Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Jump Quest/Event Map Skill Disable

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know that in certain maps, skills like flash jump and haste are disabled. (Usually for JQs and Event Maps).
I understand this is client sided, but does anyone know what the pattern is for the client to detect whether or nor the map restricts this?
(For example, gender restrictions on equips/faces/hairs are based on the ID of the equip/face/hair. Using the pattern, you can create custom equips/faces/hairs and choose make them gender restricted depending on what ID you give it. Is there also some sort of pattern for client sided maps with skill disables?)

All event maps in GMS v83 have the ID 1090XXXXX
Does this mean if I make a map that follows that ID structure, it will also disable skills? (Like 109020002, 109020003, etc...)

Or has nobody found the pattern yet? And I need to kind of guess and check?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I know that in certain maps, skills like flash jump and haste are disabled. (Usually for JQs and Event Maps).
I understand this is client sided, but does anyone know what the pattern is for the client to detect whether or nor the map restricts this?
(For example, gender restrictions on equips/faces/hairs are based on the ID of the equip/face/hair. Using the pattern, you can create custom equips/faces/hairs and choose make them gender restricted depending on what ID you give it. Is there also some sort of pattern for client sided maps with skill disables?)

All event maps in GMS v83 have the ID 1090XXXXX
Does this mean if I make a map that follows that ID structure, it will also disable skills? (Like 109020002, 109020003, etc...)

Or has nobody found the pattern yet? And I need to kind of guess and check?

that pattern for the map ID is only for the ease of reference. you still have to add the properties and stuffs of the event map to the map you create

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
But I thought disabled skills was client sided so this isn't a property that can be turned on and off

Eg. You can't just find a setting in the wz files to turn on skills in the OX Quiz map.

Bump?
Any help is appreciated. :p

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
fieldLimit may play a role in what you want to achieve. It's stored as a decimal number for every map inside the WZ files. If you are using the skill, and you're getting the pink message saying "You may not use this skill in this map" or whatever, it's most likely due to fieldLimit.

The way it works, is that once you convert the decimal value to binary, you will have 32 bits that each represent a flag for a certain action on the map. A value of 0 means the flag is off, while a value of 1 means the flag is on. Here's a reference:

Code:
 Jump(0x1),
    MovementSkills(0x2),
    SummoningBag(0x04),
    MysticDoor(0x08),
    ChannelSwitch(0x10),
    RegularExpLoss(0x20),
    VipRock(0x40),
    Minigames(0x80),
    Mount(0x200),
    PotionUse(0x400), //or 0x40000
    Event(0x2000),
 Pet(0x8000), //needs confirmation
    Event2(0x10000),
    DropDown(0x20000),

Only documented up to bit 18 (0x20000). There are 32 flags in all. There is still a lot we don't know the purpose of!

For stuff like this, an example is usually the best way to learn. Here's a fieldLimit value from the OX Quiz Map:

Code:

Which is in decimal form. If we convert that value into binary, and adding the trailing zeros so that we have 32 bits, or 8 bytes in total:

Code:
0000 0000 0000 0001 0010 0010 1111 1110

So let's take a look at one of our flags. Let's choose MovementSkills(0x2) (since you are interested in it). If we convert the hexadecimal 0x2 into binary we get 0010. We read binary from right to left. So reading 0010, we see that the 2nd bit from the right represents MovementSkills. Counting from right to left in our main fieldLimit value the 2nd bit is set to 1. This means that MovementSkills is set to on. So in other words, skills like Flash Jump, Haste are disallowed on this map (I think a value of 1 means it's disallowed, basing it on the fact that I know on the OX quix map regular players cannot use these skills).

Ultimately, I'm not sure whether a server-sided XML edit is sufficient to apply changes to all players, or whether you may need to edit your actual WZ files and redistribute them, let me know if you try it eh?

Credits go to @AngelSpirit for teaching me this, and I think finding some of these references.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help, AngelSpirit and Drum!
You're right, it is 'fieldLimit' that's causing this.

And to answer your question, I tested what you've said and a server-sided XML edit is not enough to apply the changes. But after editing my own WZ Files and opening the game, the changes were applied!
I put the OX Map's field type value in Henesys in my .WZ files and was no longer able to use any movement skills!

I'm going to perform some further tests, but thanks a lot for your help again! :)

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
this is extremely informative! good research and explanation, AngelSpirit and Drum.
this seems to need server side support aswell from what ive tested. if i find anything to the contrary, ill share my findings.

EDIT: i should say, i havent found it to be possible thru SOLEY wz editing, it may be possible thru client editing. but that kind of editing is more hardcore, youll have to understand assembly and some other low level languages very well.

somewhat related, i tried working with some skill editing, to see if its possible to get any otherwise disabled moves working, and nothing skill related is possible.
you can however enable swimming on a map, which is strange. my guess is event maps thought up from the start, where as aqua was something someone thought up and wanted to add in later on (long after the 32 variables mentioned above were set).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back