Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Country Flags or Languages Spoken shown in the Profile

Reaction score
The problem which is constantly growing in various sections are non-english posts appearing everywhere, which technically breaks the rules of the forum (It's an English-spoken Forum, right?).

So I thought, that even though there is a location section underneath the profile, maybe it would be possible to add like a little, but visible, country flags and people would be able to select the languages they speak? That way it might be possible to, at least, lower the amount of non-english posts and people, who are smart enough, would understand from the flags that the person can speak in their language and is willing to help them out.
On top of what, the user itself would decide if the wants to add the language he speaks or not and if he does, couple country flags appears near location or somewhere in between? I think up to 3 country flags would be perfect, since people who speaks over 5 different languages are not that many and to say "hello" in 20+ languages even I could do.

404_image.png

Looking at the positive side, there are a good-will people who might help and this would be another way for them to get private messages in regards to certain questions, which are in their own language. There is quite a big amount of people who are trying to learn and posting things in 25 languages is simply not possible, but it would be good that it would be clear who speaks in specific languages and forum would encourage the interaction and help-seeking between it's user, rather than constantly fishing who could help in their own language without google translating every word or spamming a non-english threads and getting warnings.

It might not be a super productive, but it will definitely would be an effective thing to have or consider a similar alternative. Of course encouragement of learning English is always best, but sometimes it doesn't work well.

To point out couple things:
1. Pure guess, but most likely, just 30% (roughly) users are using their own countries as a location.
2. A non-english speaking person (as silly as it may sound) might not understand their own country name written in English and just coz they used google translate to register wouldn't help either.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a good idea but do you think that everyone will use it?

Reaction score
Most likely there won't be many people using them, but the ones who will like to help others or simply are available to answer questions could put this on and it would encourage people, who are looking for help, but also struggling with English language, to find someone who speaks in their language and message them for help.

Reaction score
Certainly something to consider when xF arrives. I personally like this idea, as A, it's an additional optional extra for the forums and B, users may want to show what languages they speak. Representation if you like.

It may also help members communicate better if they know what languages they are able to speak. Even though this is an English based forum, I don't think speaking another language via Private Message is against the rules and if it helps to communicate better, that's just another one of those small issues resolved.

I don't know if your picture is trying to show what I'm thinking, but the small flags you mentioned could potentially be placed inside the location info, next to whatever the user has put in there. I don't know whether this may cause issues with the text inside the box as it may fill up if certain members know multiple languages but I'm sure that could be worked around (or placed in an additional box).

Overall, I like your idea. However it isn't up to me to consider this. I'm simply stating my two pence.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Certainly something to consider when xF arrives. I personally like this idea, as A, it's an additional optional extra for the forums and B, users may want to show what languages they speak. Representation if you like.

It may also help members communicate better if they know what languages they are able to speak. Even though this is an English based forum, I don't think speaking another language via Private Message is against the rules and if it helps to communicate better, that's just another one of those small issues resolved.

I don't know if your picture is trying to show what I'm thinking, but the small flags you mentioned could potentially be placed inside the location info, next to whatever the user has put in there. I don't know whether this may cause issues with the text inside the box as it may fill up if certain members know multiple languages but I'm sure that could be worked around (or placed in an additional box).

Overall, I like your idea. However it isn't up to me to consider this. I'm simply stating my two pence.

Thanks.

What about a tooltip. Something like this:

FAvPzqM.png

It would be cool if one can actually select the languages they speak instead of making it based on the location info. Some countries don't have their own language or have multiple languages. Overall I think OP has a good idea for a future feature.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When doing a hover, it has to be clear that you CAN hover it. Otherwise it's a feature nobody will know of. Personally I think a hover might be to fancy.

Well I guess a shinny blue question mark (?) will do the trick

Reaction score
It can be accomplished with custom fields / multiple choice addon, and display languages spoken per user's choice.

Example:

2L2CDza.png

I am fairly certain that whatever forum engine this forum will move to, it will have such addon.

This is what I was talking about. As mentioned by someone else, a hover is just pointless when it can be much cleaner by simply adding another box to the already displayed information with the flags of languages one can speak and understand.

I still think this is something interesting to add regardless of how it's done.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
$0.01 Tbh, it will only end up making people TaG someone and then post in their native language...

Already happens too much in Habbo Hotel. People know I'm Dutch and they will just tag me and then post in Dutch...

$0.01 Also I like it how clean the current profile is. Adding more image is gonna be ugly tbh.

Just my $0.02

Back