Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to transfer characters from old server to new server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I wanted to transfer characters from my old 5.8 server setup to a new more updated 5.8 server setup. I think this same process will kind of work when going from a lower patch/server revision and upwards. If you want to downgrade though, I think that will be harder because new items might get added as the revisions go up, so keep that in mind that missing item/gear ID's may cause errors and crashes upon login or character loading.

The biggest clue to what I needed to do was in the Database command prompt once I try to log in. If you get an error, chances are the error is posted in the log. Be sure to read it slowly because it usually gives clues, such as if an item ID is missing, or if a value references to something else that's not creating (such as moving a 6.2 character to a 5.8 server for example).

Anyways, this is what I did. I went into the database of my old server using Navicat and I dumped "Structure & Data" from the "al_server_gs" database and the "al_server_ls" database. Make a backup of this and keep it safe.

Then, I closed down the old server and disconnected it from the MySQL database, and then loaded up my new server. In there I made sure that I could create a brand NEW account, create a NEW character, and also load it into the world. Make sure to verify your new server can successfully create and play new level 1 accounts first!

Once that is done, go ahead and close your client. Go into Navicat for your new server's database, make sure that the "al_server_gs" database and the "al_server_ls" database have been created and you see the Tables inside each database (this should be good assuming you logged into a new account and character).

For moving from same revision server to another same revision server, simply execute the "al_server_gs" and the "al_server_ls" files you made a backup of, into each respective new database. In other words, right click on "al_server_gs", hit Execute, and execute the "al_server_gs.sql" file you made a backup of and overwrite everything. Do the same for "al_server_ls".

I literally tried to log into my old character with same login ID and password and it worked, then loaded up the character just fine. If you get any errors at all inside your client, check the database CMD prompt for any errors. Check the "Log" folder inside the "AL-Game" folder and open "Error.txt" for easier viewing.

Once you verify everything is good, I highly suggest making a database backup. Simply dump the Structure & Data once more on your new server, and save the two .sql files you get from that.

If you want to go to another server revision (which I have NOT tried myself), I'm guessing that the process is exactly the same, however there's a larger chance for database errors. Remember that downgrading server's means downgrading items, and if your server cannot load a new item on your character, it will not load into the world.

I recommend either manually editing the Tables in the new server's gameserver and login server, or perhaps deleting all the items/gear on your character and bags, and re-adding it once you log into your new server. Again I have NOT tested this method myself, I have no idea if you can transfer over a character with a server downgrade. Be sure to take screenshots of everything and write down any item or gear ID's you have.

Good luck! I'm just a scrub learning something new every day. I will not be monitoring this thread, I'm just trying to pass down learned knowledge and hopefully this can help someone in the future.

Last edited:

TNT

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can’t normally execute a older version sql on to a new server you have to do a data transfer between them with a script

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too, that even though I'm going from 5.8 to another 5.8 server, simply executing the old sql files isn't enough. Could you point me in the direction so I can learn how to script a data transfer please?

Upvote 0

TNT

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if The server before was NA EU naming scheme is different for stuff biggest thing u noticed in your error is that exact wrapped _count

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How can I check what the old server was set to? Or what data can I change to make it work?

Upvote 0

TNT

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
based on the error your inventory sql has a extra part to it, i would open both with notepad++ or w.e you use to edit and compare them

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well I tried to execute the old inventory sql file into the new database, and it added all the inventory. I got the error, so I tried just deleting all the data inside the inventory sql and it still wouldn't load. I can't figure out what to do with the part that says "~[na:na]" like you were saying, the naming scheme might be off. It's weird though, on my old 5.8, it was set to EU country code and with my client it's EU as well. On this new server, I only set it up as EU to run with the client. So I'm not sure why it would give off that NA error.Is there a specific file I need to edit?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It should be 5.8. I have characters on my old 5.8 server that I want to move to the new 5.8 server.

Is there a way I can double check a file that tells me the version?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I updated the main post after receiving advice from various community members that helped me finally figure out how to do this.

Upvote 0
Back