Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Read First]Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Updates :11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Commonly faced problems.
Please do note, these errors are at the top of the errors that you see in your ChannelServer and/or WorldServer or LoginServer.
NOTE : If possible, please do try to avoid using launchers and launch the server files one by one.

Program to check for errors during startup
Original Link
Xerixe said:
Just figured I made something for all the people who're facing troubles starting their server.
This is only for common issues such as JCE files not placed, MySQL settings, port in used and whether or not the source (compiled jar file) in the extension folder. It also checks whether or not MySQL is running.

Note : This does not guarantee that you will not face any errors. This is only used to detect common errors / mistakes done while setting up a server.

Anyway, it's pretty self explanatory, just press Start to start the check and click Settings to modify the MySQL settings.
If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me and I'll try to add it in.

Also, it'd be great if you can suggest a name for it. I couldn't think of any / something to describe what it does.

P/S : I couldn't test the part where it checks if MySQL is running or not. Since MySQL doesn't want to stop for me. I tried stopping service via MySQL Admin / Task Manager, doesn't work. But everything else should work fine tho.

Updates :

v1.1 - It now shows your WAN IP.

v1.2 - Fixed checking whether or not MySQL is running ( Localhost only )

P/s: Attachments are reuploaded for every update.

Errors when starting server
Code:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at scripting.event.EventScriptManager.init(EventScriptManager.java:xx)
        at net.channel.ChannelServer.run(ChannelServer.java:xxx)
        at net.channel.ChannelServer.main(ChannelServer.java:xxx)

This means that you have an event script that doesn't exist or is empty and/or doesn't work. Players can still play normally though.

Solution : Either remove the script, or fix it.

Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not connect to worl
d server.

This means that either you're opening the batch files too fast or the IP settings for your login server and channel server is wrong.

Solution : Wait for 15 seconds before starting the next batch and see if the error still occurs. If it does, please check the login server as well as the channel server's configuration.

Code:
Exception in thread "pool-1-thread-1" java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Cl
butt org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter does not implement the requ
ested interface org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilter

It means you're using an outdated or incompatible version of mina-core.jar.

Solution : Replace all the mina-core.jar with the one in your source. If you have it in your java/jre/lib/ext folders, replace it there as well.
Code:
The Jurisdiction policy files are not signed by a trust signer
Solution:place them in the correct directories...
Code:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security\
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk YOURVERSION\lib
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk YOURVERSION\jre\lib\ext\
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk YOURVERSION\jre\lib\security
Follow this too...Java SE 7 use Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files 7

Java SE 6 use Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files 6

Code:
org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolDecoderException : java.lang.IllegalStateException : Ciper not initialized

It means, you did not place your JCE folders in the correct places.

Solution : Download the JCE files, through . Then copy it to :
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk<version>\jre\lib\security\
AND
C:\Program Files\Java\jre<version>\lib\security\

Code:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLNonTransientC onnectionException: Could not
create connection to database server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.

This means that your database settings is not correct.

Solution : Please check that the database exist and is using the correct port.

Code:
java.rmi.server.ExportException : 
Port already in use: 1099; nested exception

This means that the port is already in use

Solution : Close all your batch files and try again. If the problem persists, restart your computer. If the problem is still there, close all other applications.

Code:
Loading WZ file failed

Pretty much what it says. It means your WZ files are missing / invalid

Solution : Make a folder called "wz" without the " in where you start your server, then place the WZ files from your MapleStory folder or the XML WZ files into that folder.

Unregistered ID or Cannot create character or login button stuck.
Code:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown column 'xxxx' in 'field list'
or
Code:
java.sql.SQLException: Column 'xxxx' not found.

It means, that there is a missing column in one of the tables.

Solution : If you're getting "Unregistered ID", execute this query
Code:
ALTER TABLE `accounts` ADD COLUMN `xxxx` TYPE default '';

If you're unable to make a character and that error pops out, execute this :
Code:
ALTER TABLE `characters` ADD COLUMN `xxxx` TYPE default '';

You would need to change xxxx to the missing column name which is shown in the batch files.
TYPE would be either integer or text. These are the most common types, and you should try to see which one the column is.

Client closes
Code:
Error Code -2147483648
The map you were in has crashed, or you were disconnected by a malicious program (hack).
Solution: Just log back in, if it happens again, you'll have to change your map in the SQL.

Code:
Error code -2147287038 (Unknown error 0x80030002)
There's an invalid object that isn't in your WZ file.
Solution: If you're getting that error, please try to use clean WZ files, for both your server and yourself.

Code:
Error Code : 38
You have an invalid packet or opcode.
Solution : Revert what you changed, or if it's already in the source, try making a thread.

Stuck at character selection screen then brings you to the login screen.

If other people can play, but you cant, please install Microsoft Loopback Adaptor.
Windows Vista / 7 : Click here
Windows XP : Click here

Other people get "Unable to connect to game server" but I can login just fine!

This means that you have not port-forwarded properly or your windows firewall is blocking the ports

Solution : Find a proper guide to port-forward and also try disabling your firewall.

People can't get pass character selection screen but I can!
This means that your settings and/or your ports aren't forwarded. To test if your ports are forwarded, ask your friends to try this site : http://<yourip>:7575

Solution : If it pops out a download, it means your ports are forwared. Make sure the IP set in ServerConstants.java or world.properties is not 127.0.0.1 / localhost but instead, your WAN IP. If it doesn't pop out a download, it's your ports / firewall.

I compiled but there's no changes?!
This means that there's conflicting files in the java ext folders.

Solution : Navigate to your java folders. It's located in
Code:
jdk<version>\jre\lib\ext
jre<version>\lib\ext
Find all the compiled server files in there, example : MoopleDEV.jar, MapleBlade.jar, OdinMS.jar and etc. Delete all of them.
Important note :Do NOT place any of the compiled server files in these folders anymore. It is totally unnecessary as well as a waste of time.
Do not delete mina-core, mysql-connector, slf4j<something>.jar. Keep them in there.

Ports to forward
There has been many mistakes regarding the ports that should be forwarded.

Ports that should be forwarded :
Code:
7575 ~ 7594 - Yes, 7575,7576 until 7594. This is for the 20 channels.
8484 - Login Server
80 - Web server. Unless the port for your web server has been changed manually, it will be port 80.

Which VPS is the best?
You should take a look at the thread by -Daniel-. You can find it in the link below.

Click here

Changing the starting map
In MapleCharacter, saveToDB()
Find
PHP:
if (map == null) {
Under it, you will see
PHP:
ps.setInt(20, 0);
Change 0, to the mapid.

loadCharFromDB
find
PHP:
if (ret.map == null) {
under it, something like
PHP:
ret.map = mapFactory.getMap(0);
Change 0 to map.

Why mobs are not moving
You are most likely in Hide.

Solution: Look in the top right corner of your screen where your skills are. Right click the skill that looks like Dark Sight. Attack a few mobs or use !killall (if you have it) and the mobs that died will start moving again.

Java is not recognized as an internal or external command
This is probably something occured during the installation of Java

Solution : Click me

java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
This means that the client closed unexpectedly. There is several causes for this. One, the client closed via [ ALT + F4, Task Manager ] < Unsure. Client closed due to packet error, client closed due to invalid WZ file ( e.g. : non-existent hair )

Solution : Firstly, you have to figure out what the cause is. However, though this error will show and will not actually show what caused it, you can remove it by adding
Code:
if (cause.toString().contains("IOException")) return;
Below
Code:
public void exceptionCaught(IoSession session, Throwable cause) throws Exception {
in MapleServerHandler.java

That would be all the commonly faced problems / errors by most people who starts a server. Any other problems / suggestions will be added upon request or when I'm free.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do provide more information in your help thread when making one and provide screenshots of your batch files.

Also, any threads, which contains one of the above mentioned problems but didn't try any of the solutions, your thread will be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: Please READ before posting!

Any members that would like to contribute to this are more than welcome. Either post in this thread or contact one of the Moderators so we can update it. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Subscriber and Mod!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: [Read First]Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Updates : 9

2: Files

If you are looking for files like xmls, localhosts, setups, things like that, follow this link (credits to TS)

3.1: I can connect, but people over LAN can't

There are two generic fixes for this problem. First one is this:
Open Netbeans, navigate to your source/repack folder, open Source Packages, constants, and open up the file ServerConstants.java. Look for an ip or website that is located by the identifier HOST or something along those lines, and change it to your LAN IP (e.g. 192.168.1.5, or 192.168.1.105, depending on what your router says you are (and make sure your LAN is static)).

The next fix is port forwarding. Use this site to check if your ports are forwarded:
This is very network-setup-dependent, meaning depending on how your routers/gateways/switches/etc are setup. If it is Computer->router->internet, then you will have to type in your default gateway into your web browser, and edit some settings. Check the forums and/or the internet for tutorials on how to port forward. To find your default gateway, open up cmd (windows key + r then type cmd) and type ipconfig, and look for your connection, and under it, it should say default gateway.

3.2: Me and my LAN party can connect, but people over WAN can't connect
Just follow the same steps as 3.1, but instead of your LAN IP, choose your WAN IP. You can check out your WAN IP at

4: Clean+Build errors

When you Clean+Build, errors come up and deny the compiler to do it's job. So for the most part, you can see where the error is at:
\AmpereRepack\src\constants\ServerConstants.java:38
The :38 at the end of the location tells you what line the error is at. In this case the error is this:
';' expected, public static final String HOST = "My.IP.Address"
It says that ; is expected. So the line public static final String HOST = "My.IP.Address" needs to look like this:
public static final String HOST = "My.IP.Address";

So in terms of fixing compiler errors, they are for the most part easy to fix.
Credits to LatinKid for Update 9

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
[Guide] Solutions to 50% of the Help Section

Hi, my name is Cyclone999.
I've been here for a long time.

How to reduce the amount of help threads in the Help section

After reading all these help threads, I said *facepalm* Man, all these errors are soo easy to fix!

If someone on MSN asks you for a solution, please redirect them to this thread here because it will most definitely solve all their needs. This guide is absolutely fool-proof. It is noob-friendly and if you follow everything in this guide it will most definitely work.

Now, before you read this guide....
Do a couple things for me, yes?

1. If your error is connection related, check your ports.
2. Check your ports anyways
3. Double check your ports.
4. Make sure the ports for Maplestory is on.
5. Now check your ports again.

Congratulations, we have eliminated approximately 25% of the help section!

Next up.
Compile your source. Not once, not twice, but 3 TIMES.
Now do the check.

1. If your error is net/sf/.../WorldServer related, compile your source.
2. Do it again and make sure you have no errors.
2a. If you have errors...
2aa. Add the library jars.
2ab. Add random brackets around and hope it'll fix it. I would think it will.
3. Paste the jar file.
4. Compile one last time for good measure.
5. If you think it'll help, compile. If you get any message in red (even though it's not an "error") remake your project.

Another 25% of the help section removed!

I have just reduced the amount of help threads by 50%!

You guys can thank me later, k, i'm off, bye.

I'M BACK!
To fix the SQL scripts..
Usually looks something like this
Code:
ogawd help me something about rmi worldregistries and tables and has `` characters inside

To fix it, you first have to narrow down the problem.
Is it a table error? To check, find the line that says "table error" (it's usually something like cannont find blah)
To fix it, reopen your MySQL Query Browser, click "Open Script" and open your source SQLs. ALL OF EM. EVEN IF YOU'RE USING THEPACK, THAT KARMA SQL THING IS IMPORTANT.
Click the shiny green button.
YAY you re-executed!
If you still have troubles....well, then, use a different source (For example, Expedia's ElKradia source was cancelled because me and Sparrow lost the SQL :D)

If it's something else, reinstall MySQL Server 5.0 and yeah, this time don't screw up the password. Db.properties man, that's where the password stuff is stored. Don't screw this up, this is veryyy important!

And that is about it, I reduced the help threads.

But in all seriousness though.

I wrote a thread for...a development forum that is having a better development than RaGEZONE (with a friendlier community) (PM me for link) and I figure that I'm tired of going to the help threads...
I'll just post my guide here.

Here we go!

Every time I click my character, I get d/ced! Why?

Quote:Try port-forwarding your channel ports again (7576), disable your firewall, and if it doesn't work, try port forwarding 8484 and 7575.

"Unable to connect to MySQL via root@localhost"

Quote: Make sure whatever MySQL server is on, usually you will use "MySQL Server 5.0" or "Wamp Server", or in some cases, "Xampp". Make sure the service is online.

How do I make accounts?

Quote:Open MySQL, connect into it, make sure the SQL is executed. Open your schema (odinms/shootsource/moopledev/w.e), accounts table, and set a new value for accountid (a number that hasn't been used yet), account id, and for password, use HashCalc (you can find it) -> Text string in the box, then type in a password, and copy the SHA1 encryption!

Where do I put localhost.exe?

Quote:Localhost.exe is basically the file you send to all your friends. Assuming you used the default install, it will be in C:/Nexon/Maplestory(v83). Make sure it's v83, and then put it in.

Cannot access with password root@localhost

Your password is wrong. Use the one that you wrote with at MySQL Server 5.0 Setup.

Localhost.exe d/cs me!
You might have a corrupted Maplestory, try reinstalling Maplestory at a different folder (My Documents\Maplestory maybe); re-hex-edit, remove WZ edits...

If you get a -2147xxxxxxx error, chances are it will be because you used WZ edits and your files are corrupted. That's the main reason why one gets that error D:.

If you get a black screen, but nothing happens, try running the program in "Windows XP SP2" compatibility mode, run as Administrator.

If you d/c at character select, see the top of this page. If you can't log in, check for bat errors.

How do I hex-edit my client?

Install Hex Workshop v5/v6. Press Ctrl + F: Text String. Search 127.0.0.1 (unless otherwise stated by the client hoster), and type in your IP instead.

If you save, and the icon is still a mushroom, you are good! If it isn't the mushroom icon, you have screwed something up and try again.

How do I make my account a GM or others a GM?

MySQL> characters table. Scroll right until you find the gm column, and edit it. If your source's administrator level is 5, put it as 5, or 3, or whatever.

Can't get past login screen!

Check your JCE files.

I get this error when running my localhost.exe "The application has failed to start because ijil15.dll was not found..."

Put the localhost in C:/Nexon/Maplestory! Do not put it in your desktop or whatever!

Monsters don't move when I'm in a monster map D:

Leave the map into a non-mob map, and then right click the "Hide" at the top right. It's a GM skill that makes you invisible.

Epic rollback!

Make sure you don't just "X" your bat files; use !shutdown and !saveall

How do I portforward?

Open your router (cmd: ipconfig). Go into it (find your password in default passwords if you didn't change it.) Look for "Virtual Server", or something. Port forward ports 8484, 3306, 7575, 7576, 8888. For both TCP and UDP ports (some routers have a *, which signals for both.

Random bat error!

First, look for the thing that reads in ENGLISH. Normally it's before a block of errors. Don't waste your time typing java.521.xxxx.xxxx(exception).... when you can look for "unknown column `rebirths`".
When that happens, try looking for any SQLs you might have missed executing.

Field banreason doesn't have a default value.

Execute
PHP:
    ALTER TABLE `accounts` MODIFY COLUMN `banreason` TEXT NULL DEFAULT NULL;
    ALTER TABLE `accounts` MODIFY COLUMN `macs` TINYTEXT NULL DEFAULT NULL;

'Java' is not recognized as a operable program or batch file

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab
Go to "Environmental Variables"
Look at the below fieldset, System FieldSet
Find value PATH or Path, double-click on it and add the Java binary folder location at the end
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_10\bin
You may notice it says 1.6.0_10. It can be any version you want (1.6.0_500)

Connection refused to host at port 1099:

Quote:Close IE, open Task Manager and kill the processes "java.exe".

Cipher not initialized

Repaste the JCE files, you missed some.

I restarted my router, and now, my ports are forwarded, my wan ip is connected, but for some reason I can't log in (open happens after router restart!)

I lost a server because of this; your LAN IP changes every time you restart your router! Port forward your new lan IP!

THANK YOU FOR READING.
THANK ME FOR WRITING.

OBVIOUSLY MINE IS INFERIOR TO XERIXE'S.
MINE IS THE NOOB-FRIENDLY VERSION IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF HELP THREADS, NOT TO GO INDEPTH ON EVERY SINGLE BAT ERROR KNOWN TO THE MAPLESTORY COMMUNITY. EVEN THOUGH HIS IS PROBABLY BETTER THEN MINE I DON'T CARE, I HAVE NO LIFE ANYWAYS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back