Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Ghost subscription notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
For over a month now, I have some strange "ghost" subscription notifications. Randomly when browsing on RaGEZONE I see one or more notifications on the top with a few new subscribed threads updates.
Then I click on them but all the threads are read already (even though it still shows the 2 new threads notification on top). When I leave the subscription page, suddenly these notifications disappear without me reading any of them.

I tried to search for that bug because I vaguely remembered someone mentioning it in the past but wasn't successful.

I also recorded a video and converted it into a .gif that shows the situation. But as the attachment system makes my .gif a .jpg and I didn't find a hoster that allows direct embedding (fml) I have to send you to imgur's site if you want to see it:

I'm really wondering what's causing this and if it could be fixed.

Reaction score
I know this sounds silly, but have you tried clearing cache?
If you have then I unfortunately have no solution :p

Pretty sure this server sided. There might be some weird caching issue going on?

Maybe there is a bug that if a subbed thread is moved to a restricted area which you cannot view its invisible?

Staff member
Reaction score
Had this about 3 times in total. The only way I got it fixed is by removing all the subscriptions or some topics that caused the bug. It didn't happen for long time though but surely did before.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
It's indeed likely that these are threads that I replied to and then moved to another section / deleted / closed while they were still having unread replies. I don't think vB stores thread notifications in client sided cache as well, however I did a clean and even tried it with another browser. I've got 2 thread notifications stuck and I can't find out which ones are bugged because they're all read. It was just one bugged notification some time ago but now I'm on two and I'm worrying it will get worse.

Guess I'll have to do what Kimberly said and remove all my subs and keep manual track of new replies until this gets miraculously fixed.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
Future i had this many times. MentaL said that is something related to the cache/cookie. I created a thread some months ago and was closed..
This bug it's annoying me...
But try clear cache!!!
:D

Interesting as I didn't find anything when searching for it. Can you link me the thread?
Anyw.

I don't think vB stores thread notifications in client sided cache as well, however I did a clean and even tried it with another browser. I've got 2 thread notifications stuck and I can't find out which ones are bugged because they're all read

That clean didn't help.

Reaction score
Interesting as I didn't find anything when searching for it. Can you link me the thread?
Anyw.

That clean didn't help.

That's weird, did you cleaned cookies and cache? I think it's something related to cookies.. Idk. Maybe vBulletin uses the Cookies to store a lot of different type of data.

I didn't created the thread only replied in the thread. I didn't found also.
But vBulletin isn't a good Forum CMS... (In terms of backend)..
RaGEZONE is experiencing some bugs...

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
.... both of their cache was cleaned. Also cache doesn't go across browsers. I was trying it with Firefox and I have the same issues. This is server sided miscalculation of the notifications.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
with 572 subscribed threads and having one of these ghosts for a month, I will rather delete all subscriptions though xD

Also, it might be possible that the posts I got notifications from are in the Dump right now and had an unread reply before they got there. I believe this is the most likely case.

And yeah, agreed on the vB part...

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Happening as well on Tapatalk...i thought it was my mobile that got some sort of 'lag' when connecting...but happening quite a lot here...3 or 4 threads a day get bugged like this on tapatalk a day on my end....hopefully vB team or MentaL can fix this asap....its annoying as hell.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Sadly yes; but it's still used by biggest forums (i.e. RZ itself) due to its ¿popularity, stability & speed?....imho it would be time for RZ to switch to a newer forum platform....but thats imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back