Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

SHN Editor

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Re: [Release] SHN Editor Release

I never said we needed one, you wanted to build one so I was giving all the info I had on the subject. If you were to make a new tool you would understand the way it works better and the knowledge is priceless. Also, you can make it in a way you understand and be able to edit the way things work. This tool that I use works well and I can basically make a full map but the only thing that is a pain is adding the items on the shmd. Now a tool to help on that would be good or a tutorial on how it is done the way they do it would be great. shdb are basically ground walking limits on the 2d plane and is a pain to make but not to bad with the shbd tool.
Not many people ever try to make a map or edit them. I have only seen a couple attempts.

Reaction score

Lugapha I've tried modifying maps before. I actually made a semi custom map. The only issue I think there is at the moment is that the SHBD tool is not very good. I've no idea how it works but when I tried using it to modify an SHBD and when I got in game, it seemed like that it was massive pixels. And I couldn't achieve any proper circles. I may have just been using it wrong though. As for SHMD I am not sure what sort of tool could be made to make life easier, because if you were to see it in 3D you'd have to load the HTD and all of the nifs. I think that's just too much work, at least for me anyway.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

ive noticed that the SHBD tool works alright. its a pain for sure, easiest thing to do is copy and paste shapes from move-able areas. im just having issues with the cameras.
ie: i removed a building from a town, made it able to be walked through, removed the part of the nif, but when i walk through the camera acts like the building is still there.

an all in one tool would be great haha! but getting there sounds like an extremely difficult process. i know that more games use .nifs, their map files might have different names, but maybe one those tools might work. like skyrim, or similar type

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Reaction score

If there are any issues with the new SHN Editor please let me know so that I can fix them, also If you have ideas for new features don't hesitate to let me know as well.

Some people have expressed their willingness to donate to support me for creating tools, if you want to do so, contact me for more info. :):

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

how bout an item adding tool? cuz im lazy and hate typing all that.
say:
pop up with all the fields required in all shns, and would add a row into all the shns simultaneously.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Row Tally Feature is ruining the files. If you tallied the file, u simply crash on the map loading.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Row Tally Feature is ruining the files. If you tallied the file, u simply crash on the map loading.

If you exactly know what you do and how "the files" work, you agree with me saying that your post could be complete shenanigans.

If you use the row tally function for MapInfo.shn, you cannot use it for MapViewInfo.shn the same way,
except the case the content of both files are exactly ordered the same way!
You have to make sure that each map on both files got the same ID compared to MapName.

Think about it and you should be able to figure out, how and when the tally function can be really usefull.

So my statement is, its not the tool what is ruining the files, its the man who is using it without brain. ;)

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

If you exactly know what you do and how "the files" work, you agree with me saying that your post could be complete shenanigans.

If you use the row tally function for MapInfo.shn, you cannot use it for MapViewInfo.shn the same way,
except the case the content of both files are exactly ordered the same way!
You have to make sure that each map on both files got the same ID compared to MapName.

Think about it and you should be able to figure out, how and when the tally function can be really usefull.

So my statement is, its not the tool what is ruining the files, its the man who is using it without brain. ;)

Okay go play with the files before u talk about me.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

I spent 4 intense years on that files, there is nothing i have to "play" with anymore. ;)
If you wish, upload your corrupt MapInfo.shn and MapViewInfo.shn and i correct it for you
and tell you whats wrong.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Actually bro, they're right, it's good for something like ChargedEffect, GradeItemOption (I believe?), Riding, and well, anything that doesn't have an ID connection with anything else, such as monsters, NPC's, etc the ID's are used for questdata, so that would change a lot if you're changing all the ID's and a 99.99999% chance to cause problems. As to what's happening with your maps, he is right, if you look at MapViewInfo you will notice there are likely more rows than MapInfo, meaning your ID's no longer match after using Row Tally, because it numbers the rows based on how many rows there are, starting at 0. Don't listen to these guys who are just making you look dumb, you gotta get there somehow right?

Another case Row Tally should never be used in, is MobWeapon, in this file, many ID's are identical because they are skills and basic attacks of mobs, and almost all of them have more than 1 skill or basic attack, if you use row tally, the server no longer knows which mobs they belong to because the ID's are not identical for a specific mob and its skills, instead it'll be a clusterfuck of I can't even explain. Be careful and make sure you understand how the files interact with each other before attempting to make permanent changes.

Anyway I am only trying to help as I was in your situation at one point.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

...Be careful and make sure you understand how the files interact with each other before attempting to make permanent changes. ...

That's what i was trying to say.
Using row tally function on all shn's is like deleting your Windows folder to get free space.:rolleyes:

Master Summoner
Reaction score

That is why I asked for auto increment. I have yet to see it added to the shn editor. Tally does not work on most shns, but I just get told I am nuts or whatever. I do not even use this shn editor because, it is no use using something that is no better than the old shn editors. Sorry Farbod, but it is true. When we get auto increment I will consider using it. Till then I just stick with v3d.

Reaction score

That is why I asked for auto increment. I have yet to see it added to the shn editor. Tally does not work on most shns, but I just get told I am nuts or whatever. I do not even use this shn editor because, it is no use using something that is no better than the old shn editors. Sorry Farbod, but it is true. When we get auto increment I will consider using it. Till then I just stick with v3d.

I don't plan to make many more updates for the SHN Editor released here, so don't expect anything. If you think the latest version of the SHN released on this topic is the same as the old V3 one, then you are very mistaken, just look at the update log. If you rather use the old version because of one feature and miss out on so many other benefits, then feel free, as that's up to you. Also the tally feature works as it was intended to be made, it's just that some people can't or don't know how to use or make effective uses of the tools provided. The feature you are requesting requires to resort the data which is more difficult than it may seem.

Just to name a few features:
- Copying and pasting from Excel
- Modified cell colouring
- Replace function
- Improved loading times and efficiency
- Added compatibility support for new SHN files (specifically on HK and official game to date)
- The many bug fixes, error handling and general improvements to the old code.
- Encoding changer
- The ability to resize the main window and search window.
- Improved handling of copying and pasting.

That's just from the top of my mind and I barely use the tool myself, if I did I'm sure I could find more uses and improvements which make life easier.

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score

Farbod, Your obviously not understanding what we want. We want a tool added that will renumber any column at the click of the mouse. It is that simple. Nothing major nothing difficult. I have been requesting this from you for a little over a year. Has yet to be seen. The tool should work like this:

You edit all inx numbers to 0 with the column editor.
Then open the new lovely auto increment tool and click it.
It numbers them from 0 to how ever many lines there are.
click save.
and done.
This tool is useful for when you are adding bulk amounts of items. You can copy them into a blank shn, edit the inx number to 1 number higher than the last row in your shn, and presto you don't have to sit there and renumber 500 rows by hand. Some of us are adding thousands of rows at once. Tally does not work on items mobs maps or skills.

I had a shn editor that was given to me that could do this exact thing. It was buggy, but it did what I needed it to do. I do not have this editor anymore. I know it can be done very easily. I have seen it with my own eyes

Last edited:
Back