Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Mental Multiplication

Reaction score
A Technique for Mental Multiplication

Standard way of multiplying numbers with more than one digit. I will describe the method only briefly, since it’s probable that everyone reading this will have seen and used it. The multiplication starts with the rightmost digit of the multiplier, which multiplies the rightmost digit of the multiplicand. The rightmost digit of the answer is written down and the rest is continued as a “carry”. Then the same digit of the multiplier is used to multiply the next digit of the multiplicand. The carry is added, the rightmost digit of the result is written down, and whatever is left over is continued as a carry for the next digit. When the rightmost digit of the multiplier has been used to multiply every digit of the multiplicand, then the same process is used for the digit next to the left in the multiplier. The results are written underneath the previous ones, except that the results are written down one digit to the left. At the end, the final result is computed by adding the columns starting at the right and moving to the left. Any carry resulting is applied to each succeeding leftmost column until all sums are complete.

It always seemed to me that this method was not just tedious but a waste of paper. It certainly ought to be possible to compute the correct answer without writing so much down, and without having to repeat simple steps over and over. So I set out to find out how to compress the steps I’ve outlined above. The method I came up with is mathematically completely equivalent to the long form of multiplication I mentioned. As a side benefit, it will work in any number base.

I have shown this method to very many people over the past, and no one has ever said “oh, this is just like the XYZ method”. In fact, everyone has told me that my method is unique. I find that very difficult to believe, considering how easy it is. If you have heard of something similar, please let me know. I am ready to hear that my technique is at least 500 years old, if not older. Let’s suppose we are multiplying 74 by 36. By inspection, we can see that the result must end in 4. This is a hint to remind us how to procede. We write down 74 and under it write 36, but with the digits reversed:

We always multiply only the digits directly above each other. This time it is 6 and 4. We write down the 4 and remember the 2 (it’s a carry). Then we shift the multiplier one space to the left:

This time we have 7 times 6 plus 4 times 3, plus the carry of 2. 42 + 12 + 2 = 56. We write down the 6 and carry the 5:

Now only the 7 and 3 are above each other. That product is 21, plus the carry of 5 is 26. So the product is 2664, because with the next step no digits would be above each other. So we are done. 74 times 36 = 2664.

All of this can be done mentally with only a little practice. It takes a good memory for numbers to hold the whole answer until the end, but that is rarely needed; you can write down the answer from right to left. After all, the answer must appear somewhere, and you can’t use less paper than you would need for the answer!

Now, let’s extend the method to multiplication using base 256 integer arithmetic. Suppose we have two four-digit numbers called abcd and wxyz. The multiplication is done exactly as mentioned previously, except that the digit written down is the result of an integer multiplication modulo 256, and the carry is whatever is left over. On a computer, this is pretty easy; the least significant byte of the integer result is written down in the result, and the other byte or bytes are the carry.

It is possible to multiply extremely large numbers using this method, to practically any number of digits in the result. A multiplication of two n-digit base 256 numbers would take 2n (one byte) integer multiplications and 2n – 1 additions to complete (plus perhaps 2n shift and AND operations to store the digits of the result).

Trust your senses
Reaction score
I don't see what this is useful for, but it'd be cool to be able to do this anyway.

Still;
AsenDURE - Mental Multiplication - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score
Heh.
Personally, I multiply large numbers mentally through a different method. I break the equation down into numerous simple equations.

42x19
(40 * 20) + (2 * 20) = 840
840 - 40 = 800
800 - 2 = 798

14 * 25
14 * 10 = 140
140 * 2 = 280
280 + (140 / 2) = 350

50 * 16
(50 * 10) + (50 * 5) + (50 * 1) = 800

I was never a math buff (there's a reason I have a calculator pinned to my taskbar), and my brain has always been a little.. funny, but I have always found this method to be a valid way for me to handle multi-digit multiplication without the need for a calculator or paper.

I doubt this method is very valid or intelligent, but it works well for me.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Why copy a post?

I'm sure this is overall the same post? And also, I am quite sure that psychological math has barely anything to do with programming at all.

Reaction score
Why copy a post?

I'm sure this is overall the same post? And also, I am quite sure that psychological math has barely anything to do with programming at all.

It totally does, alot of PHP is based on multiplaction or math.

@Minimagi

What gives you the right to spam?

Reaction score
It actually helps programming, as for a student that goes to the Informathics classes.. Math ( Didn't know a lot before the 9th grade..)
helped me a lot in understanding algorhytms and programming better >.<

It just helps you train yourself, after all Programming is Math's Sister ..

Back