Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Brand New Gameplay Style Concept

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: [Game Design] Brand New Gameplay Style

You shall not be let down :) We are kinda working together. While he tries to realize it on Odin Files, I am working on something similiar with HK Files.
And we're helping out eachother :)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

that's nice to hear I am a sucker for HK files sad there's not many around nor people that want to play them. Only complainant i've seen from them were they cant stack or no stones.... or ya... personaly i like have no stones and just pots it makes cleric be way more needed and useful

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

The theory for the server is nearly done, next will be bug fixing and actually creating everything.
If it goes as well as I hope, it's going to be a server never seen before :p
Still missing lots of knowledge tho.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

There's going to be a series explaining some of these game mechanics. This just explains what I've done with archers. This was a challenge because OnsOn Soft really messed them up. I had to give them a role in the party as a damage dealer and make them dangerous in pvp.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

So I talked a lot about the classes and redesigning their gameplay. I haven't talked about the bosses. So obviously combat revolves around evasion and punishing you for not evading. In my studies I've noticed you really need about 1.1 seconds to see an attack and actually avoid it if the only give away that the attack is coming is that skill's animation.

spectra51 - Brand New Gameplay Style Concept - RaGEZONE Forums

So this means a lot of boss skills about about 1100-1500 hit time which is fine, right. But I wanted to create a boss with an instant kill attack. . . because why not. So instantly dying is a pretty big punishment I shouldn't expect you to dodge that in 0.9s, but then I would just end up giving this boss a long cast time, and then you just avoid it like every other attack.

So I decided to do something more interesting, skill combos. You know this boss is going to use "Skill03" because he used "Skill01" then "Skill02" and every time he does that, he uses "Skill03". So now you can reasonably try to avoid skill03 and I won't have to make the boss so slow and monotonous. Just like combos in any fighting game you imagine he can't use skill03 until he uses skill01 and skill02.

spectra51 - Brand New Gameplay Style Concept - RaGEZONE Forums

the swing action for his skill is the laughing animation. :thumbup1:

This sparked the decision to make more complex boss AI, and more complex skills. You could give the boss countdown (HPLow) skills that completely change combo's. How does the boss react knowing he's losing the battle, will he start to play more passively (healing) or more aggressively (berserk mode)? And wouldn't the boss know that if he does a powerful AOE attack you might dodge away from it, so then use a ranged attack next? And maybe a boss knows when he's created an opening so he'll use something like damage reflect to stop attacks. You have to give bosses skills that allow them to approach different situations, just like how you give players skills to approach different situations.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

I love the idea of this, this is what I also feel Fiesta PS should go toward but sadly people just keep remaking the same thing and try to balance gear but the bases is still broke ;c

Reason why I love Tera (the game not the PS server) is because that game you could dodge and avoid damage and you're suppose to. I love to talk to you more about this if you have time.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Is this something you are seriously considering of doing? So to speak, solve fiesta bugs? I would like to be a part of admins for a PS but i lack mostly experience in the admin tile.

Back