The OmegaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    8,850Posts

Re: Search bug

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Quote Originally Posted by ChewBecca View Post
    And what's to say I didn't?
    Your moderator privileges let you view more posts, I assume.

If you want to reproduce this bug try creating a blank account.

EDIT: No not an expert, just my observations.
    Last edited by The General; 16-10-15 at 06:26 PM.
    If you are using Arcturus, contact me
    Discord: TheGeneral#0063

SubscriberRank
    May 2012 Join Date
    The WastelandLocation
    1,369Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Your moderator privileges let you view more posts, I assume.

If you want to reproduce this bug try creating a blank account.

EDIT: No not an expert, just my observations.
    Found the issue:
    1. You can see the initial search shows 142 results, and then when I go to page 2, it searches again to show that there are only 71 results.
    2a. Now, my conclusion is either the results are somehow being cut in half, (71 * 2 = 142).
    - OR -
    2b. The results are only showing threads that have not been deleted, removed, etc.

Whatever the case may be, somebody needs to fix their algorithm.

Edit:
    Upon further review, I change my mind. I believe 2b is the issue. I now have 72 threads, but it shows 143 results. Clearly, the query is asking for all threads and most users do not have the permissions to view the deleted threads, for obvious reasons. The easiest way to test this theory is simple.

For example, if my account had permissions (not asking for them, just saying hypothetically) to delete my own threads, I could delete one of my threads which in theory would not change the initial search result of 142, but it would show 70 results when I go to page 2.

@MentaL @ChewBecca
    Last edited by Wreckless; 19-10-15 at 08:00 PM.
    Not all fuckboys are heartless, some are just heartbroken.

True MemberRank
    Aug 2007 Join Date
    Prestwich, UnitLocation
    1,108Posts

A simple query edit would fix this :-/
    And also explains why supers an some mods dont have this problem (they can view hidden posts)

MentaL has been tagged 3 times now in this thread.. still no response

Hit my "Like" if you find my post helpful :-)

SubscriberRank
    May 2012 Join Date
    The WastelandLocation
    1,369Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToXiC L33T View Post
    And also explains why supers an some mods dont have this problem (they can view hidden posts)

No need to bust @MentaL 's balls about it though, he gets to it when he gets to it. You have to understand that he probably did not even see what the bug was until I made the GIF to show it was a legitimate bug and not some temporary issue that solved itself. It's not really emergency and accounts aren't at risk so... yeah. Honestly, all your posts should be there unless they've been hidden or deleted. So, even if he does fix it, it's not like the posts that you don't see are magically going to appear. A lot of my posts are hidden because I no longer have access to the sections. If anything it's either vBulletin's issue, or the forum just needs maintenance done such as rebuilding the search index.
    Not all fuckboys are heartless, some are just heartbroken.

Administrator  Rank
    Dec 2000 Join Date
    32,919Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToXiC L33T View Post

out of my hands at the moment everything is ran through sphinx engine and i'm ill so it's not a priority atm.
    RaGEZONE Recommends

LegendRank
    Oct 2005 Join Date
    Low Wycombe, CLocation
    7,843Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MentaL View Post
    out of my hands at the moment everything is ran through sphinx engine and i'm ill so it's not a priority atm.
    and you know, life, small child, other things that matter irl other than a little search tool on ragezone.

True MemberRank
    Aug 2007 Join Date
    Prestwich, UnitLocation
    1,108Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MentaL View Post
    A simple reply was all that's needed least we now know you are aware of this problem :)
    Thankyou fella..

Quote Originally Posted by ChewBecca View Post
    and you know, life, small child, other things that matter irl other than a little search tool on ragezone.
    Lolz I have 5 small children, wish I had one Oo, still found time to post the bug I found for him :-) Not knowing more people had this too. Didn't expect so many replies really an just thought if a small amount of people replied here how many others out of everyone on rz could get or is having this same problem.
    Its not a big problem really but it is a problem people are having an if @MentaL hadn't responded I'm sure people would just keep tagging him an spamming etc etc..
    Now I know he knows the subject is closed for me.. an I can go on my RZ'ing knowing the head man is on it :-)

Hit my "Like" if you find my post helpful :-)

LegendRank
    Oct 2005 Join Date
    Low Wycombe, CLocation
    7,843Posts

Closing this due to it not really being an issue and will be looked at at some point...

good for you and your army of small people.

Administrator  Rank
    Dec 2000 Join Date
    32,919Posts

don't worry though i'll look into , it could be me being a retard and made a configuration error or its just a corrupt db. Our search db is split into like 8 different files and thus its a bit more complicated than a standard vb search engine.
    RaGEZONE Recommends

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Advertisement