Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Mangos How does one set up a TrinityCore 6.x WoW Server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls,

I was just wondering on how i would go about setting up my own TrinityCore WoW server to mess around in for awhile (hosted on localhost/single player).

i was aiming for the latest version on their github which is their 6.x branch and was wondering if there was any up-to date tutorials or tips?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Trinity has their own wiki that details the installation process. It is updated every time a new issues arises and is the most up to date instructions you can find.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Trinity has their own wiki that details the installation process. It is updated every time a new issues arises and is the most up to date instructions you can find.

Yea just found out i hate cmake... its so totally blind -_-

CMake Error at cmake/macros/ConfigureBoost.cmake:17 (message):
No BOOST_ROOT environment variable could be found! Please make sure it is
set and the points to your Boost installation.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:63 (include)

uggh.... fixed one error and gets another -_-

Code:
Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec76233647.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->

(ClCompile target) -> 

cl : Command line warning D9002: ignoring unknown option '-std=c++11' [C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec76233647.vcxproj]

"C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec76233647.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->

(ClCompile target) -> 

C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\src.cxx(2): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/filesystem/path.hpp': No such file or directory [C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec76233647.vcxproj]

1 Warning(s)

1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:01.48

Source file was:

[URL="https://forum.ragezone.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=include"]#include[/URL]  <boost/filesystem/path.hpp>
  [URL="https://forum.ragezone.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=include"]#include[/URL]  <boost/filesystem/operations.hpp>
  int main() { boost::filesystem::copy_file(boost::filesystem::path(), boost::filesystem::path()); }

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yea just found out i hate cmake... its so totally blind -_-

CMake Error at cmake/macros/ConfigureBoost.cmake:17 (message):
No BOOST_ROOT environment variable could be found! Please make sure it is
set and the points to your Boost installation.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:63 (include)

uggh.... fixed one error and gets another -_-

Code:
Build FAILED.

(ClCompile target) -> 

cl : Command line warning D9002: ignoring unknown option '-std=c++11' [C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec76233647.vcxproj]

(ClCompile target) -> 

C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\src.cxx(2): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/filesystem/path.hpp': No such file or directory [C:\Users\Abstergo_User\Desktop\Server Hosting\World of Warcraft Source (TrinityCore Based)\Build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec76233647.vcxproj]

1 Warning(s)

1 Error(s)

Source file was:

[URL="https://forum.ragezone.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=include"]#include[/URL]  <boost/filesystem/path.hpp>
  [URL="https://forum.ragezone.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=include"]#include[/URL]  <boost/filesystem/operations.hpp>
  int main() { boost::filesystem::copy_file(boost::filesystem::path(), boost::filesystem::path()); }

Their wiki is fully documented in regards to setup. Make sure you're following the steps exactly and you wont get issues. The boost error is from not setting the boost PATH in your environment PATH settings.

I can't comment on building the 6.x branch, however it is currently not playable at all. It is still in very early development and even most of the basic features are not working. I believe they're currently having connectivity issues with the latest client as well. I personally wish they went to MoP instead of WoD, but I'd guess they'd prefer to redesign the entire game systems than to progress up to cata/mop.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Their wiki is fully documented in regards to setup. Make sure you're following the steps exactly and you wont get issues. The boost error is from not setting the boost PATH in your environment PATH settings.

I can't comment on building the 6.x branch, however it is currently not playable at all. It is still in very early development and even most of the basic features are not working. I believe they're currently having connectivity issues with the latest client as well. I personally wish they went to MoP instead of WoD, but I'd guess they'd prefer to redesign the entire game systems than to progress up to cata/mop.

well based on what you said ive changed to using a WoW repack (single player project v3) and am trying to find a client (that doesnt stream and is small/compressed) for 3.3.5a

Reaction score
well based on what you said ive changed to using a WoW repack (single player project v3) and am trying to find a client (that doesnt stream and is small/compressed) for 3.3.5a

Unfortunately one doesn't exist. The best is the latest official 3.3.5a client torrents, of which the best WotLK torrent is here:

Why not compile trinity for 3.3.5a? They have the absolute best DB + stable source for WotLK IMO.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Unfortunately one doesn't exist. The best is the latest official 3.3.5a client torrents, of which the best WotLK torrent is here:

Why not compile trinity for 3.3.5a? They have the absolute best DB + stable source for WotLK IMO.

because it wont compile so i'm cheating with a repack also im surprised noone has just archived there WotLK client because i have horrible internet speed/data cap and cant just go out and download 15GB~ so it would be great if someone did somewhere

Last edited:
Reaction score
because it wont compile so i'm cheating with a repack also im surprised noone has just archived there WotLK client because i have horrible internet speed/data cap and cant just go out and download 15GB~ so it would be great if someone did somewhere

What issues are you having compiling the 3.3.5a branch? I am currently working on a server using Trinity and had no issues getting everything compiling.

Even compressed, the client would be ~13gb. The client data files do not compress well. Unfortunately you're stuck with the ~16gb torrents.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What issues are you having compiling the 3.3.5a branch? I am currently working on a server using Trinity and had no issues getting everything compiling.

Even compressed, the client would be ~13gb. The client data files do not compress well. Unfortunately you're stuck with the ~16gb torrents.

Im getting this

Code:
Build FAILED.

(ClCompile target) -> 

(ClCompile target) -> 

1 Warning(s)

1 Error(s)

Source file was:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Are you sure this is the 3.3.5a source? There are two branches with different builds. The 6.x branch often goes broken for days without being able to compile due to how many systems are partially written.

yea I've tried both, but i might stick with SSP due to playing with up-to 500 bots which is great also found a direct download for WoW (Still 16GB but no need for seeders/seeding for it to download)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Most people tend to get faster speeds from torrents. Not sure why you're so against them. :p

yea torrents tend to give me less then 100kb/s speed while i get 250~500kb/s from just downloading in my broswer, its not that im against torrents its just this way is faster for me.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Weird. Your modem must throttle concurrent connections or something. Torrents by design give the best download speeds.

while i love the design of torrent as a easy way to download and share files, its not really a usable option for me due to needing a high amount of seeders to be able to download anything (at which i'm getting around 100KB/s) while in a browser or download manager i'm able to download it regardless.

My speeds might be due to me living far away from any nearby towns/cities forcing me to get wireless internet instead of Broadband or anything neat and fast like that.

Reaction score
while i love the design of torrent as a easy way to download and share files, its not really a usable option for me due to needing a high amount of seeders to be able to download anything (at which i'm getting around 100KB/s) while in a browser or download manager i'm able to download it regardless.

My speeds might be due to me living far away from any nearby towns/cities forcing me to get wireless internet instead of Broadband or anything neat and fast like that.

You should really at least try the Warmane download. I always get max speeds with them as they are one of the most popular servers. You only need ~20 seeds to hit max speed depending on their upload combined with peers. Their torrent has over 200 seeds last I checked.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You should really at least try the Warmane download. I always get max speeds with them as they are one of the most popular servers. You only need ~20 seeds to hit max speed depending on their upload combined with peers. Their torrent has over 200 seeds last I checked.

i did, i was downloading metadata for awhile then gave up, but i can try again

Back