Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

IRC Channel

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I can't guess how many times this has been suggested (well I probably could but I don't want to look).

Why don't you create an IRC channel? There can be multiple channels (#support, #chat, #subscribers, and channels for peoples custom channels) to fill needs of all who want it. Better yet, this eliminates the option of a chatbox which can lead to serious lag - or so everyone says. The staff of the forum can moderate the main chat and support channels.

I'm assuming you can also put up a little tab on the top near the Raffle and Arcade tabs.

I can't really see a downside but only upsides. It allows people to chat without having a chatbox and slower website. There is no need to download mIRC unless you want to, because there's some Java thing you can run on the page. It wouldn't kill the server, would it?

If you want to, vote in the poll so votes can be tallied faster.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suggested millions of times

There's too big of a member-base here to have such a chat. I'm pretty sure there'd be a decent server-load because of the members as well as the hard to moderate-chat because of the amount of members there are. Not to mention probably not being able to properly read a conversation because of the amount of text being sent in at once due to the large member-base.

I'm going to go ahead and say no, it's somewhat useless and serves no purpose. There are different sections on the forums for a reason, having an IRC and having them all in one channel is somewhat useless. If you want to contact other forum members, do it on a SNS.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
No, as there'd be too many users, and even if we managed to fit it all into one server, there'd be too much lagg and spam.

Chasing 99 Red Balloons
Reaction score
Guessing neither of you have ran an IRC network then, IRC servers are lightweight if configured correctly. Many moons ago RZ did have an IRC server but it was never really popular and it seemed to vanish a few years back.

Reaction score
Been done over and over. It doesn't stick because the new generation of browsers don't really use IRC, and the older members all have each other on skype/steam/xfire/etc so there is no point in using it.

The more modern thing to do would be to create a group chat on Skype specifically for RZ, but skype tends to be a little hectic with large group chats.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I do like IRC but it would be counter productive really to our hidden sections and stuff.
I agree in a way, but it's faster than posting and isn't really a "wait for a reply" kind of thing. With IRC, you're right there and able to communicate.

Been done over and over. It doesn't stick because the new generation of browsers don't really use IRC, and the older members all have each other on skype/steam/xfire/etc so there is no point in using it.

The more modern thing to do would be to create a group chat on Skype specifically for RZ, but skype tends to be a little hectic with large group chats.

Again, I agree in a way. I think it's easier to just click a tab and sign in via the IRC chat and start chatting than it is logging into Skype. Sure, it's more modern not everyone uses it and with IRC everyone is sort of connected in a way.

Ex-Mod
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why not just have a regular RZ channel on a pre-existing IRC network?

I'd love to see a RZ-specific IRC server, if it was possible... we had one in the past, didn't we? I recall there being one, but as stated previously, not many were on it enough.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Then set up a server and enjoy your ghost town.

I don't exactly want to run it but be a part of it. If it isn't really wanted, then guess it won't happen... (bump)

Back