Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private servers copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

I dont know where else to post this.

But i was wondering when i make a private server for the game loong online... In how far is this possible due to copyright...

Could i get in trouble hosting a game like that?

I have the full source code and ect

I just simply wanna know how this copyright things work.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What do i have to change to make the copyright 100% my own
Everything. Make a new game. You're stealing someone else's work. Changing it slightly and calling it your own doesn't give you the copyright.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Host your servers in the European ground. Because the DMCA Copyright is an US law, the Netherlands, Belgium and other countries in the EU will not take actions when hosting in these grounds.

DMCA takedown REQUEST is possible, but no actions will be taken by EU law, because again: these are US laws and our country/nation does not care about them.

"The hosting company may shut you down". Find yourself a proper hosting company, the one which shuts you down is just scared. :scared:

I don't know the laws of netherlands, but in the worst case you would probably have to pay a good amount of money instead of going to jail.
If you want to host a private server just for fun or just for you, go ahead and do it.
But if you advertise it publicly and many people play on it, the chance gets higher and higher that somewhen they get you.
If you want to be fairly safe you would have to use a server to do everything you do so it has a different IP, then use some security systems, ddos safety and some stuff like that. I'm normally not setting up servers so I don't know exactly what is needed.

But as already stated by others: I wouldn't recommend it.
If you know for sure that the game won't bring you good money and wouldn't be worth investing into everything, you should just get the idea out of your head.
Cause most of the times people are thinking : "My private server will be the best!" and then losing money because of all the costs that come with it.
Just think about it for a good time and see if you're willing to risk all that.

- Jax

Netherlands does not care about US laws, maybe some of them, but in this case it does not about DMCA Copyright.

Making something your own copyright requires a lot of work, you've to design and write your own game only then you fully own the copyright. Normally you own the copyright of your own emulator (if you write your own) but you won't have the copyright on the other files you are using.

I've heard a rumor that a private servers actually requesting permission from original developer (Runescape related) and they appear to be still online. I don't suggest doing this tough. If you want something unique, then design and program it by your self.

That is why mister Olga Sanchez from Sulake Incorporated sent's e-mail regarding"DMCA copyright" for images and not emulators :p.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Host your servers in the European ground. Because the DMCA Copyright is an US law, the Netherlands, Belgium and other countries in the EU will not take actions when hosting in these grounds.

DMCA takedown REQUEST is possible, but no actions will be taken by EU law, because again: these are US laws and our country/nation does not care about them.

"The hosting company may shut you down". Find yourself a proper hosting company, the one which shuts you down is just scared. :scared:

Netherlands does not care about US laws, maybe some of them, but in this case it does not about DMCA Copyright.

That is why mister Olga Sanchez from Sulake Incorporated sent's e-mail regarding"DMCA copyright" for images and not emulators :p.

That sounds like a verry smart idea thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back