Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MapleStory Section Rearrangement

Reaction score
Currently, the MapleStory forum has 4 sections:

• Java Based (Odin)
  • Alternative Languages
  • WZ Editing
  • General Discussion

Java Based (Odin) used to be the main forum. After a few years, it's been separated, and Java Based (Odin) has received it's own section because it's the most known and developed source code for MapleStory private servers. Also, since there have been attempts to create emulators for MapleStory in different languages, and since people have been creating various tools for the game in alternative languages (not related to Java or OdinMS), the Alternative Languages section has been opened, which is great. People can now release, post tutorials, ask for help regard things that are not Java only. This makes things much more organized.

Moreover, the WZ Editing section was opened. WZ Editing has to do with manipulating the data files of MapleStory, which also has nothing to do with MapleStory coding, however, some private servers override the original data to include custom content. It's not over. Even the General Discussion section was opened, to let users discuss about the official servers, or private servers. However, yet no web development section. To strength my opinion, I can support evidence that the WZ Editing section has barely no activity. The top thread was created on June 2013. The replies are still from 2013, not relying on the 3 last replies. Are you kidding me? This gets it's own section?

Nonetheless, there is a different aspect. MapleStory private servers usually include websites, thus allowing players to easily get updates about the server, join the forums, register to the server, get the required client, etcetera. Web developers have created different WCMS's with custom MapleStory themes for the forum users to use for their private servers. However, since there is no web development section, they have to release them inside the Alternative Languages section.

I think the whole point of the Alternative Languages section is missed. Basically, the Alternative Languages section is there for development, releases, tutorials and help regarding alternative languages, as in alternative languages other than Java. I'm not sure what web development has to do with it, as the main reason of the MapleStory section is private server development. Web development is very different from it; it has nothing to do with private servers. It's an add-on, if you will. I'm sure you can all agree.
@sunnyboy has opened a thread in the MapleStory section about this phenomenon as well. You can view the thread here. His point is very clear. He also suggests that web development is not MapleStory private server development, clearly, and I quote:

Now mister photo, you seem to be telling us "All MapleStory alternative language developments here".

Is that 100% correct?

Yes? Excellent.

Judge and Jury (you people), you can clearly see that the section is for Alternative Language's for MapleStory Development and a website is not a MapleStory Development. it's merely a website and has no right to be located in the area.

To conclude, I do believe web development should have it's own section or sub-forum and be disconnected from the Alternative Languages section, as it's not even an alternative language (has nothing to do with private server development). This will keep things more organized, clean and better

tl;dr: Open a section for web development, disconnect it from the Alternative Languages forum.

If you do believe that web development should be separated from the Alternative Languages section, please support by liking this thread and expressing your opinion.

Best regards, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm just going to point out that there were already attempts at changing the sections, and despite agreement from all the mods of the section that changes were needed, we were never able to settle on a set of changes that pleased everybody and also satisfied MentaL's standards, so it just kinda died out.
If you think you can get the mods on board to go along with your change, feel free, but I already expended a significant amount of energy into doing so the last time, and nothing came out of that.
At the very least, I'd be happy if we could just get the main MapleStory section locked because nothing belongs there.

Reaction score
I'm just going to point out that there were already attempts at changing the sections, and despite agreement from all the mods of the section that changes were needed, we were never able to settle on a set of changes that pleased everybody and also satisfied MentaL's standards, so it just kinda died out.
If you think you can get the mods on board to go along with your change, feel free, but I already expended a significant amount of energy into doing so the last time, and nothing came out of that.
At the very least, I'd be happy if we could just get the main MapleStory section locked because nothing belongs there.

I agree with the last part. The main MapleStory section has no purpose, actually. Also, if that'll help - I can come up with a section arrangement. I hope @MentaL can shed some more light on this topic.

Also, as weird as it sounds, I'm not sure why, even though Odin is the main source code, should get it's own section.

Reaction score
Why open a web-development section for a MMO section? I think you need to strengthen your argument more. We have a Coding section, and there's a spot for web dev talk and releases and whatnot. Would MS-related web dev topics not fit under that section? I'm not trying to undermine your argument, just trying to understand it a little more.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
@Fraysa please stop mentioning MentaL and demanding a reply from him.

Your suggestion isn't going unnoticed there are just other things going on.

Anything changed would need to be discussed by the section mods/supervisors etc. So feel free to keep on discussing ideas here just please don't expect answers. We'll come back to this topic when we get to this item.
Thanks

Reaction score
Why open a web-development section for a MMO section? I think you need to strengthen your argument more. We have a Coding section, and there's a spot for web dev talk and releases and whatnot. Would MS-related web dev topics not fit under that section? I'm not trying to undermine your argument, just trying to understand it a little more.

Well, you might be right, but the main issue is that web development has nothing to do with private server development in alternative languages. I honestly don't see why java gets it's own section and web development is mixed with the alternative languages section.

Thanks for the reply.

BloopBloop
Reaction score
As i made a similar suggestion before, where i also said that i would help the mod's finding all threads that should be moved.I would like to say that that i am still in for that.

Back