• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Can we make internal links open in the same target rather than a new window/tab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm writing a book, basically, in the tutorials section. I feel there's a need for a tutorial on creating an MMO from scratch, since this forum is an MMO Development Community. But there's a problem. Every time I link to a different thread, the browser opens up a new tab. I was thinking, this happens all over the forum for internal and external links. If I receive a like, when I look at the thread, it opens in a new tab. It happens everywhere! I end up with 10 ragezone tabs open.

I think it would work better if external links (links to google.com for example) open up in a new tab. But internal links (to other ragezone forum pages) should open up in the same tab. Is it too much work to have it function like that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hm, it doesn't happen on other sites. Maybe there's a user setting on ragezone or something. I'll poke around.

Edit: It happens on firefox, too (using chrome default). It only happens when I click links in threads or comments. For example, from the forum home, clicking on this thread opens in same tab. But if I click the link to my tutorial within this thread, it opens in a new tab. Checking user settings now.

Reaction score
I use the advanced wysiwyg editor (CKEditor), if that matters. I like it because I can copy/paste highlighted JavaScript code into
Code:
 tags rather than [php] tags.

Edit: Didn't see any user setting for this.

Edit2: Here is the code I get from the chrome inspector for the link in this thread:
[code]
<a title="1.) MMO From Scratch - Introduction" href="!1092707!f578/1-mmo-scratch-introduction-1092707/" target="_blank">a book, basically, in the tutorials section</a>
edit: For some reason, when I save it's changing 'http://forum.ragezone.com/f578/1-mmo-scratch-introduction-1092707/' to '!1092707!f578/1-mmo-scratch-introduction-1092707/' lol, *facepalm*
The href is absolute, but it's like that with all links.. For example, the link to Suggestions section:
Code:
<a href="http://forum.ragezone.com/f600/" itemprop="url"><span itemprop="title">Suggestions</span></a>

It should be possible to check if the link starts with 'http://forum.ragezone.com' and make the target '_self' or just not define a target.

Edit:

Also, if you goto your profile and click Post Thanks / Like- then click on the post that someone liked, that opens in a new tab. It does not open in a new tab under Quotes, Mentions, or Suggestions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back