Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

some questions

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello, I've been digesting most of the tutorials here, and I've some places that are not very understood..
(no spoonfeed..i just wanna know the logic behind these..)

1.does the source have to be same version as the setup/client (eg:v117 source + v117 setup/client)?
could it be v117 source + v170+ setup/client?

if could, does it mean that some feature in the v170 setup/client will be sending packets to the server(v117) but the server would not understand so return error..?

so, we need to do packet sniffting to update the source/server(v117) to the relevant version(v170)..?

during update, we sniff the packet we want to update, and then we change the relevant methods/handlers, which result in changes of the opcodes. After everything has done, the source updated to v170..?

fyi, i have basic app developing experience and recently i'm taking a challenge to make a ms private server. Very Appreciate your time to look at my questions :laugh: Thanks & Regards

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can't run a server of one version, and a client with another version. Things change, and therefore there has to be proper handling from each side. Moreover, the MapleStory client won't even let you in and will say the client is outdated.

If you'd like to update a server, there are a few guides (which you said you read). Everything you do in the game is sent back and forth to the server, and therefore it needs to be in the same format. So, for example, if a player attacks - the client sends a packet to the server with the appropriate data. The server reads the data, applies it wherever and returns a response to the client.

If the client version updated and it now sends extra data, the server needs to be updated as well.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can't run a server of one version, and a client with another version. Things change, and therefore there has to be proper handling from each side. Moreover, the MapleStory client won't even let you in and will say the client is outdated.

If you'd like to update a server, there are a few guides (which you said you read). Everything you do in the game is sent back and forth to the server, and therefore it needs to be in the same format. So, for example, if a player attacks - the client sends a packet to the server with the appropriate data. The server reads the data, applies it wherever and returns a response to the client.

If the client version updated and it now sends extra data, the server needs to be updated as well.
Thank you so very much :): now i'm understood..

Upvote 0
Back