Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MemberRank
    Dec 2004 Join Date
    UtahLocation
    45Posts

Re: RageZone Private Servers

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Dawson, you could always force a contract on me. Mwuahahaha, but alas I understand your concerns. The problem is I don't know what games our popular these days. Otherwise I would do it myself, and just have fun with it. I think that's the biggest contributor to failed servers. "I'm bored, it's not fun any more."

EDIT: Mental, you RUN or RAN? cause I dont see it!

True MemberRank
    Dec 2004 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    276Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MentaL View Post
    I run Legend of Mir for years, aside from that its too time consuming.
    And I still miss the first Mir2 server you ran :( 32k xp from WT's in MC!

GammaRank
    Apr 2007 Join Date
    New ZealandLocation
    3,372Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    All you really need is to host them 24/7 on a vps/dedi from Fran. Then get some dedicated staff to keep it safe. It's just like mods, you pick the best ones that you think will do the job right and they keep the sections neat and safe.
    Except Frantech are extremely unreliable and slow, lmao
    Jonteh
    Habbo Retro Developer

HabboFiles | Zap Hotel

GammaRank
    Nov 2009 Join Date
    2,957Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jontycat View Post
    I beg to differ, they're one of the best hosts I've had.

MemberRank
    Dec 2004 Join Date
    UtahLocation
    45Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jontycat View Post

You must be... CANADIAN!~

They always have slow interwebs.

Rackspace vs Frantech... Thoughts?

Administrator  Rank
    Dec 2000 Join Date
    32,919Posts

RZ has been on Frantech for 2 years. I cant complain really. Only thing I would change atm is the mysql server other than that the vps's are fast, cheap and up 99% of the time.
    RaGEZONE Recommends

MemberRank
    Dec 2004 Join Date
    UtahLocation
    45Posts

So, have all the RZ Private servers been Frantech?

SupervisorRank
    May 2006 Join Date
    AZ, USALocation
    3,484Posts

No, Toriad. The individuals who ran servers (TheAJ for RS, IRuleMU for mu, the habbotard for habbo, etc) each sought their own hosting. Like the case of the RuneScape server, the development team fluxuated and diminished for various reasons (I was on that team for a short period of time). Due to a limiting source, the project leader started writing a brand new framework from scratch. He's still writing that framework. Interest slowly diminished from the old server as the new one was being pumped out at 150% capacity, we had several hardware issues that lost our database, lack of a backup, and the server was put down indefinitely.

Some individuals who host servers are competent enough, some aren't. The biggest factor in it is the fact that hardware costs are the big thing, and, in order to save some money, hosting is skimped on leading to stability problems, and they might not have a source ready. Oh, and the big thing. Server hosters generally do most of the work themselves. The additions and the mod team can't do much at all compared to the person who is holding the project off the ground.

Like goku, just Sayian.
    I don't even know what I'm doing anymore

MemberRank
    Dec 2004 Join Date
    UtahLocation
    45Posts

So let me make sure I got that correctly.

In the past any kind of hosting has been sought for the RZ Private servers not just Frantech.

Some of the issues the private servers witnessed was.

Lack of Money = Bad Hosting = Bad Stability

If I wanted to host a Private Server I should expect my primary cost to be the hardware.

Losing interest in what your hosting = the death of it.

and if I planned on doing a RZ private server, I'd be doing 90% of the work regardless who else is on the team.

Does that about sum it up?

InactiveRank
    May 2011 Join Date
    CanadaLocation
    54Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSnyper View Post
    No, Toriad. The individuals who ran servers (TheAJ for RS, IRuleMU for mu, the habbotard for habbo, etc) each sought their own hosting. Like the case of the RuneScape server, the development team fluxuated and diminished for various reasons (I was on that team for a short period of time). Due to a limiting source, the project leader started writing a brand new framework from scratch. He's still writing that framework. Interest slowly diminished from the old server as the new one was being pumped out at 150% capacity, we had several hardware issues that lost our database, lack of a backup, and the server was put down indefinitely.

Some individuals who host servers are competent enough, some aren't. The biggest factor in it is the fact that hardware costs are the big thing, and, in order to save some money, hosting is skimped on leading to stability problems, and they might not have a source ready. Oh, and the big thing. Server hosters generally do most of the work themselves. The additions and the mod team can't do much at all compared to the person who is holding the project off the ground.

Like goku, just Sayian.
    Disappointing. How did I deserve the name "habbotard". Provide a screenshot and an explanation to justify it if you don't mind. You can PM MentaL and ask him to help you find an adequate screenshot.

OT:

They're all gone because of poor management, choosing the wrong developers who end up taking the server files to make their own or both. It's a sad world .

(I personally had no problem with my management, I loved Sean, Donkjam and Kaylee - it was my developer that back stabbed me which resulted in the server going bye bye).

Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2007 Join Date
    EuropeLocation
    2,728Posts

as former Ragezone Ran Online server owner, I must say that RageZone's Ran server did not end because of money or stability issues, but because of lack of population, it reached a peak of 600 player Online at same time then gradually throughout a year went down to under 20 player online per day which made the server cost inefficient, and after a few months I decided to stop losing money and closed it
    Last edited by Jolin88; 11-06-11 at 12:30 AM.

MemberRank
    Dec 2004 Join Date
    UtahLocation
    45Posts

No offense to our Habbo man, but its your job as the big boss to make sure no one does any stabbing, and if you see it about to happen to someone, you make sure it does as little damage as possible.

Although I would be interested to hear what he did, if for no other reason it would help me learn more about things to watch out for in the case I did decide to persue this idea. A Post Mortem of your server if you will..

As for the Ran Man! (that is your new name) I can understand not wanting to pay for a server when you started with 600 active subs, but 20 average online isn't that bad for a asian based mmo(thats what I think it is based on my 4 seconds of looking at it).

PS. Any of the hosts that would be willing to share with me a post mortem of their server it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Toriad; 11-06-11 at 07:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Advertisement