Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Remove "like this thread/post to download content"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retired
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that some users can force other users to like a thread in order to receive a link to some content in a thread. From my point of perspective, I find this immoral and pretty much useless. Although you can remove the like from a post, it is rather annoying. Imagine if you had to like some status on Facebook in order to see a picture of a nice girl you know? (Or imagine how pissed Reddit would be if this feature was added)
As how I see the like feature in general, you like content if you explicitly like it. This should not be tampered with through bots and you should not be paid per like you get on your post or whatever. You should however not be forced to like a status update in order to see the status update, as you have not yet seen the status update. For example, how can you like something you haven't seen or tried out? (Although some fanboys tend to do this, but this case is more ambiguous).
A general "like-cycle" would be:
See status -> Oh, this is really awesome! -> Upvotes/likes the status.
It should not be:
Like post -> Meh, this is not as good as what my friends tells me, this game actually sucks! -> Removes like

As it goes against the general "idea" of how likes/upvotes/points/whatever works, I find this immoral and I think you guys should consider removing this feature.

Retired
Reaction score
Re: Remove "like this thread/post to download content"

"(Or imagine how pissed Reddit would be if this feature was added) "

Pretty much sums it up.

This pretty much goes for any social network there is. Imagine the feminists on Tumblr having to like toll posts by 4chan in order to get triggered LOOL

I guess he has already seen that but wants to bring this to attention to staff and members again.
Yes, I don't feel that the previous thread had good enough examples on why (I think) like in order to get a link is wrong, which I hope is more clear here.

Reaction score
Never gonna happen: http://forum.ragezone.com/f600/remove-view-content-1051406/ - MenTaL kinda said so himself, only You (Yourself) and The General so far, have spoke about this / brought it up.. that's not enough for even MenTaL to even consider taking away this function. Just live with it, it's a $100 package for ffs, which goes to server bills etc. Also search before posting -.- god dam.

This should be, #Closed .

Last edited:
Reaction score
For more that I think it's wrong in a few cases, this feature is only for VIPs. Neither me (Gold Subscriber), have this feature. This is considered as a gift from MentaL, hence you are supporting he and his family, and for $100/year, I think it's fair to have such feature. I've seen only one thread which haves it (which is Azure's). As I said before, I think Download Links shouldn't have it, still, this isn't my decision to make.

Complementing what KyleeIsProzZ said, not only bills but personal stuff either as Family. Such features is what makes worth buying VIP (delete posts, threads, etc).

So my vote is that VIPs should have it with an certain restrictions.

Someone please close this hence it has already been replied on another thread.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
If someone would tag MentaL he will come sooner and put his smack down on it :)

Reaction score
I'm all in for supporting the admin and his forum, the only thing I disagree with is the way this feature is implemented. Like how the OP has stated, it kills the purpose and logic for liking posts, which is a huge turn-off for communities as big as this. I believe it can be re-thought.

Reaction score
I'm all in for supporting the admin and his forum, the only thing I disagree with is the way this feature is implemented. Like how the OP has stated, it kills the purpose and logic for liking posts, which is a huge turn-off for communities as big as this. I believe it can be re-thought.

I think about that you shouldn't hide contants that is mandatory.
Ex, in a release thread, you can't tag the download link, hence it's the rule to have the download link enabled. As for images.

You can do lots of things, even removing those.

Examples:

1. Like this if you want to extra images/features
  2. Like this if you want the source code (and when it's like would appear the Source Code URL, instead of binary)
  3. Like this if you want me to show my b**bs

That's what I think about the system. Despite that, is a good idea.

Nice to hide tits on spamzilla threads too

Ragezone Furni Releaser
Reaction score
And here we go again .....
You are not gonna die because someone has more likes than you.

Retired
Reaction score
For more that I think it's wrong in a few cases, this feature is only for VIPs. Neither me (Gold Subscriber), have this feature. This is considered as a gift from MentaL, hence you are supporting he and his family, and for $100/year, I think it's fair to have such feature. I've seen only one thread which haves it (which is Azure's). As I said before, I think Download Links shouldn't have it, still, this isn't my decision to make.

Complementing what @KyleeIsProzZ said, not only bills but personal stuff either as Family. Such features is what makes worth buying VIP (delete posts, threads, etc).

So my vote is that VIPs should have it with an certain restrictions.

Someone please close this hence it has already been replied on another thread.

First of all, I'm only taking this up to discussion again as I don't see that different views has been discussed enough.
Secondly, I'm not taking this up because I'm pissed or anything, only because I feel its fundamentally wrong. It is a part of the freedom of speech to be able to discuss issues when you see something is fundamentally wrong, especially when you see not all of those views has been properly discussed. And I don't really see many people contributing to this thread so far.

Let me come with (yet) another example. On Reddit, you can buy a gold subscription which disabled advertisement on the website and gives you access to a special subreddit for gold subscribers. The money they get from the gold subscriptions goes to server maintenance. I completely agree that its a good thing that the money goes to MentaL, but I think the features are also crucial. What if you could buy yourself an admin rank and start banning people you don't like?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
reasons have been posted by mental himself. It is a feature of the $100 sub you can buy. Its a pretty fair thing to have rewarded.

stop butt hurting. Me and mental are #1 and #2 on likes in the whole forum, so hardly breaking the balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back