"Copyright Infringement"

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ˌ Ron is offline
    The OmegaRank
    Apr 2005 Join Date
    Location
    9,315Posts

    "Copyright Infringement"


    RaGEZONE Recommends

    RaGEZONE Recommends

    There has been a lot of stuff going on lately regarding Kidd's "abuse" by removing content from the Portfolio section to protect copyright, which prompted me to make this thread. I just wanted to present a few points regarding his copyright infringement defensive actions in a calm and mature manner. If you're going to reply with useless bullshit then please, don't reply at all.


    This is RaGEZONE, the most popular MMORPG private server development forum on the internet. RaGEZONE is the host of a numerous amount server files, ranging from "official" files to emulators.


    Emulators are legal. No unlawful actions are taken in the creation of emulators. The only thing you are doing is breaking a company's Terms of Service, where in a nutshell they more often than not state that any manipulation of the game files for any use other than playing the game breaks their Terms of Service and they reserve the right to suspend your game account. Again, not illegal.


    "Official" server files are files that are obtained by either by them being leaked from a member of a development team or someone authorized to handle the files, or by a security breach from a hacker gaining elevated access to a server to archive and download the server files. Both cases being considered stolen, and we all know that stealing is illegal. By using the "official" server files to run a server you are profitting, whether in money or in community members, from illegally obtained propety.


    You may be wondering what my point is...


    In the MU Online section, there are a lot of "development teams" that are selling a product that derives from Webzen's (owner of MU Online) source code. They take illegally obtained server files, fix the bugs, add in custom features, then sell them to the public. Not only does RaGEZONE permit these actions, they also promote these actions by selling advertisment banners to these groups and stickying their threads so more people see the files being sold. I'm not complaining about this, this is great. Its good for people to offer premium server files to people who can afford to run a great server. It is better for the players as they know they are playing on a server where a lot of money has already been invested.


    My point is the following;


    Kidd is making a lot of fuss about people taking bits and pieces of other peoples' web designs and adding them to their own. How is this any different at all from the MU Online scenario I just described? People take something as a base from someone else, then they modify it to suit their needs and either use their product for themselves or sell it to others. Same concept, but rather than being server files its website templates.


    So my question is this; why is this permitted in the MU Online section, but this is NOT permitted in the portfolio section? The actions Kidd have taken recently are creating MAJOR double standards on RaGEZONE and its stuff like this that cause the quality of RaGEZONE as a whole to drop. The amount of people who have left RaGEZONE due to actions such as what Kidd is taking is enough people to build a large community in itself. Lots of great members have left here because of the bullshit certain moderators put the members through.


    I'd love to hear a valid reason as to why Kidd is allowed to take these actions against members of RaGEZONE when this has been going on throughout this site for years, though I know I am not entitled to it. This is mainly here for everyone who was defending Kidd to realize why they are wrong.


    It needs to be survival of the fittest, just like every other development section here. So what if someone takes your ideas? If someone does your idea better than you do, so be it. Learn to improve yourself to beat them. If you can't, move on and find a better idea. People have stolen a lot of my ideas over the years and I have learned from that and moved on, done things that are even better.

    Please, don't comment if you can't reply with a maturely structured post. Getting tired of the "OMG HE IS SO BAD WTF" and "STFU UR WRONG LOL" bullshit.
    RF-Dev Team


  2. #2
    Grenafukindear Grenadier is offline
    True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    1,328Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    I agree with you, i didn't read through the "abuse" thread properly before stating my remark. A website template is expendable compared to an Emulator, or a server. I can't really see anyone fighting off a lawsuit because of a Template. The guy only took a tiny piece of the dkart design, and used it on his own, i believe it's called being resourceful, and inspired. There is really no need for all the fuss, it's a template, not a matter of life or death.
    Last edited by Grenadier; 24-10-12 at 07:05 AM.

  3. #3
    ˌ Ron is offline
    The OmegaRank
    Apr 2005 Join Date
    Location
    9,315Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    Emulators in this context are MMORPG server emulators, not console emulators, but lets not go off-topic.
    RF-Dev Team

  4. #4
    Grenafukindear Grenadier is offline
    True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    1,328Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Emulators in this context are MMORPG server emulators, not console emulators, but lets not go off-topic.
    Fixed Post.

  5. #5
    I'm-a ruin you, cunt! Delici0us is offline
    True MemberRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    IsraelLocation
    773Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    Although this is a great post that is actually very informative I think you’ve gone the wrong way about posting it.

    You should have gone via MentaL or a Super-Mod first because as a community we can’t keep on calling people out in public and not giving the higher up’s a chance to rectify the situation, otherwise we end up with pointless posts saying “Why DON’T ZE SUPAAA MODS FIX ALL DIS SHIT, LOLFAG” etc.

  6. #6
    Pessimistic Ass@%&! Monolith is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Jan 2008 Join Date
    DallasLocation
    2,315Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    I know I posted in the other thread...and even brought it to the attention of Tyler asking him to say something...not because of what the post was saying...but because of what the post was...same as Delicious is saying...this is not the route to take....but I agree with you whole heartedly....

    I myself have fought mods here to get something released...back when Glaphan was totally against FlyFF section getting the official files...I argued with him till the ends of the world before finally releasing them myself in the MMORPG Extra area...(Not the source...the files)out of Glaphan's reach so he couldn't delete the threads...then I played dumb while the whole of RZ and the FlyFF section has grown greatly due to it...

    This is the exact arguement I always had with him....RZ is based on sharing....software...knowledge...you name it...

    I wanted the thread closed due to the arguing and the fact that proper channels were not followed....sorry to say but I feel the same way about this thread..."whistleblowing" isn't really needed and doesn't help the community...Mental will make a decision and that decision will be final...and if we as users don't like it...we have 2 choices to be honest...grin and bear it...or leave. But whatever decision Mental makes will be the best for the community you can rest assured on that.

  7. #7
    SK CREATIONS Sir Kidd is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Jun 2007 Join Date
    RageZoneLocation
    1,725Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    There has been a lot of stuff going on lately regarding Kidd's "abuse" by removing content from the Portfolio section to protect copyright, which prompted me to make this thread. I just wanted to present a few points regarding his copyright infringement defensive actions in a calm and mature manner. If you're going to reply with useless bullshit then please, don't reply at all.
    There has been one thread in regard to this and again you are talking about this in the wrong manor. Attempting to attack me in an alternative manor is not going to work. This thread in it self is ballshit as it is just another attempt to try and cause an issue. If you want to make a thread about copyright issue then make one properly not a back handed attack. [No need to bring my name up nor does it help your cause it just looks like your crying about the fact]


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This is RaGEZONE, the most popular MMORPG private server development forum on the internet. RaGEZONE is the host of a numerous amount server files, ranging from "official" files to emulators.
    Sadly you are incorrect we do not host server files at ragezone we only allow you to link to such content. Even when I use to run RageZone Gunz Mental had a strict no uploading policy. The question is do you see ragezone uploading Gunz 2 source or is it a thread linking to download links located outside of ragezone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Emulators are legal. No unlawful actions are taken in the creation of emulators. The only thing you are doing is breaking a company's Terms of Service, where in a nutshell they more often than not state that any manipulation of the game files for any use other than playing the game breaks their Terms of Service and they reserve the right to suspend your game account. Again, not illegal.
    The copyright issue at hand was not about an emulator it was about another members design work. So talking about an emulator then about a website is something slightly different. Also if it is illegal or not does not constitute in regard to if it violates copyright by being hosted at ragezone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    "Official" server files are files that are obtained by either by them being leaked from a member of a development team or someone authorized to handle the files, or by a security breach from a hacker gaining elevated access to a server to archive and download the server files. Both cases being considered stolen, and we all know that stealing is illegal. By using the "official" server files to run a server you are profitting, whether in money or in community members, from illegally obtained propety.
    Again at ragezone we are developing we do not host these files. So again your comment about server files is actually invalid RAGEZONE DEVELOPMENT FORUM << Not Ragezone Server File Forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You may be wondering what my point is...
    To moan because I was proven to not be abusing against your friend something that sadly failed. That seems to be your point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    In the MU Online section, there are a lot of "development teams" that are selling a product that derives from Webzen's (owner of MU Online) source code. They take illegally obtained server files, fix the bugs, add in custom features, then sell them to the public. Not only does RaGEZONE permit these actions, they also promote these actions by selling advertisment banners to these groups and stickying their threads so more people see the files being sold. I'm not complaining about this, this is great. Its good for people to offer premium server files to people who can afford to run a great server. It is better for the players as they know they are playing on a server where a lot of money has already been invested.
    Because again these are not hosted at ragezone these are just talks about development and advertisement. Its the age old argument about a warez site. Not illegal to link but is to host.




    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Kidd is making a lot of fuss about people taking bits and pieces of other peoples' web designs and adding them to their own. How is this any different at all from the MU Online scenario I just described? People take something as a base from someone else, then they modify it to suit their needs and either use their product for themselves or sell it to others. Same concept, but rather than being server files its website templates.
    Why because unlike a private server where you know you are getting stolen work if you pay a web designer for his service you do not expect him to steal some one elses content and then pretend it is his. With a server file you know exactly what your getting and you know the risks. Also a webdesign can be copyrighted by the designer where as server files can not be meaning if the original designer wants to remove them he can and will and you will be out of luck with out any knowledge. If an offical server wants your files removed you already knew this was a possibility.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    So my question is this; why is this permitted in the MU Online section, but this is NOT permitted in the portfolio section? The actions Kidd have taken recently are creating MAJOR double standards on RaGEZONE and its stuff like this that cause the quality of RaGEZONE as a whole to drop. The amount of people who have left RaGEZONE due to actions such as what Kidd is taking is enough people to build a large community in itself. Lots of great members have left here because of the bullshit certain moderators put the members through.
    There is no double standard pretty much the same standard we have always had. Also ragezone quality will not be affected because I stop people attempting to sell stolen websites to others. This is called protecting the members, as I stated before you know a server file is what it is how ever on a webdesign you copyright it yourself and expect it to be yours. If the designer has stolen the work and you dont know this is not the case. So you are stepping into unknown waters.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'd love to hear a valid reason as to why Kidd is allowed to take these actions against members of RaGEZONE when this has been going on throughout this site for years, though I know I am not entitled to it. This is mainly here for everyone who was defending Kidd to realize why they are wrong.
    Actually same policy has been around for ages. You seem to fail to understand this is not my first time as a staff member. I do know the way ragezone works very well maybe better than a lot of people due to the fact I have worked on all areas of ragezone. From running a server for ragezone to developing for gunz to being a web designer and being a staff member. So I do have so idea what I am talking about.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It needs to be survival of the fittest, just like every other development section here. So what if someone takes your ideas? If someone does your idea better than you do, so be it. Learn to improve yourself to beat them. If you can't, move on and find a better idea. People have stolen a lot of my ideas over the years and I have learned from that and moved on, done things that are even better.

    Please, don't comment if you can't reply with a maturely structured post. Getting tired of the "OMG HE IS SO BAD WTF" and "STFU UR WRONG LOL" bullshit.
    Survival of the fittest is stealing some ones work and attempting to pass it off as your own? The difference you fail to grasp is the fact that server files and web designs are two different areas both with there different set of rules. You know your using other peoples property when you work with server files and you know the risks. How ever when you pay a web designer to create a custom design for you how do you know? No one expects to be screwed out of money due to a designer stealing work. You dont know the risks when you by a webdesign so there is a big difference. It is that simple. If you fail to understand this Ron I suggest you have no idea.

    My points where made valid,
    I was proven to not be abusing and I was backed by higher ups so thats why,
    Last edited by Sir Kidd; 24-10-12 at 12:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Titan Warrior FCV2005 is offline
    True MemberRank
    Mar 2007 Join Date
    RomaniaLocation
    1,036Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    MU Releases - MU Online - RaGEZONE forums all most files are using Name : Cracked , if is cracked then that was a original product of some teams right ? you will see real copyright on game clients .... that is just an example , so that is same with warez forum , pelase take a sit and look , in every category is same ....


    please don't give us rules with credits because you want and becuase you are moderator on a small forum category .... i undertstand some principies , you want to be a Political People and us to be slaves .... cya
    Skype : FCV2005-WD

  9. #9
    SK CREATIONS Sir Kidd is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Jun 2007 Join Date
    RageZoneLocation
    1,725Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    Extra Note,

    If a user steals work from another server file developer it has no adverse affect on ragezone nor does it cause its members any harm or recourse. This is due to the fact all developers are working with server files [normally exactly the same] so no one can really hurt another just maybe leapfrog development steps they would have taken.

    If a user steals work from another web designer and is later caught it causes a great amount of issues. Such actions place every other web designer in ragezone who work hard to produce stuff now look bad. Every single web designer now has to work even harder to get any clients thanks to one person. Also every web designer now has to prove they do not use any stolen web designs on there work and also will lose lack of motivation. This causes these members to leave ragezone and look else where for clients and start to private message for work and take more actions to get work that may not be in accordance with our rules. This causes more issues that have members complaining about spam , advertisement and other issues. This then makes ragezone staff look bad to allow it to get to such a point.

  10. #10
    Custom title enabled ChewBecca is offline
    LegendRank
    Oct 2005 Join Date
    Low Wycombe, CLocation
    7,843Posts

    Re: "Copyright Infringement"

    Oh god here we go again. Request this thread gets closed before it turns into the one before.










Advertisement