Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Two suggestions

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1) On the main page, where the UserGroup Legend is at the bottom. I suggest making it so you can click on the ranks and get a list of the people in that category. I don't think it would bog down the forum, and it'd be nice for people who don't have the opportunity to know all of the Mods/Higher Mods to know who they can report things to directly, rather than always resorting to the report button and wondering if it gets dealt with.

2) For the MapleStory section, I suggest allowing Mods to basically Power trip. Not so much to where it's a dictatorship, but more so, allowing them to be more strict. There should also be a "rules" you must accept when you first go into the section. It would help with "new" people, so they don't make the section look more like poop by posting in the wrong place, posting about things that are against the rules, etc etc. If you take this suggestion into consideration, I could come up with a rules page, that has links to each sticky and/or section with detailed instructions on what can/can't be done. I know, I know... this should be common sense, but if you've spent even 5 minutes in that section, you'd know common sense died a long time ago.

Retired
Reaction score
1. Wait for MentaL.

2. People should learn to read the stickies in each section and the official forum rules before posting.

No one ever reads those rules that pop up anyways, they just wait the 20 seconds and accept.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1. Wait for MentaL.

2. People should learn to read the stickies in each section and the official forum rules before posting.

No one ever reads those rules that pop up anyways, they just wait the 20 seconds and accept.

I agree that people should read the stickies but with the pop up, there's no excuse. They can't say "Oh, I didn't see them.". It would be right there with no way of avoiding it, hence why I'm suggesting it, so you guys can be more strict because let's face it... people there tend to believe they can walk all over that section, and in a sense they can because as active as you guys are, there are times when you're not.

Retired
Reaction score
I agree that people should read the stickies but with the pop up, there's no excuse. They can't say "Oh, I didn't see them.". It would be right there with no way of avoiding it, hence why I'm suggesting it, so you guys can be more strict because let's face it... people there tend to believe they can walk all over that section, and in a sense they can because as active as you guys are, there are times when you're not.

If they don't follow the rules they get an infraction.. What's hard to understand about that?

Omega Male
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If they don't follow the rules they get an infraction.. What's hard to understand about that?
No, I think he means to lessen the infractions being handled out so mods in a busy section will have their job easier, also they can focus more on improving quality of posts and ideas rather than spending all day ban-hammering different new members for the same reason over and over again.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Because obviously you've been on forums for too long to realize what it's like to be new again. A lot of people don't understand the concept of a sticky. To them, it's another thread, which is why they don't look at it. Why infract someone for something that could be avoided by immediately showing them the rules when they first enter the section? At least by doing this, if they break the rules, they did it with full knowledge they were breaking the rules. What's so hard to understand about that?

Reaction score
I suggest making something for new users at the forum, after they register
and login, make something like.

You cannot spam, spam will lead you to ban.
[TEXTBOX]Please write "I will not spam."[/TEXTBOX]
and then if it's correct they go to the next question [3 questions]
that way they can enjoy and make a "quiz" for them to nderstand.

Retired
Reaction score
I suggest making something for new users at the forum, after they register
and login, make something like.

You cannot spam, spam will lead you to ban.
[TEXTBOX]Please write "I will not spam."[/TEXTBOX]
and then if it's correct they go to the next question [3 questions]
that way they can enjoy and make a "quiz" for them to nderstand.

Sorry but I think that Shawn's idea was better than that.

@Shawn, MentaL would be the one to add that in.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
For your first point, as Dan already pointed out, you can view all members of staff here. It's also clearly labeled on the home page of the forum near the bottom.

For your second point, I disagree. The rules are in place no matter what - regardless if a user accepts them or not. There's a reason moderators are in that section, and that is to enforce the rules. If they see a user breaking the rules, they have the right to warn/infract him for his wrong doing, and suggest him to read over the rules. This in my opinion is a lot more effective, as the user realizes that they have done wrong, and most of the time will take it upon their selves to correct the problem. However if they don't, they will be subject to more infractions and eventually banned for a certain period of time.

But to get back on topic, if users were subject to accept certain rules it would be no different than them having to read a thread of rules - they simply will ignore it, and just press accept. I also see no reason why moderators can't be strict, as it is there job to find users infringing on the rules, and to react appropriately.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
For your first point, as Dan already pointed out, you can view all members of staff here. It's also clearly labeled on the home page of the forum near the bottom.

For your second point, I disagree. The rules are in place no matter what - regardless if a user accepts them or not. There's a reason moderators are in that section, and that is to enforce the rules. If they see a user breaking the rules, they have the right to warn/infract him for his wrong doing, and suggest him to read over the rules. This in my opinion is a lot more effective, as the user realizes that they have done wrong, and most of the time will take it upon their selves to correct the problem. However if they don't, they will be subject to more infractions and eventually banned for a certain period of time.

But to get back on topic, if users were subject to accept certain rules it would be no different than them having to read a thread of rules - they simply will ignore it, and just press accept. I also see no reason why moderators can't be strict, as it is there job to find users infringing on the rules, and to react appropriately.

I'm looking at it from a new persons' point of view. I don't feel it's right they should immediately be "punished" for something they may not have known was wrong. Most Mods don't give warnings anymore. They throw the infraction card on the first wrong doing. Yes, people will most likely ignore the rules and press accept, but with a rule sheet in place, they can't use the excuse they didn't see the rules, which I'm sure you can agree seems to be one of the most common excuses. Also, newer people may not understand the concept of a stickied thread. I know when I first joined a forum, I had no idea what they were, and assumed they were merely threads. Seeing as how I came to the section for a reason, I ignored them and went about what I came to do because my reason for being there wasn't to look at a thread. I don't know if you understood that right but I can't think of how else to explain it.

Yes, I fully agree Mods should be strict, but within reason. Honestly, I feel they may be too lenient as is, and this will help because every person is given ample opportunity to review the rules, rather than get into trouble due to lack of knowledge on where to find such rules. Take the MapleStory for example. One of the biggest no nos in the section is anything Wz related. If a member joined the forum to ask about it, they would assume that, being a private server development forum, such topics are allowed. I mean, private servers are illegal for the most part, so why would they think Wz topics wouldn't be allowed? At least with these rules, we can notify them of what exactly is and isn't allowed beforehand. Even if it's just a rules sheet that links to each sticky so they can review the rules and/or can know where to find them, would be better than just "hoping" someone is smart enough to know where they are.

Retired
Reaction score
An infraction expires after 14-30 days, as long as you don't get 3 in a row than you won't get infraction banned.

I do give warnings still, some moderators may not that's their choice I guess.

(Threads that contain WZ edits, will just be deleted. I don't think any moderators give infractions for it.)

Last edited:
Back