Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Talisman Online Private Server detailed instructions for the newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I followed your guide step by step and run into problems you do not have on here but I was able to fix them all after trail and error. However, there is a problem I cant figure out. NOTE: I have went thru all the .ini files as well as all the run.sh but to no avail.

With that said, this is the error I am getting.

./run.sh: lin 3: ulimit: guard.pid: invalid number

I have tried to change the -f to -c unlimited as well as too many different number but none work. This error is made when I try to run ./run.sh for the game server.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hello William i read the post about the Talisman Privet server but when i got to the create user 'navicat'@'%' identified by 'password' ok i get that and after that all u say i exit mysql and i cant edit the my.cnf fail i dont have promission i read the replay's but i cant get it right :blink: i don't understand much but im trying my best so can u help me a little :blushing:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This One Wrong !

"sudo nano /ect/network/interfaces" (This will open a new window)

Now the next section I am going to put spaces in front to signify the start and end so you can easily see better how it works. Just make sure you get everything in exactly as I type it remembering case sensitivity!

auto lo etho2
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.69.69
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.69.1

Its "sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces"

and Use:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.69.69
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.69.254
gateway 192.168.69.1

And it will Work Fine :thumbup:

And thx dude i like your Guide!!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know where to start,lol
First i would like to thank WilliamW1979 for the time and help.

I spent trying to make a server for over a week, around 15 hours a day, am not exaggerating.:*:
I hate the way i am, if i start something i will go trough hell to finish it.
I took so many painkillers for the headaches i have/had....
Now , to be honest i wish i would have never seen this forum, i would not have the base from where to start.

This thread is very detailed, and i bet that for people that do know a bit of programing or worked in the past with this , this thread would be easy as pie, But for people like me its not.
It would be easy if everything would run smooth, but if something don't work u stuck there for days, literally.

Now, no matter what what Navicat you install, there is no way you can do '#bind-address = 127.0.0.1"

I downloaded 12 and installed /uninstalled restarted pc cleaned.....etc, no way it works.
I got it to work finally after spending hours on forums looking up what others tried. put this in terminal "sudo bash" and u can do it no problem.

THIS

[/QUOTE]
Now go to linux and type in the following commands

Now the next section I am going to put spaces in front to signify the start and end so you can easily see better how it works. Just make sure you get everything in exactly as I type it remembering case sensitivity!

auto lo etho2
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.69.69
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.69.1
[/QUOTE]

Never works , no matter what i tried, i get no directory, it opens up but cant save, i click Y to same, takes me to the file and i click enter, i get no such directory. so u can get stuck here forever or skip it hoping you can do without it.
[/QUOTE]

Reply from 192.168.69.69: bytes-32 time =1ms TTL=64

[/QUOTE]

This works even if u dont have mysql installed, that is useless i recone, and typing mysgl.....etc in cmd never works, i get 'mysql is not recognized as an internal or external command

And please believe me i followed instructions to the letter, first time i did no listen and i installed ubuntu 64bit, i got much further than now thats for sure, but it never found cd db.. or "./run.sh, could not find file, and after days it did but permission denied:scared:

This is the 6th time i deleted,cleaned,reinstalled virtual box,ubuntu.......etc to start over, this time i did install 32bit, but now cant get past navicat connecting to server, error 10061, i know that that error is to do with permission...so i closed trend micro, all security,... get the same thing, and yes the ip is the one in virtual net protocol4.... done all from instructions.
This file "unrar x game.rar" never been able to work "cd login" same for that/..this never found as well "cd talisman"..

[/QUOTE]
At this point I ran into an error with the login/run.sh file stating .run.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory. This error means that original file was not converted correctly to linux/unix from the original operating system, so we do this:

"cd login"
"gedit run2.sh"

Now type in all the details for the login/run.sh from above. Once you are done Save and Quit. Then typing "./run2.sh" should run properly. Easy fix but I like things uniform so so will do this:

"mv run2.sh run.sh"

[/QUOTE]

Here i have no clue,it says copy all the details for the login/run.sh from above. wtf?? what files from above?? there are lots above, and if i copy the same file from run.sh to run2.sh is confusing.
Or maybe its my fault, my English is not 100%, but i never had problems with instructions before.

This things above are only the very few problems i ran into, here is one other annoying problem, this>>>"sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart"
i get THIS...>>" Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart job,you may also use the restart(8) utility,e.g restart mysql mysql start/running, process 5264"
So again in trouble, so if i do that i get more error>>>>>

restart: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules: type="method_call",sender=":1.59" (uid=999 pid=5333 comm="restart) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Restart" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

:scared::scared:AM I SUPPOSE TO KNOW WHAT THAT IS? lol

Oh i almost forgot, the first 2 days over 30 house i lost coz i had no clue what william meant by:

.[/QUOTE]

"gedit server_user.ini"

Replace every ConnectIP with "localhost". Replace ListenPortal and Location with your IP address. If you put 127.0.0.1 as as the ListenPortal you won't be able to connect, you need the 192.168.69.70 number or the one you used. You will also put this IP Address at the bottom in the last section next to all the sv. You can change the Description and name to anything you like, whatever you change the name to will appear on your server list like Brilliant Diamond or Big Fish. For the sake of this guide I will say "Dark" as the name.

.[/QUOTE]

.[/QUOTE]
Change all the IP Addresses to "127.0.0.1" and at the bottom sv1 and sv2 values to also to "127.0.0.1" and Save/Quit.

.[/QUOTE]

.................ETC

ALL THE FILES WERE EMPTY, i was thinking change what?? they bloody empty! lost 2 day to finally figured out the he is talking about the files here>>>> http://forum.ragezone.com/f603/talisman-online-full-server-client-656662/ NO MENTION ABOUT THIS IN INSTRATIONS.

Anyway, i am gone say it out loud.:blushing:

IF YOU ARE A NOOB LIKE ME AND KNOW ABSOLUTLLY NOTHING ABOUT PROGRAMING DONT GO INTO THIS!!! DONT EVEN THINK OF STARTING IF YOU DONT WHAT TO LITURLLY BANG YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE MONITOR, BELIVE ME, I AM ABOUT TOO.:grr::grr::grr:

I am worst off now that when i first started, now cant connect at all to mysql, at least with linux 64bit i did connect.
Maybe i will install that version again and restart again, one good this tho, i learned few things for what its worth.

Anyway the problems above are only the very few.

Wish me luck, i cant stop, i will keep trying, i wish i had some cash, i would gladly pay someone to do this for me:blushing:

Oh well, life sux, i m out.:*:

PS: sorry for my spelling mistakes.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
:thumbup: i finely had some luck, everything went smooth with mysql and connection.
Found a mistake. i wish i would have found it earlier, would have saved me lots of time.
IN HERE

auto lo etho2
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.69.69
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.69.1

Its actually sudo nano/etc/network/interface, i am surprised i did not notice earlier

Now i am at GAME SERVER part and already problems,lols

Here you go:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mv ./Downloads/* ./talisman

mv: cannot stat `./Downloads/*': No such file or directory

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install unrar-free

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Package unrar-free is not available, but is referred to by another package.

This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or

is only available from another source

E: Package 'unrar-free' has no installation candidate

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd talisman

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/talisman$ unrar x game.rar

The program 'unrar' can be found in the following packages:

* unrar-free (You will have to enable component called 'universe')

* unrar (You will have to enable component called 'multiverse')

Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/talisman$

If anyone could let me know what is that i am doing wrong please help me, i would be very grateful.

Sudo pack i thing i installed earlier, so probably that's why the error.

And of course i cant continue coz i get:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/talisman$ cd db
bash: cd: db: No such file or directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/talisman$

Please help, thank you:*:

wow its almost 3 am, i will try a bit more n go to bed. i am out.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
:grr:everytime i restart UBUNTU , i have to start from scratch, nothing is there, not even bookmarks.

And it seems that i cant mount the old patition to start ubuntu.

Any idea here in "Ghost Town"?

I am up to this part and stuck,"mv game_server.evp game_server.evp.old" <<<NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY. lols

but if i cant get my files from ubuntu i have to start again.:grr::grr::grr:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
WOW! The amount of helpful ppl here is amazing,Please not all at once! xD

Anyway i had to start over again as ubuntu crashed and when restarted lost everything, for some reason i cant mount that partition, as i am totally linux dumb i have no idea.

Anyway i am up to this part
"cd talisman"
"cd db"
"rm *.pid -f"
"./run.sh"

I get the following error"

./run.sh: 6: /home/OWNER/db/guard: not found

mv: cannot start 'run2.sh'; no such file or directory

Any idea? please help. thank you:*::*::*:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am still stuck here. oviouslly this forum is dead, this side anyway.

:*::*::*:[/QUOTE]

"cd talisman"
"cd db"
"rm *.pid -f"
"./run.sh"

I get the following error

./run.sh: 6: /home/#@%^/db/guard: not found

Ok, no point keep posting, coz it looks like i am talking to myself,rofl:thumbdown:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am still stuck here. oviouslly this forum is dead, this side anyway.

:*::*::*:

"cd talisman"
"cd db"
"rm *.pid -f"
"./run.sh"

I get the following error

./run.sh: line 6: /home/#@%^/db/guard: No such file or directory found

Ok, no point keep posting, coz it looks like i am talking to myself,rofl:thumbdown:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
no one reply bcuz everyone is following the video posted here.

I have seen this videos, it does not show what happens if you run in trouble.AND i dont undestand what he says, its not in english.
And the first video shows 4 folders on the desktop already, what are they? where he got them from?....:/:, so oviosly he did not start from begining.:?:

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have seen this videos, it does not show what happens if you run in trouble.AND i dont undestand what he says, its not in english.
And the first video shows 4 folders on the desktop already, what are they? where he got them from?....:/:, so oviosly he did not start from begining.:?:

why should it will show u when u run into trouble when the video is a success? even I my self success creating a server following the video and I don't understand a single word he said.. but I follow what he do and click everything he click. :rolleyes:
Obviously he got the file from here. He DID start from the beginning. But take note, the video only show u LAN server not WAN. There is a tutorial on how to make ur server WAN. Try to search every topic that is posted here. AND yes, the video is more easier to follow than this tutorial. :thumbup:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
why should it will show u when u run into trouble when the video is a success? even I my self success creating a server following the video and I don't understand a single word he said.. but I follow what he do and click everything he click. :rolleyes:
Obviously he got the file from here. He DID start from the beginning. But take note, the video only show u LAN server not WAN. There is a tutorial on how to make ur server WAN. Try to search every topic that is posted here. AND yes, the video is more easier to follow than this tutorial. :thumbup:

Thanks for trying to help.
those files he has on the desktop look different than the ones i downloaded from the link u also said. but i will try to work with that.
but i got a bigger problem if u able to help me with.
Everytime i restart ubuntu its like i reinstalled it, all my folders, bookmarks...not there, cant start on the partition i had, now i have to start from scratch again.
If u know plz let me know,for 2 days did look on ubuntu forums but it seems to not be able to fix it.

Thank you again, you the only one that replied:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Far out, i must be dumb coz i have no clue what that guy is doing on that video, it shows him downloading navicat than uploading something on file front, lol
What in the world is he uploading and why?
i dont know how others managed to make server based on this video, coz i cant even start, discouraged from start.

1 dont know what files he has on desktop, it says "server..2007" i have no clue.

2 He is uploading something, what in the world he uploads, beats me.

No point for me to continue with that tutorial, as the only thing i understand is to download Navicat......

Anyway i wont bother you all for help, as there is no true tutorial here for NOOBS.

All the best guys.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help.
those files he has on the desktop look different than the ones i downloaded from the link u also said. but i will try to work with that.
but i got a bigger problem if u able to help me with.
Everytime i restart ubuntu its like i reinstalled it, all my folders, bookmarks...not there, cant start on the partition i had, now i have to start from scratch again.
If u know plz let me know,for 2 days did look on ubuntu forums but it seems to not be able to fix it.

Thank you again, you the only one that replied:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Far out, i must be dumb coz i have no clue what that guy is doing on that video, it shows him downloading navicat than uploading something on file front, lol
What in the world is he uploading and why?
i dont know how others managed to make server based on this video, coz i cant even start, discouraged from start.

1 dont know what files he has on desktop, it says "server..2007" i have no clue.

2 He is uploading something, what in the world he uploads, beats me.

No point for me to continue with that tutorial, as the only thing i understand is to download Navicat......

Anyway i wont bother you all for help, as there is no true tutorial here for NOOBS.

All the best guys.

I don't know what ur ubuntu problem is.. but.. try to use this one..

Code:
http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ubuntu-Server-Karmic-Koala-Download-47615.html

it is what I used.. and for server file is this one..

Code:
Part 1 - http://www.filefront.com/17169636/Server207reconfigurev1.part01.rar/
Part 2 - http://www.filefront.com/17169658/Server207reconfigurev1.part02.rar/
Part 3 - http://www.filefront.com/17169689/Server207reconfigurev1.part03.rar/
Part 4 - http://www.filefront.com/17169698/Server207reconfigurev1.part04.rar/

In the video, he was uploading this file (the server file) so that we can download it lol. Many confused with this one, even some of them upload it too just in the video. If u followed the video, u might be stuck at the mounting folder. If u stuck here, just copy the folder from window and paste it in the ubuntu(It works). Try another to make another one. goodluck :thumbup:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Windows XP Network Setup

I am sorry I won't have anything in front of me to confirm my instructions. So you may need to improvise. You will have to play with your settings until you get it setup right. The NAT will allow you to get internet through your current setup without a bridge, what you need though is for your Virtual Box to actually get an IP address your Windows can see. Once you create the bridge you can follow the diections for the Ubuntu setup. Then scroll down to the Testing connection to see if you can establish a connection

can anyone teach me how to do it with windows xP...??

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't know what ur ubuntu problem is.. but.. try to use this one..

Code:
http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ubuntu-Server-Karmic-Koala-Download-47615.html

it is what I used.. and for server file is this one..

Code:
Part 1 - http://www.filefront.com/17169636/Server207reconfigurev1.part01.rar/
Part 2 - http://www.filefront.com/17169658/Server207reconfigurev1.part02.rar/
Part 3 - http://www.filefront.com/17169689/Server207reconfigurev1.part03.rar/
Part 4 - http://www.filefront.com/17169698/Server207reconfigurev1.part04.rar/

In the video, he was uploading this file (the server file) so that we can download it lol. Many confused with this one, even some of them upload it too just in the video. If u followed the video, u might be stuck at the mounting folder. If u stuck here, just copy the folder from window and paste it in the ubuntu(It works). Try another to make another one. goodluck :thumbup:

Sry, i haven't logged in here for a while, i just started to give this a go.
First i would like to thank you for your reply, so thank you very much for that.
Yeah i am at the mounting problem, all permissions done folder is displayed into ubuntu i just cant access it, it says:'UNABLE TO MOUNT LOCATION:Failed to Mount Windows Share"
Been looking on forums, and tried a lot of things , and nothing works.
The copy paste from windows to ubuntu dont work for me.:*:

Anyway ,thanx again for help, since you the only one here that replied. all the best m8.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I managed to mount folder, all worked perfect, till i tried to to open EVP from windows, cant open it, i tried to run it in all compatibilities with no results, i have no idea what else to do, i run win7 64bit system.
Any idea anyone?:*::*::*:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back