Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GameDev Developments Section

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello MentaL, Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening...

Well I've been thinking about something innovative that would be great for the forum, and came in mind why not have an own area for "GameDev"

We have seen that there are excellent editors, such as Unity 3D, UDK, Unreal Engine, Blender and others ..

We are a great community and it would be innovative for the community.

Of course, you decide that here, thought about it .. would be great this section

Thank U / Gracias / Obrigado

Reaction score
Maybe, however it could also turn into a resource sharing section for each of the Engines but I don't really think many people will post in it probably because lack of knowledge.

Talking for yourself? Because there are A LOT of very knowledgeable people that lurk around RaGEZONE, whether or not they post or not. :sleep: But I see what you mean where it'd become a resource sharing section. I'd honestly say if people really want a section like this, prove that it'll need it's own sub-forum, by posting in the " MMORPG Extra Developments " or even in The Portfolio* " Tutorials and Resources "

* Providing that it's not just a copy & paste of a pre-existing engine, game, etc..

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
I'm vouching for this.

I've seen a few decent threads with questions related to game mechanics. Those threads are currently in the MMO Extra help section but I think they should have their own section. Content that is focused on game development and not private server development should go in this section. This will allow users to discover more about games. I know there are other forums for this kind of stuff but I think that Ragezone should at least support this a little bit since it's a MMO forum where you can learn new things thanks to existing games. I think people should be able to learn new things of game mechanics from others especially if it isn't related to emulation for existing games.

Last edited:
Staff member
Reaction score
Im going to put my vouch in on it.
Since I mean, in the Dragonball section there aren't many people that hang out there that know much about programming.
I think a dedicated Game Development section would spread the knowledge around a bit better then them being stuck in
just the game/section they are currently working on.

AKA Share some programmer love :)

Reaction score
I believe we have already tried other sections, such as rpg maker and another one of the 2d game engines. There are just much better resources out there where you can get more relevant help with stuff.

A section would be great, but it would really need to be maintained by someone who actually works with engines like Unreal and Unity on a daily basis.

Reaction score
But it's not just for that it's for game development in general game development questions and answers

"Game development" is an extremely broad topic, as I'm sure you know. Just to make my point; "Game development" covers anything from basic texture application, animations, other artwork, core engine design, player experience planning, additional system development.... all of which vary depending on what engine you are using.

This would have to be centralized to specific game engines each with their own sections. The topic "game development" is far too broad to be categorized by a single "Game Dev" section. Something like this would work:

Game Development
* Unreal Engine
-- General
-- Art / Animation
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- Scripting
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- 2D Techniques
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- 3D Techniques
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- MMO Development
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases

* Unity
-- General
-- Art / Animation
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- Scripting
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- 2D Techniques
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- 3D Techniques
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases
-- MMO Development
---- General Help
---- Tutorials
---- Releases

* RPG Maker
-- etc....

* Hero Engine
-- etc...

* GameMaker
-- etc...

* whatever else people want

Clearly these kinds of sections would either get out of hand really fast via a single section, so much that the sections themselves would be so cluttered that they'd be deemed useless. Otherwise everything needs to be over-organized so people can actually discuss each topic individually, because each topic in gaming development really requires its own section. The downside to this is over-organization of forum sections leads to scattered discussion, making it extremely difficult for that particular section to become active.

"General game development questions and answers" does not exist as a topic.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
As someone with a game mechanics and level design background, I support this wholeheartedly. Let's get some raw game design content up for RZ, :D.

Also I think those forums could be organised differently, with only guide topics posted within except for the subforums. I don't know if we should cover any engines beyond the 'main engines', specifically as most of them already use scripting languages that are covered further below.

Engine-specific
- Construct2
- CryEngine
- UDK
- Unity

Fundamentals
- Design principles
- Level design
- Gallery
- Mechanics and Methodologies
- Runtime examples (live demos of these in action, etc.)
- Others I cannot think of right now (hangovers suck, haha)

Modelling
- General techniques
- 3DSmax
- Help
- Gallery
- Maya
- Help
- Gallery
- Blender
- Help
- Gallery

- SketchUp
- Help
- Gallery

Scripting
- General principles
- C#/C++
- Snippets/Tutorials
- Showcase

- Java
- Snippets/Tutorials
- Showcase

- Python
- Snippets/Tutorials
- Showcase

- Others that I can't think of right now...

I would happily volunteer for a moderating position in the Fundamentals section, though I've only had 3500ish people enjoy my projects for, or revolving around, games that now lack a large fanbase (Freelancer, mostly), and Morrowind back in the day. Oh, and with 2k subs- no random friend requests please. Also I've got intermediate (I think so, at least) knowledge of Construct2 and currently learning Unity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even still. That level of category depth is overwhelming. New content would be spread out, and lack of activity across all of the sections would just cause them all to eventually die off.

A more compact structure would be required for this idea to work here while a community for that section is built up.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, how about all the modelling and scripting subforums being tags instead, so the only subforums in that category would be Snippets/Tutorials and Showcase? That was my initial idea but I thought setting up that many tags might be an issue.

Additionally, I think it'll always be hard to find a balance between certain sections, considering game design and development aren't exactly concise topics to approach.

Back