Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

3d Section

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
I would love if we had an (game-oriented) 3d section, with releases (in known formats), and maybe even tutorials :)

I thought of that because i have seen some fine releases of 3d stuff on some MMO games sections, and the 'portfolio' section is 2d oriented, if one begins to put 3d releases and tutorials there, that section would become messy i think..

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Ok. I tell you for him.

He don't like the suggestion.

Now you have 3 likes :)

But i would like to know why he would think its stupid. I do not intend to be stupid, i want to get smarter.

I am sorry to deploy my stupidity on this great forum. I will try to be 'smarter' from now on.

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Maybe he thought that 3d stuff is not relevant to games. A lot of programming folks think this way.

Or he was trying to protect the modelers profit. Of course.

So, on an effort to dignify and make this forum more pleasant for all, i removed all links to my models. So with that i can abide to what 'the forum's owner' thinks, and make a mutual gain situation. I would not want stupid things on my forum, if i had one, so why i would leave stupid things in someone else's forum?

GFX Maniac
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Maybe he thought that 3d stuff is not relevant to games. A lot of programming folks think this way.

Or he was trying to protect the modelers profit. Of course.

So, on an effort to dignify and make this forum more pleasant for all, i removed all links to my models. So with that i can abide to what 'the forum's owner' thinks, and make a mutual gain situation. I would not want stupid things on my forum, if i had one, so why i would leave stupid things in someone else's forum?

That attitude won't get you anywhere... If Mental doesn't want it he should have his reasons

I like the idea, I wanted to learn about it too :/
+1 for this

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
And my 2 reasons (for this 'attitude', that hopefully few people will notice) are 'very sensitive ears' (and perhaps old age, hehehe).

GFX Maniac
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That kind of sarcasm isn't quite the best way to solve that kind of things xD

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
It is not sarcasm, and things are solved. The guy called those things 'stupid', and i removed them. So, it is really solved. A very logic, un-sarcastic situation.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Having one place where people from different games/designers come together could benefit all the game sections. Those who have more knowledge on things like this could start up dead sections by inspiring people from sections that have nothing like this.

Some sections can't create their own models or animations because they lack the community support or no one in the community has done it before. So i like this idea and maybe there could be a vote?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
When this idea was first put to me, I asked ChewBecca what she would do with a 3D portfolio. She commented positively in my section where Fox first suggested it.

I feel crap that I didn't notice this in the suggestions area before, and I wonder if MentaL thinks the idea is "kind of stupid" because he didn't quite understand the proposal.

ScreamingFox (and others) make new weapons and armour for PristonTale. Some of their models are "ported" from other games, or designed based on things in films, books, paintings and... other games. I've seen other 3D artists doing similar things in their sections. (IMS GunZ has quite a lot of 3rd party models)

Anyway, the style of GunZ and the style of PristonTale may be very different, but a lot of the MMOs we work with are not. For example, I know one PT server imported a large array of WoW weapons.

The tools these artists use are often the same. They use Blender, 3D Studio, MilkShape, Wings, ZBrush etc. etc. and do their magic and come up with models.

I don't understand 3D design, I've tried and it just does my head in every time. Likewise Fox can't get his head around programming. But if I have a routine which I think is pretty neat for, IDK, voice chat or such. Maybe I've written it for PT but think "You know, you could probably add this to any MMO and it would be nicer than having to run TeamSpeak or Ventrillo on top." Well, then I know I could share this information and code in the Coders Paradise, and work with other coders to make that happen. (it's more likely, I would come up with a "bubble sort" that I think is nifty, but non-programmers would be like "Eh!?")

If ScreamingFox makes a really nice 2 hand sword model... it's just a 2 hand sword right? What Fantasy RPG doesn't have one of those? But it looks soooo cooooool! Where does he share this with people working on models for other MMOs in RaGEZONE?

Personally, I think the idea is great. IDK if it should be on it's own as the Paradise is, or if it should be a sub-section of the portfolio, but I think it's a request we should consider.

@ScreamingFox: I apologise, on behalf of MentaL, for his terse reply. He is a very busy man and when he says something like "sounds stupid" I think he generally means he can't see the sense in it... yet. Now, sometimes that's because there literally is no sense to the idea, but in this case I suspect he just hasn't "got it" yet.

The Cat in the Hat
Legend
Reaction score
Two things I would like to add to this thread:

1. ScreamingFox: The attitude of removing all your content because the owner of the forum did not agree with your idea is just childish. It will only piss off everyone and will cause more bad points on your request.
2. bobsobol: Your argument sounds good however the part with MentaL is a bit off.

We could have just as the OP suggested a release, tutorial and help section for modelling, animation and texturing, I mean it's not like ragezone would have anything to loose from this.

Let's see what others think about it.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It will only piss off everyone and will cause more bad points on your request.
I would cry. :*: I don't think MentaL has a problem with those releases as they are.
bobsobol: Your argument sounds good however the part with MentaL is a bit off.
Oh? I hope I'm not offending anyone? How do you think it's "a bit off"? You can PM me if you think I've made a faux pas. (whisper in my ear "I don't think you meant to say that" :huh: "sounds like...." :scared: :blushing:) Fact is ScreamingFox doesn't natively speak English, and where I read the comment as "Eh!? WTF? Why?" that isn't necessarily how Fox sees it. That's all.

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
@Bobsobol: Noble as always. May the personified Doubt shiver upon knowing of your existence.

@cypher: Not all of childish things are negative, nor all the absence made to withstand or deny presence. May my childish ways be the hypostasis of my oldish wiseness. And may my childish attitude avail against the darkness of the 'adult' indolence. May i try to divide a good thing by Zero and succeed at multiplying a good thing to the Infinite. Remember that even if it sounds strange, i made it for good.
The removal of links are just a way to show how things could it be on a specific situation, and 'what things already are' on a more wider point of view.

The inspiration to evolve things would be absurd if all RZ 3d designers gather, in my opinion.

Last edited:
2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I didn't read all of the comments in the thread but I can say I would much like to see a section specifically for 3D design.

The fact is, until you get to the final stages of editing (exporting and such), most modeling and animations in games are completely the same, besides some small differences in lighting, particle data, the like, and having it spread across 5-6 game sections doesn't make much sense to me. Not only does it make the sections messy, it gives less usages for someones release. I know day after day in the GunZ section, we receive people asking generic questions about modeling programs, when really, it has nothing to do with GunZ at all. Due to the fact that there is no other section in which we can answer it in, we accept the thread and just take it for what it is.

I am personally majoring in Graphic Design for the sole purpose of 3D design, and I can tell you now that it is completely different from 2D design after a point. Basic Photoshop tutorials may help you, but once it comes down to it, no 2D artist is going to know one thing about "Normal Maps", "Bitmapping", let alone all the different texture types there are. The differences vary so much that I was kinda surprised that there wasn't one period.

It would give me much joy to learn from others that have much more experience in this field, and even though I am a beginner by many aspects, I would help as much as I can.

If website design receives its own section, when it practically is just a collection of Photoshop work, I do not understand when a completely different art type, literally not in the same dimension as normal graphical design, can't.

Anyways, that's all I have to say, I hope you can reconsider Mental o.o.

Edit: If lack of material is what you fear, I can tell you now that just in the GunZ section, model releases happen at least once a week, and we have well over half a dozen tutorials specifically dealing with 3D modeling, and that is just our silly section. We have the ability to make models for well over a dozen games in this forum, so lack of material will not be an issue.

Back