Get rid of the PM message limit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ModeratorRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    776Posts

Get rid of the PM message limit

... Even for regular users.

This is a feature that is outdated and only on v-bulletin forums. Basically, each user group has a set inbox limit which is usually set on 50 for regular users and whatever for premium users.

I get it, you need bring attraction to get premium. The thing is, this limitation also hurt us Premium users that try PM normal users and they happen to have a full inbox which they usually don't notice.

Now for normal cases you can tell them to clear the inbox at visitor message, but sometimes a member has this turned off which makes it extremely difficult to get to them.

Anyway, this feature is dumb, so I am suggesting here to just get rid of it, unless you need to have it just to have 'premium benefits'.

GammaRank
    Jul 2007 Join Date
    3,317Posts

Re: Get rid of the PM message limit

I am sure it could be increased to 150-200, database wont get much bigger than it already is. I mean, paragraph of text is what, 3-4 kb?

SupervisorRank
    Dec 2011 Join Date
    2,150Posts

I agree, compared to how much space of hosting it really takes up, I think it can be put to a higher limited or removed completely... Well maybe with a limit it's a cheap protection against some spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by A Wise Man
    P-Servers are NOT dead. Bugs need squishing. Quests need fixing. Unfortunately, majority of people don't know the difference between a computer and a toaster so...

DeveloperRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    9,132Posts

Just clean up yer inbox
    If you are using Arcturus, contact me
    Discord: TheGeneral#0063

ModeratorRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    776Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Just clean up yer inbox
    While this is an easy solution a lot of people like to archive their conversations for reasons they may need later. Example deals, or other things that may require the PM later on.

I am not suggesting this for myself...

I am suggesting this because its annoying to have to message people sometimes to clear their inbox as well as some people actually wanting to keep (old) conversations, and because its a dumb v-bulletin exclusive 'feature'

ModeratorRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    776Posts

So, my premium after 2 years have expired.

Now, this happened

This is ridiculous. I am now forced to remove over 300 PM's to even use the PM feature again? There's really NO forum anymore that uses any kind of system like this but ragezone.

I am sorry but I am bumping this again to get rid of this. Its really silly.
    Last edited by Kimberly; 31-01-18 at 12:30 PM.
    Nobody is perfect. If you have any questions or problems please let me know.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2006 Join Date
    NetherlandsLocation
    1,153Posts

I don't see the problem.
    At all, just clean or subscribe again.
    Hate me or Love me, Just dont bother me!
    Only argument i lose, is a argument with my gf, where even when i am right i lose

WTF? Overkill!Rank
    Jan 2013 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    646Posts

I think it would be a great idea to at least get it adjusted so that this can't happen anymore or follow up on what @Kimberly said.
    The pressure of human nature does not equal the presence of human persistence.

ModeratorRank
    May 2009 Join Date
    Not in my headLocation
    16,014Posts

Perhaps increase the limit too 250-500 for normal users but the rest should be for subs for sure

my idea.

ModeratorRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    776Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThuGie View Post
    I don't see the problem.
    At all, just clean or subscribe again.
    Like I've mentioned already in this thread; we are in 2018. We backup everything, we put everything on the cloud, etc. Forcing to remove PM's which may have a use in future (they do) or if something happened with a specific member is not something I want to do.

Having to spend my time after being gold for 2 years deleting PM's (again, we are talking about 300+ here just to get PMing working again, probably additional 20 or so to have some 'proper space') is ridiculous and is just something that makes the PM space increase a 'you better be permanent gold or else you'll have a bad time', which is basically now because I can't send or receive PM's anymore until I 'clear' this space, which I am not going to do.

If however the feedback is not happening, I guess I will just stay PM-less until we move to Xenforo, which will without doubt remove this feature. I better not jinx it now

As for subscribing; if there was things that were attracting besides the PM limit LOL, I gladly would.
    Nobody is perfect. If you have any questions or problems please let me know.

ModeratorRank
    May 2007 Join Date
    InternetLocation
    2,551Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    If however the feedback is not happening, I guess I will just stay PM-less until we move to Xenforo, which will without doubt remove this feature. I better not jinx it now

As for subscribing; if there was things that were attracting besides the PM limit LOL, I gladly would.
    I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen in the near future, I suggest you just accept this and move on.

Or go for option B; organize a petition.

Moderator & Developer
    I CAN NOT HELP YOU WITH YOUR SERVER, USE THE CORRECT HELP SECTION INSTEAD.
    I AM ONLY TAIGA ON RAGEZONE!

DO NOT PM ME FOR GAME RELATED QUESTIONS, THESE MESSAGES WILL BE IGNORED!

True MemberRank
    Oct 2009 Join Date
    Under your bedLocation
    1,321Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Like I've mentioned already in this thread; we are in 2018. We backup everything, we put everything on the cloud, etc. Forcing to remove PM's which may have a use in future (they do) or if something happened with a specific member is not something I want to do.

Having to spend my time after being gold for 2 years deleting PM's (again, we are talking about 300+ here just to get PMing working again, probably additional 20 or so to have some 'proper space') is ridiculous and is just something that makes the PM space increase a 'you better be permanent gold or else you'll have a bad time', which is basically now because I can't send or receive PM's anymore until I 'clear' this space, which I am not going to do.

Is there any other way I could possibly reach you?
    Let's have a toast for the douchebags, Let's have a toast for the assholes, Let's have a toast for the scumbags,
    Every one of them that I know Let's have a toast to the jerkoffs That'll never take work off Baby, I got a plan Run away fast as you can

ModeratorRank
    Jan 2009 Join Date
    632Posts

I'm not quite sure what 2018 has to do with anything, but multiple forum softwares and multiple sites still apply this.

You can however hit "Select All" in your folders and download all of your pm's in different formats and then just delete them on site ;)

We all wish for the site to goto xenforo, however we as staff are also in the dark as well.....

Taiga said it best:
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
    I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen in the near future, I suggest you just accept this and move on.

I AM ONLY KETCHUP ON RAGEZONE!
    ALL GAME RELATED PM'S WILL BE IGNORED.
    Discord [¤] Facebook [¤] Rules [¤] Subscribe [¤] Support

ModeratorRank
    May 2009 Join Date
    Not in my headLocation
    16,014Posts

Btw if you reach more posts like 1000 or 2000/5000 i think by your member Rank your inbox capacity increases? i'm not sure anymore atm but i remember something similar @Not4You @Future @Biesmen ?

DeveloperRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    9,132Posts

Spam and obtain omega and you can store 250 messages!!!

But guys, understand that storage space is really expensive nowadays.

When I asked a couple years ago to have the limit raised for omega, I got a whole 50 extra slots

I can understand to not give a lot of space to members that aren't really active. Really active people (Like me and I guess Kimberley) often get 3-10 messages every day.
    If you are using Arcturus, contact me
    Discord: TheGeneral#0063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advertisement