Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Installing eAthena on Debian 5.0 (Lenny)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
An eAthena Linux Installation Guide - Debian
Open up terminal. For VPS/dedicated users, use or something similar and SSH to your server as root.

Preparation step:

Skip this step if you have LAMP, phpmyadmin, GCC and SVN installed on your machine.

Input this on terminal*:
Code:
aptitude install php5 phpmyadmin mysql-server mysql-client apache2 gcc svn libmysqlclient15-dev make zlib1g-dev libpcre3-dev

Making a user for eAthena:
Do not run eAthena as root! This poses security risks!0

Input this on terminal:
Code:
adduser ro
It will ask for a password and a confirmation so do those steps. It will ask for user information for 'ro'. Not filling in the information is fine. When it asks you if the information is correct, input Y. Before proceeding to the next step, make sure that you're in your ro folder by cd'ing to it. Your ro user's folder will be in /home/ so cd to that by doing the following:
Code:
cd /home/ro

Installing your eAthena:

!--- Optional ---!
Input this on terminal:
Code:
mkdir eathena
mkdir will create an eathena folder in your ro user's folder.
!--- End Optional ---!

The next part will be installing your eAthena. If you want trunk, input this:
Code:
svn co http://svn.eathena.ws/svn/ea/trunk/

For stable, input this:
Code:
svn co http://svn.eathena.ws/svn/ea/branches/stable/

SQL or TXT?:

Before your eAthena can start, you must compile it according to your preference: SQL or TXT. For SQL, input this:
Code:
./configure && make clean && make sql

For TXT, input this:
Code:
./configure && make clean && make txt

If you chose SQL, you will need to recompile the server every time you make a source edit. To recompile:
Code:
./configure && make clean && make

The databases:

Point your browser to your phpmyadmin. This would most likely be your IP/phpmyadmin. (e.g. 69.71.113.12/phpmyadmin). Once you're there, create a new database named 'ragnarok'. Then, navigate to the database and point to privileges. Add a user 'ragnarok' with password 'ragnarok' that has all privileges to database 'ragnarok'. Import your main.sql, item_db.sql, item_db2.sql, mob_db.sql and mob_db2.sql. Make a new database called 'log' and import logs.sql. Give user 'ragnarok' all privileges to database 'log'. You can configure the user and password as you wish but make sure you edit inter_athena.conf inside your /conf/ folder for it to correspond with your user's credentials!

Starting & stopping eAthena:

To start:
Code:
./athena-start start

To stop:
Code:
./athena-start stop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about its scattered organization! My first guide, so yeah. I hope you understood it and it helps you! If I missed something, do tell! I will add basic eAthena configuration later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*If you do not have aptitude, you can install it by apt-get install aptitude. You can also use apt-get if you like.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks got mine to work. was stuck in beginnning used "logs' instead of "log"

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
thank very much ... it still working and usefull to me right now (Y)

Back