Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Could I realistically host a MapleStory server 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B to be exact.

Just the server applications to host the game, not the game client itself. I want it to run 24/7 so I dont have to keep my own PC running just so a few friends can play at all times.

I want to run Gabriel's LeaderMS v62
http://forum.ragezone.com/f427/62-2-8-leaderms-final-1143969/

Will any server resources choke on the hardware limitations of the Pi? I just don't want to pay a monthly fee for a VPS just so a handful of friends at most can play on a private server.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Depends on amount of memory leaks, etc.

So are you suggesting there is a possibility of it being feasible? I just want a small box dedicated to hosting the server, plug it in and forget it so others can play as long as they want without interruption or hassling me to turn on my own PC to turn the server on. Its for a handful of friends like 5-10 and I dont want to pay for a VPS for such a small group which is why I'm looking at this as an alternative. Hope that explains things better.

Upvote 0
◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
If the emulator is written in Java, C++ or .NET Core then yes you can.

However you need to keep the PI's resources in consideration. If you run or on a Model 3 You should be fine.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
My last question for now. Would it be worth it to get a large capacity microSD like 64GB and have half of that (if not more) swappable to RAM to offset the memory leak issues that could potentially affect a server host?

Regardless I'm going to give this a try and see how this turns out.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
looking at the specs for the model 3, imo memory is the bottleneck here -- honestly i doubt you'd be able to host a server on it. consider the amount of memory used for the jvm, the game itself, the memory leaks, plus os and mysql. additionally, i'd caution against using flash memory for swap space due to wearing the flash mem out.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
looking at the specs for the model 3, imo memory is the bottleneck here -- honestly i doubt you'd be able to host a server on it. consider the amount of memory used for the jvm, the game itself, the memory leaks, plus os and mysql. additionally, i'd caution against using flash memory for swap space due to wearing the flash mem out.

What would be the next best thing. Mini ITX?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i've never attempted this, nor will i ever -- but consider clustering like 3 rpis? could have one dedicated to db, etc.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i've never attempted this, nor will i ever -- but consider clustering like 3 rpis? could have one dedicated to db, etc.

I just want one device to host the server. I can manage the Database just fine from my own personal PC which wouldn't always need to be on.

I'm gonna try to find an Android box with at least 4GB of RAM to see if it can perform the job.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I have been working on hosting using thepack v62 and have had only little progress. If anyone can help that would be great!

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
RemixDeluxe - Could I realistically host a MapleStory server 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi? - RaGEZONE Forums

RemixDeluxe - Could I realistically host a MapleStory server 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi? - RaGEZONE Forums

Got everything up and running yesterday on a headless raspberry pi 3b+ and has been stable with a peak of 50 ppl online, this is being hosted on my university network using a free VPN ZeroTier One for outside LAN connection to the server.

The RaspberryPi has been up for almost 24 hours now with an average of 30-40 players online at any given time.

Above photos are the pi utilization on the network.

Upvote 0
Back