another person's code without the layout it gets a little confusing ...

Upvote 0
Reaction score
The thing is... I have 8 years of experience with C and Java combined, so that isn't the problem. The problem is the structure of it. It's like looking at another person's code without the layout it gets a little confusing ...

If you have that experience in programming, then structure wise, you can technically create your own. Just by referencing existing sources, can give you can example of what to expect when designing your structure.

Coming up with the structure would be easier if you have long experience in maplestory (you'd know ahead of time what to code and thus be able to structure it nicely). In the end, it doesn't matter what you begin your structure because you can always refactor it later.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
If you have that experience in programming, then structure wise, you can technically create your own. Just by referencing existing sources, can give you can example of what to expect when designing your structure.

Coming up with the structure would be easier if you have long experience in maplestory (you'd know ahead of time what to code and thus be able to structure it nicely). In the end, it doesn't matter what you begin your structure because you can always refactor it later.

Yeah for sure, thats what I have been doing lately. Was wondering if someone could ease my journey a little bit, for example: Tell me like what is MapleCharacter.Java responsible for or the Skillfactory.java is responsible for, or when I need to implement something how do I know which .java class do I go into?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Yeah for sure, thats what I have been doing lately. Was wondering if someone could ease my journey a little bit, for example: Tell me like what is MapleCharacter.Java responsible for or the Skillfactory.java is responsible for, or when I need to implement something how do I know which .java class do I go into?

MapleCharacter is basically the class which is the user itself. It stores and contains everything about a user. Each user is its own MapleCharacter object.
SkillFactory is what odin uses to load skill data from skill.wz. It stores each skill information into a map with <Integer, Skill> where Int is the skill ID and Skill is Skill.java which is a holder of like, it's id again, action, animation time, element, effects. The effect list uses MapleStatEffect, which is the class where it deals with the skills actual stats and applying its effect, etc.

I do everything all different myself, so whether you do the same, is up to you.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
MapleCharacter is basically the class which is the user itself. It stores and contains everything about a user. Each user is its own MapleCharacter object.
SkillFactory is what odin uses to load skill data from skill.wz. It stores each skill information into a map with <Integer, Skill> where Int is the skill ID and Skill is Skill.java which is a holder of like, it's id again, action, animation time, element, effects. The effect list uses MapleStatEffect, which is the class where it deals with the skills actual stats and applying its effect, etc.

I do everything all different myself, so whether you do the same, is up to you.
See thats the exact info I need, where did you learn that from? Just from experience ?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
See thats the exact info I need, where did you learn that from? Just from experience ?

Started maple dev 10 years ago (2008), so basically experience.

It helps to understand what the game is all about, so you can design your structure to suit it. Like.. since you have a field (the map) which contains life such as mobs, reactors, npcs etc. Users have skills, quests, minigame records, items (inventories), etc. So with working with it all for a long time, I was able to write my own.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Started maple dev 10 years ago (2008), so basically experience.

It helps to understand what the game is all about, so you can design your structure to suit it. Like.. since you have a field (the map) which contains life such as mobs, reactors, npcs etc. Users have skills, quests, minigame records, items (inventories), etc. So with working with it all for a long time, I was able to write my own.

I see, thank you. Maybe one day someone should make a guide of all this

Upvote 0
Back