Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Release] Ragnarok Online Alpha (Prototype) Emulator

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello Ragezone,

I'm re-releasing an old (and forgotten) emulator created by AppleGirl and Taulin Nakima for Ragnarok prototype version.

The source code, how to build it and the client can be found here:

Enjoy.

wizzardo - [Release] Ragnarok Online Alpha (Prototype) Emulator - RaGEZONE Forums

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks so much for releasing this! I have a question though, I'm not very good at this stuff.

It says to build the server you have to go to root directory and type the following commands, but nothing happens when I do so. Is it because I'm doing something wrong? I have both client and emulator.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello Ragezone,

I'm re-releasing an old (and forgotten) emulator created by AppleGirl and Taulin Nakima for Ragnarok prototype version.

The source code, how to build it and the client can be found here:

Enjoy.

wizzardo - [Release] Ragnarok Online Alpha (Prototype) Emulator - RaGEZONE Forums

Applegirl that's a name i haven't seen in like 7 years. I wonder how shes doing xD

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
So, server launches, client connects to login server, and after that says - disconnected. Also cant see verbose log. Any clues?

Fixed. Needed to setup correct ip for server in wizzard. So, it works. Just basic gameplay, NPC do not work, and so on.
But, having this to history is BRILLIANT.

Thanks for release, my inner kid is ablsolutlely happy.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
So, server launches, client connects to login server, and after that says - disconnected. Also cant see verbose log. Any clues?Fixed. Needed to setup correct ip for server in wizzard. So, it works. Just basic gameplay, NPC do not work, and so on. But, having this to history is BRILLIANT. Thanks for release, my inner kid is ablsolutlely happy.
Bumping a very old thread, but does anyone still have the AlphaRO emu and can upload it or send it to me? Thanks in advance!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Here is link for copy of server repository -
Full VM and client - link is available until 02.07.2022
password: alpha

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Server is here
and client is still here

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Yay!

Server is here
and client is still here

Thank you! The files work flawlessly (although I had a bit of trouble hexing the exe with the right IP address). Here's a couple of game-play images:
  • The Prontera Inn:
  • Chilling South of Prontera:
  • Killing Porings:

Fun to experience the alpha, even though I get to do it 20+ years later (the game was in late-beta when I got to experience it first). Thanks a lot for sharing this once again :D:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Oh, so you got running in docker? Can you share the docker file? :)
I'm rather lazy so I did not write a docker file... just grabbed an old i386 debian image that I've already use for other ye olde stuff and made things work as I went along :D:

Here's the shortest (so far) sequence of commands that'll get you compiled & running:

1. Navigate to the folder containing the server git repo and run "docker run --rm -it --platform linux/386 --entrypoint bash -p 7000:7000 -p 5121:5121 -p 6121:6121 -v $(pwd):/ro_alpha debian/eol:etch-slim" and hit return
  2. Once the docker image starts, you'll be dropped into a root shell (indicated by a "#" prompt), Now, type "cd ro_alpha" and hit return
  3. Then type "apt-get update && apt-get install nano build-essential cpio zlib1g zlib1g-dev" to install build tools and dependencies. If there are any dependency issues, make sure you resolve them (can't recall if I ran into any specifically)
  4. Then run "make" and hit return to build the server software. Run ls | grep "-server" to ensure you've all 3 server executables built.
  5. Then run "nano save/account.txt", duplicate the existing like and change "s1/p1" to "user/pass" (this are the credentials to enter at login) -- this file is sensitive to spaces/tabs so be EXTRA cautious
  6. Finally, run "./alpha-start start" to start the server and you'll see output like this, if everything went well
Code:
Alpha Starting...
            (c) 2003 Alpha Project.
            URL:http://project-yare.de/

checking...
Check done.
Looks good, have a nice Alpha!

Starting Login Server:
Login Server Started. pid: 14
Starting Char Server:
Char Server Started. pid: 17
Starting Map Server:
Map Server Started. pid: 20
The PID numbers will probably be different, but if you see these lines, you're good on the server side :thumbup1:

For the client,

1. Hex-edit the client (RagExe.exe) to change the hardcoded IP to 127.0.0.1 and save it
  2. Start the client and login with the credentials (from the "nano" step server-side)

A quick and simplified summary of what the various arguments to docker command actually do:

• "debian/eol:etch-slim" part specifies the Image to use : Debian Etch... which I know has a i386 (32bit arch) image along with a good GCC 4-ish compiler. Perfect for compiling and running ye olde code from the 00s
  • "--platform linux/386" forces docker to use a 32bit arch and not some weird multi-arch thing (you can verify this by running "file -bL /bin/sh" and confirming that the readout has "ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386" or similar)
  • "-p 7000:7000" "maps" ports from the docker image to ports on your host (local) machine, needed for the client to connect
  • "-v $(pwd):/ro_alpha" bit is a QoL thing.. you're "mapping" folders from your host (local) machine to be accessible inside the docker image with 2-way sync (changes in docker show up on local and vice-versa)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi thank you for sharing. I was able to grab the server files but the client is unavailable. Does anyone have the copy of the client? Thanks

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi thank you for sharing. I was able to grab the server files but the client is unavailable. Does anyone have the copy of the client? Thanks

This link is still working:

Code:
Downloads
    Alpha Client: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a5tadpeezm5u77e/iRO_Alpha_Client.7z

from the server repo here:

Back