Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private servers copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

I dont know where else to post this.

But i was wondering when i make a private server for the game loong online... In how far is this possible due to copyright...

Could i get in trouble hosting a game like that?

I have the full source code and ect

I just simply wanna know how this copyright things work.

Reaction score
Hello,

I dont know where else to post this.

But i was wondering when i make a private server for the game loong online... In how far is this possible due to copyright...

Could i get in trouble hosting a game like that?

I have the full source code and ect

I just simply wanna know how this copyright things work.

You can get in trouble for hosting any private server. Nothing new.
How it works is that the creator sends you a DMCA. If you don't comply with them, they might take you to court.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What do i have to change to make the copyright 100% my own

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
What do i have to change to make the copyright 100% my own
I'm sure you'll have to change everything. It's as if you are making you're very own game, with you're very own "coding". There is nothing you can do to make it 100%.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Making something your own copyright requires a lot of work, you've to design and write your own game only then you fully own the copyright. Normally you own the copyright of your own emulator (if you write your own) but you won't have the copyright on the other files you are using.

I've heard a rumor that a private servers actually requesting permission from original developer (Runescape related) and they appear to be still online. I don't suggest doing this tough. If you want something unique, then design and program it by your self.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do you guys think that when i host this game under a diffrent name, they would know about my game or anything?

The only problem i'm having right now is that i dont wanna pay money or something for violating the copyright thing.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Do you guys think that when i host this game under a different name, they would know about my game or anything?
Yes they will and they might even sue you even more if you do this. Copyright is already a big topic for private servers hosters, it forced my server to shutdown due the DMCA I once received. You only can obey their request to avoid trouble.

The only problem i'm having right now is that i dont wanna pay money or something for violating the copyright thing.

If you don't want to pay, then don't host something. It cost you money to host a server, even if it's home hosted (Electricity, internet connection, bandwidth.. etc).

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So i get a warning at first? and dont have to go to court or any?

CodeDragon, i do wanna pay for a server that's not the point, i just dont feel like paying tousands on the copyright violation

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
So i get a warning at first? and dont have to go to court or any?
Normally yes, but there have been some other cases. I remember that a developer's home got raided by the police. ( is a link to the article). If you don't want to get into trouble, then consider hosting it for your friends only and not for everyone.

CodeDragon, i do wanna pay for a server that's not the point, i just dont feel like paying tousands on the copyright violation

That is the risk you take by hosting a private server. But in most cases they will not try to sue you, unless you steal their money and player base.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Which kind of private servers on this forum are safe to host? i have had kalonline servers before never seen a dmca or any

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Which kind of private servers on this forum are safe to host? i have had kalonline servers before never seen a dmca or any
I don't really know what games are 'safe-to-host', it's something you've to search for yourself. I'm mainly focused on helping people. It just depends if they focus on you or not.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
That pretty much sucks... I guess i could try and make a kalonline servers again, the reason i wanna make a game is because i like having my own game with my verry own players and i love making new things into the games.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
That pretty much sucks... I guess i could try and make a kalonline servers again, the reason i wanna make a game is because i like having my own game with my verry own players and i love making new things into the games.

I wish you good luck.

Reaction score
All images are copyright however when it comes to the emulator itself, copyright exists in the ORIGINAL code of the owner. Any code developed by someone else is not identical to that original code made by the developers.. Copyright protects the expression of an idea, not the idea itself.

Short answer you will never host a game that is 100% copyright to you.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
if you want to be safe buy a licence , a bout kalonline the files around here are very old thats why the company don't really care about the ps but if someone reported you to them then you might get in trouble

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Just giving my personal opinion here:

I wouldn't recommend hosting a private server if you're from a country where the laws are ... well ... ya know.
I had a russian friend who helped me with hosting a Server for a game from a russian company.
I had contact with him everyday. Talked to him, chatted with him etc.
One day he dissapeared. That was 1 year ago. Never heard anything of him ever again.
Rumors go around, that some russian guys took him out but who knows. Probably is in jail for a long time.

So yea, I agree with the previous comments that it's pretty risky and you should inform yourself about the risks and if it's worth risking that.

- Jax

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Jaximus i'm from the netherlands, know anything about it? cause Loong is actually a Chinese Game but Gamigo has the int version of that game.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Jaximus i'm from the netherlands, know anything about it? cause Loong is actually a Chinese Game but Gamigo has the int version of that game.

I don't know the laws of netherlands, but in the worst case you would probably have to pay a good amount of money instead of going to jail.
If you want to host a private server just for fun or just for you, go ahead and do it.
But if you advertise it publicly and many people play on it, the chance gets higher and higher that somewhen they get you.
If you want to be fairly safe you would have to use a server to do everything you do so it has a different IP, then use some security systems, ddos safety and some stuff like that. I'm normally not setting up servers so I don't know exactly what is needed.

But as already stated by others: I wouldn't recommend it.
If you know for sure that the game won't bring you good money and wouldn't be worth investing into everything, you should just get the idea out of your head.
Cause most of the times people are thinking : "My private server will be the best!" and then losing money because of all the costs that come with it.
Just think about it for a good time and see if you're willing to risk all that.

- Jax

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back