Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Preventing SQL injection (mySQL)

LMC

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hello all,
Ive been working on a site recently and made up this script to backslash unwanted characters. It also then can remove the backslash. This is pritty much like mysql_escape_string but with a few added words and characters/symbols.

Add this at the top of the page:
PHP:
function escape($str) // Adds backslashes to exploitable text
    {
	  $str = strtolower($str);
      $search=array("\\","\0","\n","\r","\x1a","'",'"', ';', 'insert', 'select', 'delete', 'or');
      $replace=array("\\\\","\\0","\\n","\\r","\Z","\'",'\"', '\;', '\insert', '\select', '\delete', '\or');
      return str_replace($search,$replace,$str);
}

function remove($str) // Removes backslashes
    {
	   $str = strtolower($str);
       $search=array("\\\\","\\0","\\n","\\r","\Z","\'",'\"', '\;', '\insert', '\select', '\delete', '\or');
       $replace=array("\\","\0","\n","\r","\x1a","'",'"', ';', 'insert', 'select', 'delete', 'or');
       return str_replace($search,$replace,$str);
}

It is case sensitive, so if someone trys to get around it by typing InSERT or INserT it wont work.
You use this as follows, for inserting information in to the database:
PHP:
$var = escape($_POST['name']);

For reading information from a database:
PHP:
$var = remove($var);

Please dont flame me, im a beginner to PHP and only trying to help fellow members. Im sure theres easyer ways, if there is please tell me and I can improve on my skills.

[R8]ℓσℓ32
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nice anti-sql injection snipet codes, but there are a lot more, this is just a small example. Maybe you can add more snipet codes and make they more secure.

For example, here a very simple anti-sql injection

PHP:
function antisql($sql) {
$sql = preg_replace(sql_regcase("(select|union|0x|cast|ex ec|varchar|insert into|delete from|update account|update login|update character|ugradeid|drop table|show tables)"),"",$sql);
$sql = trim($sql);
$sql = strip_tags($sql);
$sql = addslashes($sql);
return $sql;
}

Last edited:

LMC

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Nice anti-sql injection snipet codes, but there are a lot more, this is just a small example. Maybe you can add more snipet codes and make they more secure.

For example, here a very simple anti-sql injection

PHP:
function antisql($sql) {
$sql = preg_replace(sql_regcase("(select|union|0x|cast|ex ec|varchar|insert into|delete from|update account|update login|update character|ugradeid|drop table|show tables)"),"",$sql);
$sql = trim($sql);
$sql = strip_tags($sql);
$sql = addslashes($sql);
return $sql;
}

Hey, ive never done it that way before, but thanks for telling me ;)

Mother effin' clouds
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept, you can also check out Munin IDS , a PHP-based Firewall - they have a few other useful rules.

[R8]ℓσℓ32
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I donwload it. Thanks for it. Didn't know that you can make that with php.
And the security of the firewall it's very nice

Thanks...

LMC

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Will adding brackets around a string such as "(insert)" still act as another escape method?

Last edited:
Reaction score
mysql_real_escape_string should be used because there are multibyte characters that PHP converts into text which will cause a mysql injection...

Or, to be SURE you're not getting a mysql injection, use the MySQLi(MySQL improved) extension for PHP5.

I wrote a tutorial here on it.

Also, please see the PHP Manual.

Parameterized statements are the only way which makes sense to keep from getting injections.

See this brief article, [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection]SQL injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Ian, Maybe sometime, you could help me with a web project going on...
Lol QR Reader :p

Lol yeah there are easier ways to get rid of backslashes and such, but going around the long way teaches you more stuff :D

Last edited:

LMC

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
S-P-N Thanks for the MySQLi link, I wouldnt mind trying it out just it would take some time getting used to it. IM gunna give it ago though.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
@caja
Replacing insert, select, etc by empty text will not protect anything, as there is an easy bypass

INinsertSERT

will be replaced to become

INSERT

If you use PDO or MySQLi correctly (with prepared queries) you shouldn't worry about escaping anything.

By the way, here is a function that can be useful:

PHP:
<?php
function escape_once($var) {

if(function_exists('get_magic_quotes_gpc') && @get_magic_quotes_gpc())
        $var = stripslashes($var);

if(@mysql_ping())
        return mysql_real_escape_string($var);
    elseif(@pg_ping())
        return pg_escape_string($var);
    else
        return addslashes($var);

}
?>

It prevents annoying over-escaping (so you don't end up with \' in your DB)

Last edited:

LMC

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
do this work for mssql?

I think you would need to change
PHP:
mysql_real_escape_string
to
PHP:
mssql_real_escape_string

I suggest you all follow s-p-n' advice. Mysqli is actually easy to use once you get the hang of it, yea it takes longer to wirte out but its got a big speed increase and you know you aint gunna get any injections, AT ALL. :thumbup1:

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
mssql_real_escape_string doesn't exist. You should use PDO and prepared statements (also for mysql though mysql_real_escape_string works nicely indeed):

You can use BindParam to even go further and tell which type is the variable.

Other scripts are perhaps useful to detect and log someone trying to hack you though real protection is somehow more useful ;)

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you are serious about coding and want to be productive you should rely on a of your choice.

All of them have SQL injection prevention built-in.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Welcome.

I might add that the use of an ORM will be weighting heavier at runtime and it definitely will take some longer before you get it working and will be productive.

But this is a sacrifice you will want to make since the possible benefits outweight the initial disadvantage.

Longterm benefits include separation of logic and CRUD, eased maintainability and, if the chosen ORM is decent, upwards scalability and extensibility.

One example that comes to my mind is and for the .NET platform. Hibernate is out for ~10 years, is heavily tested and enterprise-ready. NHibernate is a port of Hibernate and (sadly) a tad behind the development of Hibernate, but as mighty.

Both offer excellent SQL-generation and runtime, which will weight lighter on the SQL database compared to 99% of manually written SQL.

The best thing about (N)Hibernate is the possibility to load modules that do fancy stuff. For example there is a module that stores frequently accessed data in a intstance which will further reduce load on the SQL server and speed up your application.

(N)Hibernate supports a variety of RDBMS' and dialects.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

I might add that if you want to stick to or are stuck with PHP you might want to "harden" your installation with .

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
In 99% of time PDO or Mysqli prepared statements would be enough ;)

LMC

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
In 99% of time PDO or Mysqli prepared statements would be enough ;)

Thats what im currently getting used to at the moment :). I wrote this thread before I found out about it. Thanks for the post anyway :):thumbup1:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't actually see any point in escaping MySQL keywords, and it isn't as simple as just putting a backslash before an apostrophe (ie. add_slashes will still allow some forms of SQL injection due to multi-byte characters).

mysql_real_escape_string() is the only reliable way to prevent SQL injection (other than using prepared statements).

Back